JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone tried BG44K?

I just threw some in the tank, as quite a few people told me it works really well, smoother idle, improved performance, better mpg, etc. The last two claims I'm skeptical of and I've never been a big fan of this kind of thing, but figured I'd give it a go.

Many service departments sell it, and you can get it on-line. It does require a funnel to pour into the tank.

I'll report back if I can see any noticeable improvements.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Anyone tried BG44K?

I just threw some in the tank, as quite a few people told me it works really well, smoother idle, improved performance, better mpg, etc. The last two claims I'm skeptical of and I've never been a big fan of this kind of thing, but figured I'd give it a go.

Many service departments sell it, and you can get it on-line. It does require a funnel to pour into the tank.

I'll report back if I can see any noticeable improvements.

All of that sort of stuff is snake oil, imo...my thought is if it was really necessary or would help anything without hurting other things in the long run then it would be in there from the factory or at least recommended in the service manual.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Question... I purchased some Gummout fuel injector cleaner last week...just cause the (dying next door to Walmart) Auto Zone had it on sale...(ironic that at Walmart it was actually $1 cheaper...). But now I am hesitant to use it until I hear some feedback. I dont mind dumping it in the tank even if it doesnt really do anything positive...but I'm concerned that some harm will be done. Says...use at 3000 miles/ wont harm catalytec converters or O2 sensors/ restore horsepower...etc, but who knows? Anyone have a clue if this stuff is bad/ good? Last time I used somethin like this was in high school to simply keep a 75' Cutlass running for a date or a beer run...

·
Registered
783 Posts
I wouldn't be afraid to use it as long as it doesn't contain lead, which I don't think anything these days does, unless you by a "leaded" additive for older vehicles. I use LubeControl FP-60 in my jeep. I havn't been able to tell if it made a difference in mileage or not cause ever since the gas stations in my area started adding ethanol to their gas, my mileage varies depending on where I fill up. I don't think they all have the same amount in their gas. Anyways, I know their stuff is pretty good. I used to run their diesel fuel additive in my cummins I had, and picked up about .5mpg with it. There was another guy with a truck just like mine that picked up1-1.5 with his. Not saying you can gain that much in a gas application using their stuff, but their stuff isn't exactly snake oil either.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Fitch? whats that? Stupid question, I'm sure...

·
Registered
774 Posts
smoother idle, improved performance, better mpg, etc
I'll through the BS flag on this. Another pitch for someone to make money when gas is tight. There are enough detergents in regular gas to clean almost anything. If yo don't let your vehicle sit for months then you shouldn't have a problem or need additives.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After several tankfuls of gas I have seen a 0.3 mpg increase, which is so small that it could be just coincidental, a slight change in driving style, or the wind changing direction. Certainly not decisive enough to say it improved fuel efficiency at all.

I can't notice any changes in performance, but I didn't really expect to.

The one thing I can say it did do was smooth out the idle. Before the BG44K my idle was a little rough, 100-140 rpm variances, which was one of the reasons I wanted to try it. It now idles smoother, with 20-40 rpm variances.

There are plenty of these snake oils out there, but BG44K had a really good reputation so I wanted to try it. I'll likely throw in the other cans I have every 10k or so, but I won't be rushing out to buy some more.

·
Registered
93 Posts
After several tankfuls of gas I have seen a 0.3 mpg increase, which is so small that it could be just coincidental, a slight change in driving style, or the wind changing direction. Certainly not decisive enough to say it improved fuel efficiency at all.

I can't notice any changes in performance, but I didn't really expect to.

The one thing I can say it did do was smooth out the idle. Before the BG44K my idle was a little rough, 100-140 rpm variances, which was one of the reasons I wanted to try it. It now idles smoother, with 20-40 rpm variances.

There are plenty of these snake oils out there, but BG44K had a really good reputation so I wanted to try it. I'll likely throw in the other cans I have every 10k or so, but I won't be rushing out to buy some more.
I'd also think you'd be purposely looking to get better gas mileage and so you'd be inherently driving more conservatively...who knows, that stuff may have actually hurt your mpg?!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts