JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so it seems that everyone is putting lots of lights on, but very few just replace the bulbs for the normal reverse lights.
I see quite a few options out there for better plug in reverse lights. 3157 bulb style.
I want my normal reverse lights to be BRIGHT.
If I want extra, that is what I will use extra lighting for.
I don't want to cut my lens and put the led there.

It seems that a lot of the 3157 bulbs are crap and don't last that long.
But then the next options up cost around $90 for a pair.
Are those $90 bulbs worth it? And do they really last?
Not afraid to spend the money on the bulbs if they work well and last.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have vled's in the interior of my rig, and I can say that their quality is good. I know they have 6K white LED 7W which is very bright for the revere lights.

·
Premium Member
5,705 Posts
I put the plug and play LED's in and those were bright. Paid like $20 iirc.
My new light dots suck hard as far as reverse lights.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How many lumens are these different ones that are cheaper?
I imagine that with reverse only, even the cheaper bulbs should last a fairly long time.
But I see some of them that cost $90 showing pretty high REAL lumens, not just the lumens added up from each bulb.

Also, are the reverse lights a standard 3157? Or are they one of the other 3157s?

·
Registered
6 Posts
About a year ago I bought LED backup bulbs from Amazon, and the pair was about $20. I can no longer find that bulb on Amazon, but they look like this:

{Oops, since I'm a newbie, they won't let me post pictures yet - sorry. The bulbs I bought were about 2 -1/2" long, and had an aluminum cylindrical body with an LED every 90 degrees around the side, and one led on the business end with a magnifier over it. Advertised as 80 watts, but probably more like 10 watts in real life -- still, very bright}

Find out from Google exactly what bulb number is needed for your JK, and then look around online - you should be able to find similar bulbs for less than 20 bucks a pair.

The ones I have work GREAT. Very bright, which is what I wanted -- makes using my backup camera at night no problem (I can see 30 feet or more back).

Good luck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Here is a pair on ebay similar to what I have - $29 for two. Search ebay for this to see them:

"GENSSI 80W LED Reverse Backup Light Bulbs For Jeep Wrangler JK 2007-2016"

Cheers...

·
Registered
6 Posts
About a year ago I bought LED backup bulbs from Amazon, and the pair was about $20. I can no longer find that bulb on Amazon, but they look like this:

http://www.quadratec.com/sites/default/files/styles/product_zoomed/public/product_images/225680.jpg

Find out from Google exactly what bulb number is needed, and then look around online - you should be able to find similar bulbs for less than 20 bucks a pair.

The ones I have work GREAT - very bright, which is what I wanted -- makes using my backup camera at night no problem.

Good luck.

·
Registered
398 Posts
I used these for $17 from Amazon. I had to fudge with the contacts a little (Took about 60 seconds per bulb with a dental pick) to get them to make contact in the OEM Jeep socket. They are bright, white, and should last about forever.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGBTFEG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bulbeats 1200 Lumens 2pcs 144-BX Chipsets 3056 3156 3057 3157 LED Bulbs with Projector backup lights turn signal light brake light tail light White 6000K Best Value!

• 2pcs/Set of 144pcs BX chipsets per bulb with projector. Lighting output: about 1200 lumens for each bulb. 144pcs BX chipsets, each chipset around 8~9LM
• Color:6000K Xenon White. Working Voltage 10v-24v. Size:2.25" long and 0.70" in diameter.Fits: 3156 3056 3356 3456 4156 3047 3157 3157A 3057 3155 3157NA 3357 3457 3457A 4057 4114 4157 etc
• Low power consumption, save your power supply. Ideal for Back-Up Reverse Light,Brake&Tail light Light,Fog light,Turn Signal Light head light etc
• **Please check your car Socket before purchasing**! **Please make sure the measurement before purchasing**! THIS IS NOT FOR Standard CK SOCKET!Contact us if there is any questions!
• 1year warranty Notice:All LED bulbs have to be plugged in a certain way,it has Positive and negative, so if they don't work at first, quickly take them out, turn them around 180 degree, and put them back in again.

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Lumens count on LED bulbs is just about a worthless number. A lot of small LED bulbs do not actually create a real life lumen count as high as fewer and brighter LED bulbs. Especially when it comes to the 'throw' of the light.
Not saying any of these are better, but I naturally distrust bulbs that have a lot of 'extra' LEDs to make up for the fact they are all smaller and less powerful LEDs to start with.
I am happy with what I have, as long as they LAST.

To be honest, I can see in reverse now. Nothing great, but something that you should be able to expect from a new vehicle!
I will still wire up some LED floods to the back for when I REALLY need to see everything. But these will do for everyday life. As long as they last a few good years.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Short term follow up.
I am quite happy with these bulbs for drop in replacement bulbs.
I will still add a set of LED floods to the back. But I don't feel like I need them every time I try and back up!
I back into a small garage space every night with no lighting. These light it up very well and I can actually SEE what is behind me now.

We will see about long term. But honestly, these are reverse lights. They will only get so many hours of usage, so I would expect them to last a very long time unless I do something stupid.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I used these for $17 from Amazon. I had to fudge with the contacts a little (Took about 60 seconds per bulb with a dental pick) to get them to make contact in the OEM Jeep socket. They are bright, white, and should last about forever.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DGBTFEG/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bulbeats 1200 Lumens 2pcs 144-BX Chipsets 3056 3156 3057 3157 LED Bulbs with Projector backup lights turn signal light brake light tail light White 6000K Best Value!

• 2pcs/Set of 144pcs BX chipsets per bulb with projector. Lighting output: about 1200 lumens for each bulb. 144pcs BX chipsets, each chipset around 8~9LM
• Color:6000K Xenon White. Working Voltage 10v-24v. Size:2.25" long and 0.70" in diameter.Fits: 3156 3056 3356 3456 4156 3047 3157 3157A 3057 3155 3157NA 3357 3457 3457A 4057 4114 4157 etc
• Low power consumption, save your power supply. Ideal for Back-Up Reverse Light,Brake&Tail light Light,Fog light,Turn Signal Light head light etc
• **Please check your car Socket before purchasing**! **Please make sure the measurement before purchasing**! THIS IS NOT FOR Standard CK SOCKET!Contact us if there is any questions!
• 1year warranty Notice:All LED bulbs have to be plugged in a certain way,it has Positive and negative, so if they don't work at first, quickly take them out, turn them around 180 degree, and put them back in again.
I got those Genesis bulbs about two years ago. They lasted until I switched to a full replacement. Only thing was you have to keep a eye on them. The lens kept unscrewing inside the housing somehow I did end up putting axillary lights I'm the rear as well and wiring them to a switch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

1 - 16 of 16 Posts