JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is a really high quality Cold air intake system, throttle body spacer and performance chip that also fixes the tire size and speedometer? Do you need to install an entirely new throttle body in order to put a spacer in or can i just throw a spacer in??? Im gonna be runnin 37'''s so i need to make up HP and this is a start, including the re-gearing. I dont mind spending the money just as long as it the good stuff. Give me your opinions!!! Also how much for a high quality rear locker? Preferably electric...thanks everyone!

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
CAI + TB spacer will net little to no gains. Wasted money imo. I would re-gear, add some RIPP long tube headers and tune it with a Flashpaq. JMO

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
you will find many here believe that CAIs and TB spacers do no good on the 3.8

like stub said, regearing and a flashpaq will do you better.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which one would be ideal for a DD? I would like the Speedometer and tire size fixer with it...any suggestions?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it! How much extra horse power will this give me? i cant find the specs.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Ah. Claimed = up to 24 hp/ 28 ft lbs of torque. No idea what the true #'s are.

·
Registered
255 Posts
From what I've read, the main advatages of a flashpaq are improved shifting with the auto, and more agressive throttle opening, both of which improve driveability but really only make it feel like it has more power. Actual power gains are modest. Anyone feel free to correct me if I have it wrong. Anyway, I have a manual so I went with the less expesive ProCal to correct for bigger tires and gearing. Have a CAI also, and for all I know it only added noise, but I'm cool with that. TB spacer is a waste IMO.

·
Registered
783 Posts
From what I've read, the main advatages of a flashpaq are improved shifting with the auto, and more agressive throttle opening, both of which improve driveability but really only make it feel like it has more power. Actual power gains are modest. Anyone feel free to correct me if I have it wrong. Anyway, I have a manual so I went with the less expesive ProCal to correct for bigger tires and gearing. Have a CAI also, and for all I know it only added noise, but I'm cool with that. TB spacer is a waste IMO.
Hes pretty much right. I have a flashpaq, and I can feel a little bit more power, but not much. The throttle response is awesome now, and the tranny shifts way better than it did stock. But this is gonna be the case with most any programmer. Theres not much extra power to be had by these engines because they use a speed density system which uses a MAP sensor instead of a Mass Air Flow sensor which can actually measure how much air is going into the engine. A MAP sensor just measures vacuum in the intake manifold and the computer uses that to determine how much fuel to give the engine from a predetermined set of tables. You can put a cold air intake on, but the computer can't really tell you have more air entering it now.

·
Registered
92 Posts
... You can put a cold air intake on, but the computer can't really tell you have more air entering it now.
The Oxygen sensor will tell the computer that there is more air/ oxygen in the exhaust, so the computer will know and will compensate by adding more fuel.

I noticed an improvement in my engine after adding the Airaid CAI and spacer. I had a severe hesitation that went away after adding those items. My engine definitely has better drivability with the CAI and spacer.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I have a MBRP Exhaust and a Air Raid CAI and they really didn't change performance, but made it sound louder...

A CAI really made my engine louder than my exhaust. Did it add HP or MPG's? I would like to think it did, but it didn't.

I have a MBRP exhaust, Air Raid CAI, and a Superchips Programmer, all which has done little to nothing for performance.

Re-gearing is the best bang for the buck and I can see it in the future.

YouTube - Airraid CAI + MBRP Exhaust

·
Registered
169 Posts
Theres not much extra power to be had by these engines because they use a speed density system which uses a MAP sensor instead of a Mass Air Flow sensor which can actually measure how much air is going into the engine. A MAP sensor just measures vacuum in the intake manifold and the computer uses that to determine how much fuel to give the engine from a predetermined set of tables. You can put a cold air intake on, but the computer can't really tell you have more air entering it now.
it actually can b/c with more air, the map sensor will see a higher pressure for a given throttle position and therefore add more fuel. how much good it does, i don't know and can't give any comment on that. :smokin:

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
AEM cai
Flashpaq
Sprint booster = More power:beer:
cat back exhaust

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
The performance tune that comes with the Diablosport Predator/Trinity delivered 10 more wheel horsepower (I had it on a dyno :D).

You cant really feel 10 hp but it also changed the shifting up which made for a much more enjoyable ride. You def feel a difference.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Correction - RIPP Headers, cat back exhaust - and tune with Diablo Sport predator....this is a cold pass...
lol- or a Diablo SP.

But honestly- even with no tune, the RIPP long tubes will still show some performance improvement over stock.......yes?

·
Registered
489 Posts
CAI + TB spacer will net little to no gains. Wasted money imo. I would re-gear, add some RIPP long tube headers and tune it with a Flashpaq. JMO
:trooper::usa::jeep2::D:D:jeep2::trooper:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts