JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's into water sports....NO, not where your domestic partner stands over you and ........the outdoor water sports kind...boating, sailing, kayaking, water ski, fishing, etc. Post your rides and wet adventures.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
let me see if I can get my friend to send me the pictures from this past weekend doing a little kayacking

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
I have REALLY been wanting to get into Kyaking. Specifically white water. Only problem is you probably shouldn't go by yourself. I just moved here so I do not know anybody. I suppose I could try to find some local group to go with. I just wish I could buy a boat and go!

Any Colorado people on here Kayak? need a partner?? lol.
Does anybody know of a good white water kayak forum? haven't found a good one yet..

·
Registered
712 Posts
I do a lot of bay kayaking, or did until this year (hurt my back, still working out a great way to carry it w/ the wrangler, other responsibilities, etc.) - I use a Tarpon 160i as my preferred 'craft. I think I logged close to 400 miles paddling last year, but the longest trip was a two day round-trip from Port O'connor TX to Matagorda Island. It was pretty hair-raising to try and paddle my boat back across the ICW on a Saturday evening - think barges, jet-skis, and 10+ foot wakes. There was a crowd cheering me on from the marina when I landed. One claimed to have to coast guard ready in case I got hit *laugh*

Mostly though, I paddle for my photography hobby, I like to photograph the GLO cabins throughout the bays here. Some of which is found here: http://shutterdrone.wordpress.com/

!c

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
New toy....thank you high fuel prices....boat sales are really hurting and I can write my own ticket

View attachment 1962

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you -T-...now I have to get it up to Virginia

·
Registered
11 Posts

This is how we rolled before buying the Jeep. :shaking:

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
I was a river guide on the Ocoee and Chattooga back in 2000, so when I wasnt trying to stay upright with 6 lazy, screaming, non paddling, camp kids in the boat I was paddling a wavesport z and then a wavesport super ez. Unfortunately for me Im a much better firefighter than I was a whitewater kayaker, so as I got older and the river started to hurt more I had to make a choice, the fire dept won, and the kayak got sold.

·
Registered
225 Posts
oooh! I dig the sparkly blue MasterCraft. Here's my most recent boat.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Did my first solo BWCA kayak trip last sept. Loved it.

I'm still trying to figure out how the heck to mount my yak on the new JK. I also need to be able to throw my canoe on there, but I'm more into kayaking, usually go 2-3 times a week.

damn I wish winter would end. :(

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm still trying to figure out how the heck to mount my yak on the new JK
I'm too cheap for a rack and just throw three ratchet straps on it, hard top or no top, usually carry an eighty pound canoe and a thirty five pound kayak, or two kayaks with no problems so far. Lately I've been leaving a kayak on just in case I can sneak out for a two hour lunch if the weathers nice (the weight also reduces my shimmy)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm too cheap for a rack and just throw three ratchet straps on it, hard top or no top, usually carry an eighty pound canoe and a thirty five pound kayak, or two kayaks with no problems so far. Lately I've been leaving a kayak on just in case I can sneak out for a two hour lunch if the weathers nice (the weight also reduces my shimmy)

cool. what are your straps hooked to? I have tow hooks in front, but they don't seem safe to tie to, and I don't know what to do in the back. The plastic bumpers seem incapable of tying to since they are... plastic.

·
Registered
32 Posts
what are your straps hooked to?
Passenger side under the stock bumper there's a hole to what feel like a solid piece of steel. I just hook that. The rear is connected to the hitch.

Be careful when tightening it and tightening the side straps through the doors, I've heard it's easy to over tighten and crack the top, though I've never had this problem, even drove over 1k miles with a canoe and kayak on top with no problems.

damn I wish winter would end.
I love the end of winter, solitary, chunks of ice floating around and snow capped peaks. The boundary waters look like a beautiful place to be able to go so often.

·
Registered
144 Posts

cool setup. looks like a perception search.;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts