JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, been away for a while, but now I’m getting ready to go with 32” tires and I was wonder If the spare tire holder will be strong enough for it?
I plan on getting a 2” spacer to clear the tires.
Just not sure if I should go spacers or lift kit.

also looking at new bumpers, front stubby with a stinger and not sure yet on the rear one.
thanks in advance

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm going to go slightly off target here but you mentioned stubby bumpers and I love my XRC stubby with a Smittybuilt 9500 winch mounted.. The rear is a XRC stubby with a swing away tire carrier that had 20 by 12 x 33 in wheels and tires but since my jeep will be used primarily on pavement I removed those and installed 18 in rims. They are Jeep optional polished aluminum with 7 spokes vs 5 with Goodyear Wrangler Workhorse 255/70R18s. A functional offroad tire/bad weather tire with great highway manners. I have used Wrangler radials for years. Great tires, and I would recommend those bumpers, they look great and are highly functional.
Car Vehicle Grille Automotive side marker light Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
So it's hit and miss on this....I have seen a bunch of tail gates buckled when off-roading from weight of heavier tires put on the stock tire carrier.....You can do it, but you run the risk of not "if" it will happen but "when".....goes back to Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry quote "do you feel lucky.....". LOL

I would recommend putting a tire carrier delete on the tail gate and getting a tire carrier like the GenRight tire carrier (where you can use a 5/8" locking hitch pin to secure it protecting your tire investment), or getting a tire carrier bumper versus putting the weight on the door.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
So it's hit and miss on this....I have seen a bunch of tail gates buckled when off-roading from weight of heavier tires put on the stock tire carrier.....You can do it, but you run the risk of not "if" it will happen but "when".....goes back to Clint Eastwood's Dirty Harry quote "do you feel lucky.....". LOL

I would recommend putting a tire carrier delete on the tail gate and getting a tire carrier like the GenRight tire carrier (where you can use a 5/8" locking hitch pin to secure it protecting your tire investment, or getting a tire carrier bumper versus putting the weight on the door.

Just my .02.
Just pull the driver side passenger seat and strap it there with a bracket and 3" ratchet straps. Fits great with 37". Possibly up to 40"

Reactions: TXROCK

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Just pull the driver side passenger seat and strap it there with a bracket and 3" ratchet straps. Fits great with 37". Possibly up to 40"
That works too! I knew a couple guys who made their own angled tire carriers in the back of the Jeep that angles with the roll bar but kept the tailgate clean looking.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts