JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had the wonderful experience this weekend of water going into the air intake and the joy of taking out sparkplug and etc in the middle of nowhere so I guess it's time for a snorkel I just need to know or any opinions or whatever of what's the best snorkel out there without changing my hood? Thank you all opinions would be greatly appreciated!

· Registered
3,225 Posts
....AEV snorkel doesn't require changing the hood, you can cut the stock one...
River Raider, Safari Snorkel and Rugged Ridge units don't require hood cutting, but need other holes drilled

· Registered
1,272 Posts
There are some things to consider on the Rugged Ridge snorkel that have not been mentioned here. The biggest plus to me is the fact that it has a natural catch and drain. If your snorkel has a straight tube to the air box then anything in the snorkel ends up in the air box (mud and water). With the RR snorkel you can actually see how much it is catching and even clean it by pouring water into it if you so desire. I have the RR on my 12 and am very happy with it. Clearance is close but it clears my PSC light bar mounts. Take your time installing it. There were 2 things lacking in the directions. First off, the template did not work for me. That was ok because I was able to figure the cut out pretty easily. Second, you may very well have to remove some plastic from your air box base to fit their clamps on. I had to make a few extra holes in my airbox base to use the provided clamps. Fitment was tight and some massaging is required on the aluminum air tube. As stated earlier, I am very happy with it. I would NOT use the low intake though. My tires would just chuck water right into it.

In a perfect world there would be a snorkel like the River Raider expedition with a tubing and low spot system like the Rugged Ridge and replacing the side cowling rather than cutting the center cowling. If I had the time I would probably do a home made one setup like that.

· Registered
133 Posts
i just ordered the river raider for mine the reason i went with river raider is i have mirrors mounted on the a post for my soft doors. some of the snorks ya have to mount right there.. you have to drill 2- 3.25" holes in your cowl... you can also make a prefilter fit on the river raider...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.