JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NO not a gun but I figure this question is best asked here. My wife wants me to make her something (an art project). I happen to have on hand some stainless that would be perfect for this project however she does not want it bright. I know I could paint it but I would prefer to see the material (read know it's metal) through the top coat if you will. I was thinking a bottle of DIY gun blueing would work to dull the shine yet still show it is metal versus painting it. I know this stuff is not actual gun blueing however I am not talking a gun here I just want to dull the stainless to a satin blackened finish. Will it work or is there something better/easier?

·
Registered
749 Posts
NO not a gun but I figure this question is best asked here. My wife wants me to make her something (an art project). I happen to have on hand some stainless that would be perfect for this project however she does not want it bright. I know I could paint it but I would prefer to see the material (read know it's metal) through the top coat if you will. I was thinking a bottle of DIY gun blueing would work to dull the shine yet still show it is metal versus painting it. I know this stuff is not actual gun blueing however I am not talking a gun here I just want to dull the stainless to a satin blackened finish. Will it work or is there something better/easier?
Yes, buy some good cold Blue, it will darken it, maybe a couple of coats.
Good Luck,

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I used it before on an old shotgun and while I was satisfied it was protected I did not like the results. I was not sure if it would work given the composition of stainless steel versus good old fashioned rustable.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
I'm not sure how well a cold blue will take to SS, but I know you can hot blue SS. Something like Oxynate 84 in a hot tank will blue SS. Blued SS tends to have a matte finish due to the difference in blue on chromium and carbon.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Cold blue probably won't work but you can bead blast the S.S. and it will have a duller finish.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts