JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search, but couldn't find anything really. (I probably wasn't searching correctly…so I'm sorry if this has been answered before.)

I change my oil regularly. Most recently I changed it about a month and a half ago. No noises or anything weird that was noticeable. I left this morning to take my child to daycare and I hear a noise, then suddenly that noise becomes worse and it sounds like someone dumped golf balls in the motor. Soon after the Jeep quit running and wouldn't start back.

Got it towed to a shop. Motor is gone. :gluging: Bearing spun is initial diagnosis.

What's my options? I made a few calls. That shop is willing to do a Jasper motor with all the updates, fluids, tax, tow bill, out the door price at $5200. Dealership said it will be $6500+++ for Mopar motor out the door.

I called ATK and they said they are 5-6 weeks out on Jeep motors. Sorry. Short of doing a Hemi swap, what other options should I be looking at? Other companies???

I don't want a used one because they are notoriously a bad motor and this will happen again.

FML

·
Registered
151 Posts
I did a search, but couldn't find anything really. (I probably wasn't searching correctly…so I'm sorry if this has been answered before.)

I change my oil regularly. Most recently I changed it about a month and a half ago. No noises or anything weird that was noticeable. I left this morning to take my child to daycare and I hear a noise, then suddenly that noise becomes worse and it sounds like someone dumped golf balls in the motor. Soon after the Jeep quit running and wouldn't start back.

Got it towed to a shop. Motor is gone. :gluging: Bearing spun is initial diagnosis.

What's my options? I made a few calls. That shop is willing to do a Jasper motor with all the updates, fluids, tax, tow bill, out the door price at $5200. Dealership said it will be $6500+++ for Mopar motor out the door.

I called ATK and they said they are 5-6 weeks out on Jeep motors. Sorry. Short of doing a Hemi swap, what other options should I be looking at? Other companies???

I don't want a used one because they are notoriously a bad motor and this will happen again.

FML
I know that MoTech (lswrangler.com) has plenty of 3.8 pulls. I don't know how much of a cost difference there would be from having a shop build/install a 3.8L vs calling Robbie at MoTech and buying a used one to put in your rig.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
Yea .. the cheapest option is a takeout from LS/hemi swap.
There's that 4.1 stroker upgrade I've seen discussed too.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
pep boys will sell a 3.8 longblock for around 2300 with a 3 year unlimited mileage warranty, I have one in my jeep been good so far, has about 11k miles on it.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Assuming its a rod or main bearing that spun. Is the crank and rod reuseable or able to be turned down for oversized bearings? Would be alot more cost effective to just roll a new set of bearings in vs a whole engine swap, unless your 3.8 just has a plethora of miles and isnt worth the above mentioned repair

·
Registered
4,146 Posts

FML

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Just curious, what grade oil did you run in your 3.8? At what intervals did you change oil & filter? How many miles were on it when the bearing spun?

We're seeing this reported regularly on forums from folks who ran the spec 5w-20 and changed at the specified 6,000 mile intervals. Interesting to note that Mopars reman long blocks call for 10w-30, which is what the engine was designed for.

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Just curious, what grade oil did you run in your 3.8? At what intervals did you change oil & filter? How many miles were on it when the bearing spun?

We're seeing this reported regularly on forums from folks who ran the spec 5w-20 and changed at the specified 6,000 mile intervals. Interesting to note that Mopars reman long blocks call for 10w-30, which is what the engine was designed for.
Also what year? I thought the overwhelming majority of these cases were with 07s.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

·
Registered
4,146 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
I will be pulling out my 3.8l with a sprintx SC later this month. PM me if you can wait and are interested. Also still have all the stock parts to take the SC off.

Sorry to hear about the motor either way. X2 on what weight oil?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Not sure why you think that's funny, you could be next! :eek:
:flipoff: Gremlin too! production unit 17,128. 2007 X

best bet is a pulled engine. cheaper, already broke in....

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everyone for the responses. The Jeep has 78,000 miles on it.

I ran 10w 30 oil in it. After researching I've found that Jasper has the best bolt in replacement without swapping engines. They said they have changed the oiling issue and there is a handful of upgrades done to the motor that were faulty things before.

I don't want to do a swap for the same used motor. It's just going to happen again. How do I know the used motor I'm buying was taken care of and the oil never got low in it? I'm saving $$$ by using an old friend and his Jasper account. So, is it my cheapest way? No. But, I don't want this to be an issue in the future. If it does happen in the next 3 years, guess what…Jasper pays for it. Part of the warranty. Peace of mind and driving a reliable vehicle means more than buying used. I appreciate the e-mails from people on here steering me the smartest and best decision for me.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Sounds like a good plan. Bummer you are having to deal with this.

Offtopic, has anyone started dropping 3.6s into a 3.8 JK? Or is everyone going straight to hemis/LSs?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts