JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have any luck with a hitch mount bike rack that works with the rear tire and tailgate. I can get deals on yakima but pretty sure non of their styles will work. I had the strong arm yakima rack and the tailgate hit.. Then i got the double down 4 and that worked until i installed my spare tire 35inch tires.

just curious of options some of you have used to haul your bikes, i would like to carry 4. i can get a roof rack but the jeep is lifted and on bigger tires, plus the bikes i ride aren't exactly the lightest so it might be a big pain to put them up on he roof.

what are you running?

· Registered
1,116 Posts
I was trying to find the same thing when I got my yak rack. I ended up going with the spare time which mounts to my spare tire and it works fine if you are only carrying 2 bikes. If you need the 4 bike set up and a hitch mount the only solution I came up with is getting an extension piece to add into your receiver , and mount the rack to that. Otherwise from all the looking I did it seems like we are just SOL. The extension can just be a piece of square tube drilled to accept the pins and somewhere around the 8-12" total length.

· Premium Member
719 Posts
I have a Thule that attaches to the rear hitch. I have the PSC rear bumper with tire carrier and stock spare right now, and I also have to use an extension to make it work. The one thing I don't like about the Thule is it doesn't fold down all the way. Would be much nicer if it it.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks everyone.. I also did a ton of research but wasn't sure if i missed something out there. i might try the swingdaddy that swings off to the side so that might work. I jsut really like the ease of using the racks with the trays because my bike has a thru axle on the front and also a dual crown with a weird shaped frame so i had to fab my own hanger to use it on the rack i currently have. (Specialized Enduro SL)

anymore insight? Keep it coming.

Helojeff: this link was perfect! prettymuch exactly what i was looking for thanks
http://www.jpmagazine.com/techarticl...p/viewall.html

· Registered
108 Posts
The is the best rack made...

http://kuatinnovations.com/products/bike/the-nv/

I doubt it will allow the tail gate to swing open with bikes on it but it might with the tip down feature...

I currently have a Thule T2 because its really the only type of rack that will fit my downhill bike's rear suspension. I'm probably going to get the Kuat NV because it just has a lot of cool features, including a built in repair stand! I only need a two bike rack though...

· Registered
162 Posts
Guess I've been sheltered then. I knew these things were expensive but I had no idea that they were that much. Bought my Thule for $60 off a guy from the Jeep club. It's the one that let's down by pulling a pin. Works for me.

· Registered
430 Posts
We got a Thule T2 with the extra 2 bike extension and have 4 bikes on it most of the times. And with 4 bikes I mean 4 road bikes, or 4 mountain bikes or 4 beach cruisers at a time. The 4 beach cruisers are close to 40 pounds a pop and the rack is as solid as a rock. Just my opinion. :)

· Registered
108 Posts
I've had mine for about 5 years so that might be why it's not as sturdy. That and my bikes way about 40lbs each.

We got a Thule T2 with the extra 2 bike extension and have 4 bikes on it most of the times. And with 4 bikes I mean 4 road bikes, or 4 mountain bikes or 4 beach cruisers at a time. The 4 beach cruisers are close to 40 pounds a pop and the rack is as solid as a rock. Just my opinion. :)

· Registered
2 Posts
Hollywood Racks

I currently own a Hollwwood Racks Road Runner 5 Bike Rack that I use with our Suburban and Class A motorhome. I have read that these will work with a Wrangler and spare tire but i dont have first-hand experience yet.
I should be receiving my Hitch any day and after installing it I will install the bike rack, add bikes and post pictures. Im keeping my fingers crossed as I hope to use it on the JK when towing behind the MH.

· Registered
4 Posts
I can tell you of the best rack I've ever had. It folds down low enough to open the tailgate and fits behind my stock 32 without a problem. I'd bet a 35" tire can be mounted, and still open, but I'd have to measure. The only problem is the price. Some people balk at paying $600 for a bike rack, but in my opinion you get what you pay for. Mine's made in the USA of black anodized aluminum, and I'm VERY happy with it.

Here's the link:

1upUSA 2 bike setup

You can buy add ons that will hold up to four bikes. I did a ton of research and mtbr.com rates it as the best rack out there.

Hope that helps!

· Registered
2 Posts
I currently own a Hollwwood Racks Road Runner 5 Bike Rack that I use with our Suburban and Class A motorhome. I have read that these will work with a Wrangler and spare tire but i dont have first-hand experience yet.
I should be receiving my Hitch any day and after installing it I will install the bike rack, add bikes and post pictures. Im keeping my fingers crossed as I hope to use it on the JK when towing behind the MH.
I can now confirm that the Hollywood Rack works perfectly fine. I got the hitch installed and mounted the rack. Plenty of room for 4. With the stock tire you might be able to mount a 5th bike.

I can load pics if anyone wants to see it.

· Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
thanks for the pictures.. tuns the jeep into like a full size pickup length. ha ha ha. nice to see it works! i will have to look into getting one. I really like that 1upUSA aluminum rack but it is expensive! I have a friend that has one and they are slick, cant test fit it because he lives 3 hours away though.

· Premium Member
1,289 Posts
mounting the bikes back there is easy to get to, unload and reload. but as soon as the ds behind you who is texting on their phone, your two $3K mtn bike are F'd. :mad: I used to mount mine off a Yakima mount with extension, now they are up top.

I like mine up top. pita to load, but safer imo. also if you do offroad to you campsite or some trail heads, some sit too low and will drag.

· Registered
136 Posts
mounting the bikes back there is easy to get to, unload and reload. but as soon as the ds behind you who is texting on their phone, your two $3K mtn bike are F'd. :mad: I used to mount mine off a Yakima mount with extension, now they are up top.

I like mine up top. pita to load, but safer imo. also if you do offroad to you campsite or some trail heads, some sit too low and will drag.
I wish my mountain bikes were $3k... more like $6k-$7k each. :)

Thule T2 4 bike rack and 4" drop/10" extension worked the best for me. Another good rack is the North Shore rack. It sits closer to the Jeep.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.