• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone,

I recently installed the Poison Spyder Brawler Lite bumper on my JKUR and I am looking for a winch now. It seams to be the opinion of almost everyone here locally that if I don't get a Warn then I am stupid... I refuse to believe that they are the only people on the planet that know how to make a winch. That said, I have not ruled out a used Warn that would be within my current budget. I have narrowed my search down to the following (Yes I know I am all over the board) :
1) Smittybilt X20 12k Synthetic Line - $600 (New - Amazon)
2) Warn Zeon 10-S - $800 (Used - local)
3) Desert Rattler 12K Synthetic Line - $499 (New - Local)
4) Superwinch TS11500SR - $600 (New - Amazon)

What do you all think?

·
Vendor
2,961 Posts
Hey there Sick13JKUR,

We've been having great luck with the Warn Zeon10-S units - props to you if you have access to a used one. Aesthetics and use wise that unit seems to be the most popular.

I've had a few builds roll through with the X20 - seems decent for the price but I haven't used one out on the trails.

I don't have any experience with DesertRattler or Superwinch, hopefully someone else could chime in on these two units...

Cheers,
Ryan

·
Registered
378 Posts
I chose the superwinch. The clincher was the solenoids. Instead of those little individual solenoids for every little movement, they have a module that has been heavily weatherized and is cheap to replace. No guesswork, no fuss.
Competitors, they have individual ones and depending on the brand, can get expensive and the guesswork is simply unnecessary in this day and age. The insulation on the "brain" of these winches is paramount. I don't care about Bluetooth and other gizmos. Reliability is foremost.

I chose steel cable. I'm in the sun a lot and don't want a bag in front. I also like the abrasion and dirt resistance of steel.

If it snaps, it snaps..Cable is cheap

Price point. Are you freaking kidding me? Why?

I have the tiger shark 11.5. I've had mile marker hydraulic, and a warn.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
I use a Warn 10S with mine

·
Registered
407 Posts
The problem with the module is if it breaks , nothing works. With 4 individual solenoids you have a much better chance of survival. That being said, Warn on both my Jeeps. One I got free/used and restored it and the other I bought new.

·
The Wheelin Man's Friend
8,651 Posts
I'd do the Zeon 10-S for $800. Mine hasn't ever let me down and as Ryan up there mentioned, they are sure sexy looking on top of everything else. Don't forget to pick up the winch spacers for the Brawler Lite. The Zeon is a big bodied winch and needs a little boost to clear. I added a link to show you what they look like, but they aren't hard to make if you're handy. :)

Zeon Winch Spacer Plates Poison Spyder

·
Registered
378 Posts
The problem with the module is if it breaks , nothing works. With 4 individual solenoids you have a much better chance of survival. That being said, Warn on both my Jeeps. One I got free/used and restored it and the other I bought new.
Or four times the probability of a failure or partial failure. Lol
It's kind of a moot point as warn finally modernized it's lineup.
I would venture if he stayed with the reliable brands he'll be fine. Everyone assumes he'll be submarining and being dropped out of ass of a C-130 and 99% never see such extremes
I killed a warn in the water once. A buddy killed a electric MM. I had a hydraulic MM. Couldn't kill it. Have had to Superwinch too. So far so good, but who knows. Maybe some of our Texas buddies can vouch. Lord knows they are likely putting some abuse in with their winches and the weather.

Sent from my SM-T900 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Got a smoking deal on a Superwinch Talon 12.5i... Incredibly FAST line speed. $665 from Superwinch right now if anyone needs one.

Reactions: Tierhog

·
Registered
1 Posts
Don't know if your looking still but I found my Warn zeon 10 with steel cable on Craigslist brand new for $300

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run a Warn VR10-s on mine and love it. However, if I could've found a Zeon 10-s for $800 I wouldn't have hesitated on that.

·
Comfortably Numb
12,289 Posts
I thought Warren Zevon was dead. :surprise:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts