JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Wrangler JK
I blew the fusible link wire from the battery to looks like the alternator.
Can someone please tell me the wire size so I can order the correct fusible link wire, and copper butt connectors.
I don't want to replace the whole cable.
Any advice is welcome, and thanks in advance.
Riley
Had trouble with photo attachment.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
What gauge is the rest of the wire? From what I've read it's 6 gauge, in which case a 10 gauge fusible link wire should be good. Just make sure to match the length of the original wire as close as you can, because length has a lot to do with the amperage carrying capacity of the wire before it burns open.

Also, you can't post pictures on here until you have more posts (I think 10). If you use an image hosting site, you can post the links here.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Rich for the reply.
I can’t tell the color, it got fused with the shrink insulation, plus I have seen the same color of fusible link wire in different sizes. I asked the dealer what size the battery cable wire is but the parts guy didn’t really try to find out. I live out in the boonies and have a bad neck and didn’t feel like driving all over town so came home and tried here. I looked on the battery wire insulation for the ga size but could find anything.
Everything I have read says you step down 4 ga sizes for the fusible link, so I will go with that when I’m sure of the battery wire size.
I would post a photo, or a link but this sight won’t let me.
If someone goes over to the Jeep Wrangler forum they can see my post in JK forum, “tech” under Caped Crusader “fuselink size 2010 JK” these a photo there.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
Thank you Rich for the reply.
I can’t tell the color, it got fused with the shrink insulation, plus I have seen the same color of fusible link wire in different sizes. I asked the dealer what size the battery cable wire is but the parts guy didn’t really try to find out. I live out in the boonies and have a bad neck and didn’t feel like driving all over town so came home and tried here. I looked on the battery wire insulation for the ga size but could find anything.
Everything I have read says you step down 4 ga sizes for the fusible link, so I will go with that when I’m sure of the battery wire size.
I would post a photo, or a link but this sight won’t let me.
If someone goes over to the Jeep Wrangler forum they can see my post in JK forum, “tech” under Caped Crusader “fuselink size 2010 JK” these a photo there.
Be aware, most say to step down four numbers, not gauge sizes. So a 4 gauge would need an 8 gauge fusible link, 6 gauge would use 10 gauge, etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks BigTB
I meant 4 sizes not 4 ga’s.
I’m not very good at judging wire sizes just looking at them, not great eyes. I pealed back the battery cable wire looking for a ga imprint but couldn’t see one.
If the wire is 6 ga I have a crimper for that, if it’s 4 ga I will have to return it and get a bigger one. I have some 10 ga fusible link wire I got from a friend.
I just want to do it right.
Riley
Boy they sure make it hard here to post a photo, or link especially when you really need the help.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
What are you doing to address why the fuse went poppity?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Old man user error. Late at night, freezing out, not feeling good, touched the wrong cable on the battery. Looks like the fusible link did its job. Checked all the fuses they are OK. I guess I will find out if it’s ok after I re-wire it.
Riley

1 - 9 of 9 Posts