JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the biggest tires I can fit on my stock steelies without any lift? And will my auto with the 3.73's be able to handle them? On a budget here, so I can't afford to go out and buy a lift and regear the thing right away. I think i would like to eventually wind up with 35's. Would they be to small for a 4door though?

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can fit 32" tires. In my opinion 4.10 with 32" was a little underpowered, but workable. I think you'll make do with 3.73, but you might not be very happy about it.

·
Registered
3,204 Posts
I saw a guy a few weeks ago with 20" wheels running 33" tires with no lift. He got high-centered on pretty much everything.

I have to admit, I have 35" tires with my 4:10 gears and it really isn't that bad. Not like I'm sayin' I won't be upgrading to 5:13s when I get a chance....just that I have no complaints at this point.

My wife, the speed demon, however........

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm sure I could live with 32's or even 33's for a little while with the 3.73's, I'm just worried about the effect it would have on my tranny. From what I've read on this site, the autos aren't the most reliable thing in the world.

How wide are my stock steel wheels? Could I run a 285/75 without fear of rubbing? Are there any sizes out there for a 16" rim that are wider than that?

·
Registered
441 Posts
I really don't think there's anything wrong with the transmission. The cooling system for it on the otherhand...

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
can I run 35's with a budget boost?

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thats kinda what I thought. Does anyone know what the backspacing is of the factory steel wheels?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thats kinda what I thought. Does anyone know what the backspacing is of the factory steel wheels?
I'm pretty sure it's 5 inches BTW I run 285/75/16's which are 33's with no lift but I have aftermarket wheels with 4.5 in of BS and I'm not going wheeling till I get a lift.

·
Registered
3,608 Posts
I run BFG KM2 285x70x17 (just a smidgen shy of 33") on stock 17" wheels with no BS...no problems

1 - 11 of 11 Posts