JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at hood locks to help with the slight hood flutter but also to keep everything under the hood secure. However I was wondering if the Bolt brand (or mopar) hood lock can be left in the unlocked position? I ask this because when offroading I may end up in a situation where I need to get under the hood quickly (fire) so I would like to be able to just unlock it and leave it unlocked at the trail head.

·
Probably Stuck on my Diff
1,276 Posts
My mopar hood lock doesnt do anything for the flutter, just as bad as my previous jeeps without one.

I cannot leave it unlocked without leaving the key in it as well.

·
Registered
364 Posts
My hood lock didn't decrease flutter, and couldn't be left in the unlocked position. What did eliminate my hood flutter was nor reinstalling the inner fenders when I put on metal flares. Also my hood lock broke and now I don't need to unlock it to open the hood. It is still on there, but doesn't function.

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Zippy-tie-yay, Martha Fawker!

I have been looking at hood locks to help with the slight hood flutter but also to keep everything under the hood secure. However I was wondering if the Bolt brand (or mopar) hood lock can be left in the unlocked position? I ask this because when offroading I may end up in a situation where I need to get under the hood quickly (fire) so I would like to be able to just unlock it and leave it unlocked at the trail head.
I have the Mopar hood lock, and it does hold the key captive while unlocked.
My "fix" is to carry a cheap (non-chipped) key copy from the hardware store, just to use for the hood lock.
However, the hood lock doesn't cure hood flutter ( AKA "death warble?" :dunno: :D )

On mine, it decreased hood flutter by about 90%.
I've had a similar experience. It doesn't kill the flutter, but it limits the travel to below shorts-staining proportions.
I still felt the need to zip tie the hood latches, because I didn't want to beat the hood lock to shit (it's not unbreakable).

Taking the hood spring off will help to decrease the flutter.
Yep! Ditching the spring cut down on flutter for me, too.
Zip ties killed it entirely for under a buck.

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/stock-jk-tech-dept/27397-help-hood-asap-please.html
I think post 29 has a picture. $1.00 or so to fix, no issues after a couple years.
Here's my half-assed attempt at a full-on writeup:
I had a zip tie break right before my summer vacation, so I took a few pics to fully explain the cheap ass’s remedy to hood flutter.
I'm guessing someone has written this up somewhere, but I'm assuming this will help someone, so here goes . . .

Here’s the zip tie that broke (probably about a year old = acceptable lifespan by my reasoning) laid next to the hood latch to show how it is routed.

Notice also the 2 bends on the tail of the new zip tie – just fold over and pinch – this makes the next steps much easier.

Feed zip tie tail between latch handle and rubber link . . .

Wiggle shit around, pull some through, and shove the curved tail down between the rubber link and the mounting base, then rotate the latch upward . . .

Wiggle shit around, pull some through, and get it to where the latch of the zip tie ends up at the bottom of the rubber link when hood latch is latched.
Then latch the hood latch and zip the zip tie.

Flush-cutting dykes will leave no sharp plastic nasties to cut you open . . .

. . . especially if you don’t hold them crooked like the eediot taking this picture. :D
EDIT 12-7-18: fixed pics ^^^ (photosuckit unfuskification)

Aftermarket elastomer links or complete hood latches will fix it, too . . . but not for under a buck and 5 minutes

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info yall. I was really liking the idea of it being locked down but as I read in another post somewhere I dont like the idea of it being locked down atleast on the trail where I may have a fire. Not liking the idea of leaving a key in it to keep it unlocked on the trail either. Oh well zip-tie mod it is for the win then!

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
Hey ljlackey, I just thought of one more option for you.

I have a Mopar hood lock, but a few pieces of other security gear by Tuffy.
On all my Tuffy stuff, the key is removable when locked or unlocked.

No personal experience with their hood lock, but it might be worth you eyeballing:

2007+ JK Hook Lock <-- one 'a dem dere sooper-fancy clickety-link thingamawhatzits

Now I can be of no further use on the subject . . .

Attachments

·
14ers
479 Posts
Not trying to hijack -but I’m having trouble locating one - does anyone know where I can pickup a replacement latch for the hood? Not the whole thing (stealership wants $70), but just the plastic part that “cam-locks” into the hood portion? I guess it would be hte plastic part on the upper end of hte rubber strap? My old Daystar strap gave way and the buckle fell off somewhere. :frown2:

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts

·
14ers
479 Posts
I don't think you are going to be able to find just that one piece. Quadratec has the whole thing for way cheaper.

Yeah, I saw that, but felt bad over-buying as I already have the Daystar straps in hand. But I guess I’ll have to start a new parts bin in the garage for hood latch components .... :wink2:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts