JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a set of LT285/70R17 BFG K02s for my 4 door JKU

These tires are E rated and recommended factory PSI is 80. The installer inflated them to 70PSI when installed and now I'm getting tossed around in the drivers seat rolling down the road. I understand that the tires will produce a less comfortable ride than the stock Goodyear Wranglers, but the current ride is pretty rough for a daily driver.

Is anyone running these tires? If so, what PSI is recommended that is both safe and practical for daily driver use? No added weight on the wrangler yet - the rest of the body and suspension are stock the exception of 17 x 8.5 Mamba wheels with 4.75 inch backspacing.

Any and all help is appreciated!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Just picked up a set of LT285/70R17 BFG K02s for my 4 door JKU

These tires are E rated and recommended factory PSI is 80. The installer inflated them to 70PSI when installed and now I'm getting tossed around in the drivers seat rolling down the road. I understand that the tires will produce a less comfortable ride than the stock Goodyear Wranglers, but the current ride is pretty rough for a daily driver.

Is anyone running these tires? If so, what PSI is recommended that is both safe and practical for daily driver use? No added weight on the wrangler yet - the rest of the body and suspension are stock the exception of 17 x 8.5 Mamba wheels with 4.75 inch backspacing.

Any and all help is appreciated!
80psi is max for an erated tire when hauling max load. put them down to 30-32psi. I run my ko2's at about 30psi and nice and smooth and wear is even.

·
Registered
645 Posts
While every Jeep is different when loaded or unloaded. 30-32 psi is a great reference, especially if you have the 10 ply tires. Google chalk test. The best way to determine ideal tire pressure.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would rather have genital herpes than E rated tires on a Jeep.
Why do folks do these things?

·
Registered
645 Posts
Chalk test is good method but remember that it will just measure footprint and does not take into account load capacity.
Freddie asked for pressure while daily driving...not while he has 2k pounds in the back and towing a 10k lb trailer. Are we talking about an F-250 or a JK?

Damn Larry. Tell us how you really feel :wink2: On the bright side, if this is a high milage DD, they won't wear out anytime soon.

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
no,no,please!
I have not even read any of the other replies yet & I had to answer . I may read-on to discover the very same info is posted by someone else but it should help to confirm , if not inform, the OP that the recommended is never what ya wanna follow. Every vehicle weighs different and that is just a spec for the maximum PSI you'd be able to go to if the weight of the truck merits or calls-for that.
I have a relatively light 4door that I ran 35x12.50x6 e-rated and those are a overbulk tire for a Jeep; more for a heavy truck but the were bombproof ( Cooper STT Discoverer MTs in e rated) and with a 4700 +/- pound Jeep I got street tire like wear at 23psi - 25psi depending on the barometric pressure and temp outside. I would wheel them at 7psi to 11 psi. At 70psi I would imagine driving on the 35" KO2 was like riding around on huge, solid hoops of solid plastic ( imagine the stock JK sport bumper but solid, that is what i imagine) ! Yikes. Darn dangerous to others, as well.

try a baseline at 25psi for the KO2s ( I run them in a D-rated 37")in that size and try adding/subtracting 2psi , test drive, take 2psi out...take two more out...drive. It will help you to get a good tire gauge :jeep2:

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
JeepMomma said you did on her blog and that you have the rare and dreaded Purple Herpes. You poor bastard.:x:x:grin2:

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
JeepMomma said you did on her blog and that you have the rare and dreaded Purple Herpes. You poor bastard.:x:x:grin2:
didn't she also blame Larry for breaking in and pillaging a drunk dudes JK that's stuck-out on some dilapidated bridge so he could buy medicine for the purpleherps?

·
Random Dude
3,039 Posts
I bought load range E tires because 35x12.50-17 NItto Trail Grapplers only come in "E".
They're heavy as fawk, but they're indestructible so far. Had they been available in "C" or "D", I would have bought "C" or "D".
That being said, at 26-28 psi they ride fine on-road, and at 6-8 psi they ride like a fookin' dream off-road.

Not at all trying to convince you to get "E" tires, but there's my "why" I did: because that's all that was available in the tires I wanted.

So far,

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am looking at the same tires. Let me know how they end up riding. I am very concerned about the E range rating. Any 285 70 17 tires out there with a c or D rating?

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
that's not an uncommon size+rating ; I think there are BFG KM2s, Cooper discoverer S/T and Falken Wildpeak A/T3W ( new one) as well as good ol' Toyo Open COuntry's that are DRated in that size.

I's still go with the KO2s but I am biased....get it, biased?

ba dum DUM,Crash!

:jeep2:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts