• ORH Whisper Top

Votes: 13 54.2%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be buying either one and want input.... dont know if there is a thread here about this because i searched and didnt find one... Pros and Cons please and also put an answer into the poll! Thank you!:bounce:

This will be installed on a 2010 JKU Sport!

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah but is it worth waiting for it or should ORH just get my business??? I know that ORH just updated their design to not have the straps any more? Also i saw that you need to put a strip of velcro on the top of the rear hatch... Is this efficient?

·
Premium Member
2,805 Posts
Between the 2 tops, both are great. The difference maker is the customer service which has clearly been gone over on this forum. Pick Bestop if you want the piece of mind of knowing that its a huge company with a history of quality products and you can reach someone by phone. Pick ORH if you don't mind spending more money on a similar top and support a "company" run by one man who is erratic and crazy and has horrible customer service. Good luck getting a hold of anyone at ORH/California Tops if you have an issue.

I own a first gen Trektop. And I love it.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Between the 2 tops, both are great. The difference maker is the customer service which has clearly been gone over on this forum. Pick Bestop if you want the piece of mind of knowing that its a huge company with a history of quality products and you can reach someone by phone. Pick ORH if you don't mind spending more money on a similar top and support a "company" run by one man who is erratic and crazy and has horrible customer service. Good luck getting a hold of anyone at ORH/California Tops if you have an issue.

I own a first gen Trektop. And I love it.
X2
I will even pay more for the same product if I know the company I get it from will have my back when things go wrong.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
Yeah but is it worth waiting for it or should ORH just get my business??? I know that ORH just updated their design to not have the straps any more? Also i saw that you need to put a strip of velcro on the top of the rear hatch... Is this efficient?
I understand what you saying , I preorder the bestop nx , if you can wait a little there will be a lot of reviews once it comes out , that might make a difference in your decision

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
I had one of the longest waits with ORH ...and I'd do it again. Haven't seen/experienced the new Bestop, but ORH tops IMHO are hands down better made products.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
can i please see some pics of the new orh whisper top? the one without the straps? thank you!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Trektop

Where can I preorder the trektop and how long is it before they come out.
had just talked to ORH and he said that he was out of material but just got some in and would call me when the tops were ready and being shipped.
I would rather go with a company that I know would take care of me if things go wrong.:devil:

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
im thinking i am going to go with best top! when are we looking as far as an eta for these nx's to come out?

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Where can I preorder the trektop and how long is it before they come out.
had just talked to ORH and he said that he was out of material but just got some in and would call me when the tops were ready and being shipped.
I would rather go with a company that I know would take care of me if things go wrong.:devil:
I ordered on of the previous generation ORH tops great top but when it showed up ripped in the corner tim said he would send in new bikini portion. Its been a year a couple dozen phone calls and no joy. I took it to a canvas shop and had it repaired. I would rather deal with bestop an actual company than to hear tims manifesto again.

Read the ORH top thread and make your decision then.

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
No. Tim does listen to his clientele. He's a one man shop and he really does little else but engineer and reengineer his tops. FWIW, I don't believe the velcro has a long shelf life. If he does bring a tailgate solution to market, it will be kickass - just like everything else the guy makes.

Running his old school roll up combo top (combo = cargo + fastback) & loving it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fresh Intall ORH Softtop

I just installed my new ORH soft top on my Rubicon, and I have to say I'm impressed. This is the top that should have come from Mopar stock. It fits super tight, and wind noise is low.

The customer service was near instant and flawless with responses to my questions. I highly recommend buying this top from Tim. He has a great product.

If anyone has questions or wants pictures feel free to message me.

-kieran

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Fresh Install Bestop Trektop NX soft top

Fresh Install Bestop Trektop NX soft top.
I just installed my new Bestop Trektop soft top on my 2 door JK.

I haven't had a soft top in several years and I have enjoyed the open feel of the "no side windows" and rear window.

No useful comment I can really make on noise..... I expected it to be way louder than my hard top and it is.....

My purchase from RCO was the best buying experience on the Web to date. Marcus took care of a minor issue fast...... Actually sent me a second top !!
Marcus you have earned my business.......:beer:

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
i ended up getting the trektop (first gen)..... it leaked, was noisy, held water.... was bad.... bestop replace it for the NX and i love it!!!!!!!

·
Banned
16,618 Posts
Ok, since I now have experience with the whisper, two panel strapless top, I can say this:

WTF are you thinking, Tim??

The good:
New tailgate bar is awesome. It works well and makes the top look better. Total win there.
The new door surrounds make the top drum tight. Literally. You could sit in and play timpani with this thing.
The flatter look at the header bar was pretty cool too.

The Bad:
Two panel, FTL. This was a major factor in my decision to go another direction. I absolutely LOVE the fact that when my single panel is rolled forward, I can hop out, pull the straps off the footman loops and be under cover in less than a minute. With the multi panel construction, you need to roll it back, slide it onto a center rail, get the other panel and velcro that in place and then seat it in the center rail as well. By that point, you're soaked.
The new surrounds, though WAY more functional when installed and closed up, look like total shit when rolled up. Hated, and I do mean HATED the look whe it was rolled forward. It was lumpy and not anywhere near as elegant as the previous version.

Bottom line, although I really loved my old school ORH roller top, the newer two panel version for the 4door has some style & function issues that I just couldnt get past

1 - 20 of 20 Posts