JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get some new tires soon and I've narrowed it down to these two. Having a tough time deciding though. I've been running KO2s on multiple vehicles for a long time now with no issues, I just kinda want something a little more aggressive without sacrificing ride quality and snow traction. I live in an area that gets snow and ice 7 months out of the year, lots of mud, and wet loose rock. I also drive 30-50 highway miles daily at 70 mph and above. Right now I can get either one for the same price, $370 a tire so price isn't a factor. The 37x12.50R17 KO2s listed specs are 36.5x12.5 with a weight of 69 lbs and a tread depth of 15/32, while the 37x12.50R17 Cooper STT PRO listed specs are 36.77x13 a weight of 77 lbs and a tread depth of 22/32. Both are D load range with a max PSI of 50 and 3,525 load carrying capacity. I know some people will say that one is an AT and one is a MT and they're not comparable, but Cooper does actually make an MT and the STT PROs aren't it. According to the Cooper website they're basically more of an Extreme AT than a dedicated MT. The Coopers are significantly deeper than the KO2s, and about a half inch wider. I don't give a shit about noise, my exhaust drowns out any tire noise. And I honestly like the sound of aggressive tires on pavement. What I do care about is not losing the nice soft ride and snow traction I have from my Metalcloak lift and 35 inch KO2S. Everything is telling me to stick with the KO2's since they've never let me down, but I realllllly like those Coopers. Hoping someone here has maybe switched from the KO2s to the STT PROs or vice versa and has first hand experience comparing one to the other.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've run the STT Pros and while snow traction is great, that in-between icy/slippery stuff is where they fall off.

I'd have to imagine any tire that's more AT-ish would be better here. The STT Pros were more similar to my KM3s (MT) than they would be to any AT.

As far as comfort - I didn't have any complaints, even compared to stock tires. Just inflate to the proper PSI, do a chalk test. I'm guessing you'll be around 30 psi.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've run the STT Pros and while snow traction is great, that in-between icy/slippery stuff is where they fall off.

I'd have to imagine any tire that's more AT-ish would be better here. The STT Pros were more similar to my KM3s (MT) than they would be to any AT.

As far as comfort - I didn't have any complaints, even compared to stock tires. Just inflate to the proper PSI, do a chalk test. I'm guessing you'll be around 30 psi.
Hell even the KO2S aren’t that great on ice. Anything short of a dedicated snow tire is going to suck on ice. At one point I had Hankook Dynapro AT-Ms which are modeled after their dedicated snow tire. If you look at the two side by side they’re nearly identical. And even they weren’t that great on ice. My main issue is getting stuck in thigh deep hard packed snow piles left by the snow plows. I should be able to just crawl right over them, but there’s just not enough tread depth to dig into it and my tires just spin. Going off the math I came up with 25.32 psi. The stock tires were capable of 1,984 lbs at 35 psi, they were P metric so you can remove 10% for load shifting purposes when going to an LT, which comes out to 1,785.6, and the Coopers are capable of 3,525 at 50 psi, which comes to 70.5 lbs per psi. 70.5x25.32=1,785.06 now obviously I’m not gonna put .32 pounds in so I just round down to 25. Inflation tables come in handy when figuring out the new psi, chalk tests are only a reference really, you can get what looks like full contact being both over inflated or under inflated. The math never lies lol. I think I’m gonna go ahead and give the Coopers a shot. Maybe hang on to my KO2s so if I really don’t like the Coops I can just switch back and sell them.

·
Administrator
973 Posts
I run the STT pro in 37x12.5x17 on our '18 two door. No ice/snow experience to speak of, but they've done well on the trails and under daily driving duty for 60k miles. Still have at least 15k in them (5 tire rotation). They measure fairly small, IIRC about 35 3/4" at 28 PSI.

We also run a STT Pro on our '14 but in the C rated 40x13.5x17, even better off road grip with the C rated version.

We've run KM2, Toyo OC MT & Duratrac in the past and prefer the STT over any of those

·
Super Moderator
6,284 Posts
I watched this thread because I have tons of data on running exactly both of these tires over 5 years ago . I run my mouth off about them ,countless times .
I had no need to offer anything to this conversation because it was being discussed aptly.

you got answers ,not bashed @donjuan79

im seeing a trend here

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I watched this thread because I have tons of data on running exactly both of these tires over 5 years ago . I run my mouth off about them ,countless times .
I had no need to offer anything to this conversation because it was being discussed aptly.

you got answers ,not bashed @donjuan79

im seeing a trend here
this is the first post I’ve made here in months. Tried to get a discussion going in this dead ass forum. But this isn’t the post I referenced when I talked about getting bashed. Those were my first couple posts, 10 months ago, and those posts were deleted. I’m seeing a trend as well, more douchebaggery. From a super duper mod sticking up for a jackass paying member and letting them run off anyone new who joins so it can remain just the core circle jerk members.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Personally, I like a big meaty tire for snow. I run both Duratracs and Pitbull Rockers, I run with guys that have Cooper’s, Pats and a couple others. When there is snow on the road and trails the Pitbulls are king and by far the best. (Pitbulls are noisy on road and not for everyone )
Ice and smooth hard pack Duratracs are a bit more predictable. Cooper’s and Pats are better in deeper snow then Duratracs due to bigger sidebiters. K0s fall into the same category as Duratracs on slippery roads but Duratracs are better when you start getting into the snow.
If you want a good tire for deeper, dense snow you need something with big sidebiters.
Up north here snow is a big deal over 1/2 the year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
23 Posts
Both tires have decent reviews online, but if I were to choose I will have to go with BFG KO2. The majority of my friends and even my brother run a set. They always brag about the low noise that the tire creates and its traction on and off-road.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Looking to get some new tires soon and I've narrowed it down to these two. Having a tough time deciding though. I've been running KO2s on multiple vehicles for a long time now with no issues, I just kinda want something a little more aggressive without sacrificing ride quality and snow traction. I live in an area that gets snow and ice 7 months out of the year, lots of mud, and wet loose rock. I also drive 30-50 highway miles daily at 70 mph and above. Right now I can get either one for the same price, $370 a tire so price isn't a factor. The 37x12.50R17 KO2s listed specs are 36.5x12.5 with a weight of 69 lbs and a tread depth of 15/32, while the 37x12.50R17 Cooper STT PRO listed specs are 36.77x13 a weight of 77 lbs and a tread depth of 22/32. Both are D load range with a max PSI of 50 and 3,525 load carrying capacity. I know some people will say that one is an AT and one is a MT and they're not comparable, but Cooper does actually make an MT and the STT PROs aren't it. According to the Cooper website they're basically more of an Extreme AT than a dedicated MT. The Coopers are significantly deeper than the KO2s, and about a half inch wider. I don't give a shit about noise, my exhaust drowns out any tire noise. And I honestly like the sound of aggressive tires on pavement. What I do care about is not losing the nice soft ride and snow traction I have from my Metalcloak lift and 35 inch KO2S. Everything is telling me to stick with the KO2's since they've never let me down, but I realllllly like those Coopers. Hoping someone here has maybe switched from the KO2s to the STT PROs or vice versa and has first hand experience comparing one to the other.
Take a look at the 37" KM3's.....I'm on my second set and they are one tough tire that I can attest to.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.