JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New Jeep owner, first forum post.

I've found lots about leaking tops and such, can't find anything like what I have. I just installed my soft top a couple days ago, and I can't get the side panels to seal properly with my doors. The 90 degree part that should sit between the door and the frame won't sit properly near the top and sticks out. At highway speeds it flaps around and pulls more of the side panel out creating lots of noise. Vehicle door Vehicle Automotive exterior Car Technology

Vehicle door Automotive exterior Vehicle Car Technology

(I'm not sure if these images will work, I'm not sure how to go about resizing them for a forum post. I've also posted them in my garage so they may work better there.)

I'm not sure if this is a common problem that will go away as things stretch, or if I should be worried about it.

Any feedback would be great. Thanks!

·
Registered
67 Posts
I know w/ my Trektop I have to start the door edge then use the pull tab at the bottom to move the edge down to tighten the top seal (the part bulging on yours).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's worse than I thought, I was on the highway today and the panel actually came undone, the zipper part was fine but the wind pulled out the door part and away from the jeep on the bottom, ended up flapping until I could pull over and put it back in again.

Any suggestions, should I call bestop or just wait and see if it stretches out and fits better?

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's worse than I thought, I was on the highway today and the panel actually came undone, the zipper part was fine but the wind pulled out the door part and away from the jeep on the bottom, ended up flapping until I could pull over and put it back in again.

Any suggestions, should I call bestop or just wait and see if it stretches out and fits better?
Have you "wrapped" that "L" shaped edge around and tucked it into the channel in the door surround? If you have I don't see it coming loose. Seems you might not have it fully tucked in.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have you "wrapped" that "L" shaped edge around and tucked it into the channel in the door surround? If you have I don't see it coming loose. Seems you might not have it fully tucked in.
I've tugged the panel as much as I can and seated it fully in the door jam, and closed the door on it. But as soon as I let go it just pops out.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've tugged the panel as much as I can and seated it fully in the door jam, and closed the door on it. But as soon as I let go it just pops out.
Any chamce you can post a pic of it fully seated?

787 Posts
I don't think you are getting it fully installed in the channel. When they are new they are very tight.

It should tuck in completely and the door should never be "holding" it.

Its hard to explain. maybe take a pic of it installed with your door open so we can see how far its installed.

·
Registered
492 Posts
From your picture, it looks like you installed the top wrong. Have you watched the bestop install videos on YouTube?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Let it sit in the sun and try to install the panels again. First, start the zipper, just barely, then wrap the whole channel into place, starting at the top. Hold the back of the panel, pulling backwards, as tight as you can and zip the whole side on. Then tuck in the bottom flap, starting at the rear working forward, then do your velcro. When you done, that channel should stay wrapped around from top to bottom. If not, start over until it does.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Start at the very top corner and only zip it enough to hold. Then wrap it around the door Chanel then tuck it under the tub. Then zip and Velcro the rest of the window in place.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't think you are getting it fully installed in the channel. When they are new they are very tight.

It should tuck in completely and the door should never be "holding" it.

Its hard to explain. maybe take a pic of it installed with your door open so we can see how far its installed.
Let it sit in the sun and try to install the panels again. First, start the zipper, just barely, then wrap the whole channel into place, starting at the top. Hold the back of the panel, pulling backwards, as tight as you can and zip the whole side on. Then tuck in the bottom flap, starting at the rear working forward, then do your velcro. When you done, that channel should stay wrapped around from top to bottom. If not, start over until it does.
Start at the very top corner and only zip it enough to hold. Then wrap it around the door Chanel then tuck it under the tub. Then zip and Velcro the rest of the window in place.
Thank you all for the help. Ends up I'm an idiot. I swore I watched the videos fully but I didn't catch the part about how to seat the channel in the door, I was just tucking the panel in between the door and the frame, not fully seating it into the channel. I wouldn't have thought it even possible it's so tight.

Thanks again for helping a newbie out!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old post, but we just installed the Bestop Supertop and I had the same problem this morning driving for the first at high speeds on the internet. What video shows how this is done?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts