JKOwners Forum banner

41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
I run the Bully Dog Tuner. There have been a few small annoying things through the time I have owned it but, overall I'm pretty happy.

2012 JKU Rubicon

Pros:
Engage lockers when I want
Monitor gauges (including trans temp)
Change Vehicle settings, TPMS, Gear Ratio, Tire Size ....etc

Cons:
I have had an issue where you turn the traction control off in the tuner and the jeep will go into 2nd and stay there, almost like a limp in mode but no CEL
They got rid of the sway bar disconnect function in the tuner
The OS is a little cumbersome to use on the trail, I wish they would come up with a "favorites" page or something like that where I could hit a couple buttons and get to what I am trying to do.

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
re:Best Tuner?

it is subjective and important to assess the reason you want /need whichever tuner programmer you buy . The AEV is most economical & seems suited for the Jeeper which only wants a few features like tpms calibration of size of tires and a bakers dozen others : I've seen it as cheap as a hundred bucks used .The Superchips FlashCal is another basic tuner within this cost range w/ caveat that you can later pay to have its capability upgraded over the in app purchase to have features that the higher level tuners ( flashpaq and traildash) .... The Diablosport Intune ( & soon to be "i2") as well as the Trinity are same way but I read many stories about their lack of consistent support or firmware flashes to correct bugs or model exclusion. Likewise , many folks use with no issues .

it is basically about what you do with it ; tiresize adjust or turn off DRL? pro cal or FlashCal will suffice ; want more advanced tuning capability ? read up on features of the mid-level offerings from Diablosport or Superchips .... wanna report data on the cumulative TET of your JK's three best 1/4 mile runs down the drag strip (lmfao) or monitor the PEDs and have advanced display ability on a nice display , then the Trinity/traildash higher end may be your ideal .
personally , I wish I'd bought the FlashPaq as first upgrade because it made such a difference in my '11 JKUr and its auto trans shift firmness and petrol octane specifics make it more tolerable to run overkill "E" rated STTs in 35 inch size and soon to be 37" tires while still having 4.10 gearing ...I still manually select the "1,2,D" with Overdrive always disabled but it was a great purvhase until I get the 5.38s this fall .....
hope this helps .... I know squat about running these on pentastar btw..

<edit : ^X2^ I forgot the BullyDog :,many report same with it but my brain still references it as a diesel truck tuner ... it , too , may be useful for your scenario but I only know it is also is an optional tuner for the JK from their JP magazine ads >

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Thread revival.... Hallelujah

Looking for a tuner that will:
Adjust for tire size
Adjust TPMS parameters
Allow me to control when I use factory lockers and sway bar disconnect

It would be nice to be able to:
Adjust idle (when needed)
Mild performance tunes
Read and clear codes

Is there an option that allows you to make the necessary adjustments and turn off the locker and swaybar nannies?

If I decide to take up some dash realestate what are the most reliable touch screen options? I did some searching and don't see many recent posts for the traildash or traildash 2? Used a Quadzilla iQuad (Bluetooth module that used an iOS app) on my 99 cummins with mixed results.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Looking for a tuner that will:
Adjust for tire size
Adjust TPMS parameters
Allow me to control when I use factory lockers and sway bar disconnect

It would be nice to be able to:
Adjust idle (when needed)
Mild performance tunes
Read and clear codes

Is there an option that allows you to make the necessary adjustments and turn off the locker and swaybar nannies?

If I decide to take up some dash realestate what are the most reliable touch screen options? I did some searching and don't see many recent posts for the traildash or traildash 2? Used a Quadzilla iQuad (Bluetooth module that used an iOS app) on my 99 cummins with mixed results.
I think all the tuners have done away with the TPMS adjustability. I bought a flash paq just to set my TPMS lower after a local dealer did not want to set it in the computer for me. Told me my air pressure was to low and they could not set the vehicle any lower. I bought the flash paq thinking it would allow adjustment of the thresh holds but all it allows you to do is turn the dash light for tpms on or off. I say this because My kenwood head unit would still read the tire pressures and display them even thou I had it shut off with the flash paq.

Flash Paq gets my vote it is simple to use and seems to do well. You can feel the difference between the different tunes. I am not just saying it my wife who had no clue I flashed it with the 91 Octane performance tune came home and asked me what I did with the jeep because every time she took off it wanted to go, quicker out of the hole. I am in a 14 rubi with 4:10 gears may be different with other set ups.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi guys

I took part in research about best tuner for Jeep JK together with Liam Brooks and here is a results

I recommend Superchips Flashpaq F5
it has a long installation time, but pretty functional peace of geat

If you have any questions, appreciations, critics — you are welcome in comments or private messages

41 - 45 of 45 Posts