JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for some opinions on the best short arm lift for on road ride and performance.

I know that most kits out there will do fine for what I need off road that is why I am more concerned about on road performance. I do not want to bring price into the equation and short arm lifts only.

At the top of my list so far are Clayton and AEV.

·
Premium Member
1,134 Posts
This should be interesting. I like Terraflex, Rock Krawler and Currie. :thefinger:

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to clear some things up I am only new to the JK here is a link to LJ I built last year.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/gcally-lj-build-680123/index11.html

I ended up selling the LJ because the poor on road performance and how hard it was to get my 2 year old in and out of the jeep. My LJ had the best of everything on it and it was a shame that I only got to use it a couple of times.

But reality is….. After spending 20K on a 3 year old JK I want to use it and not let it sit in the garage. I have little time to actually go on wheeling trips (only 7 or 8 a year) so the new 4 door JK must perform and ride on the road very well or it will never get driven. And let’s be honest it is amazing where a stock Rubicon will go off-road so most lift kits out there will be fine for what I need it to do.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
I love my RockKrawler stuff, but their arms aren't exactly that smooth riding. They are basically rigid so hits get tranfered to the frame. I am curious about this as well.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Dude, with the coming Metal Cloak flares you'll fit 35's with no lift. How's that for keeping road manners?
For $20K for a 3 year old, I hope you got a Rubicon for that price.

·
RIP Brad
3,762 Posts
Mmmm, mmmm.... I love me some Johnny Joints. Not sure, but does anyone but Currie offer them at both ends of the arms?

Most everyone is going to tell you their kit (the one they have installed) is best. I think shocks might have a lot to do with ride quality...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Dude, with the coming Metal Cloak flares you'll fit 35's with no lift. How's that for keeping road manners?
I second that. Most of the aftermarket kits are going to have johnnies and that translates to a harsher ride.

The factory suspension is already a short arm. Get a leveling kit, aftermarket flares, some goooood shocks then slap some 33's on that bad boy and ride out. :mr-t:

Of course, that is unless you got more money than you know what to do with and in that case, just try all the kits out there and post up what you find! :beer:

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
I am looking for some opinions on the best short arm lift for on road ride and performance.

I know that most kits out there will do fine for what I need off road that is why I am more concerned about on road performance. I do not want to bring price into the equation and short arm lifts only.

At the top of my list so far are Clayton and AEV.
So far i've installed:
AEV's lift (both spring heights)
teraflex's 2.5 coil
tera's 2.5 spacer
Rusty's with rustys shocks
Rusty's with Bilsteins
Bastard lift on my wife's (4 door rubi springs/shocks with 1" spacer up front)
full traction 2" BB
RE 2" BB
Teraflex levelling kit
BDS 4.5"

maybe a few others that i'm forgetting. anyway.

i think Rusty's has the best bang for Buck.
The teraflex 2.5" rode really nicely
The AEV's rode really nicely as well, but is on the high end for price.

If it were me... I'd do the Rusty's 3.25 with AEV control arm brackets. Bang for buck i think that'd be the best setup. shocks are up to you. you can certainly get a BETTER kit for more $ (the AEV comes to mind) but even the AEV doesn't come with adjustable track bars.

if you need help putting it on let me know. Are you in NEC, hrja, or pgh-offroad?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For $20K for a 3 year old, I hope you got a Rubicon for that price.
Nope, I paid 19 for a rescue green unlimited sahara with 40k. I like Arb's way better than the stock electric locker.

You are way off on price if you can find a rubicon unlimited with decent miles for 20K I will take 3.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Has anyone ridden in a JK with a Clayton lift? I have always heard really good things about their TJ and LJ stuff.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
if you need help putting it on let me know. Are you in NEC, hrja, or pgh-offroad?
I am not on the hrja or pgh-offroad but I will be now that you pointed them out.
What is the NEC?

Install is not a problem the problem is choosing good quality components. I have it all figured out for a TJ or LJ but I am clueless for the new JK.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Has anyone ridden in a JK with a Clayton lift? I have always heard really good things about their TJ and LJ stuff.
I have the 3.5 clayton and love it. I'm not going to say it's the best because I have it, i honestly do not know how some of the others ride.
i would compare the ride quality to stock. After a year of having the kit installed, I wore out the drag link and replaced it with the clayton flip kit. That made a nice improvement too.

·
Registered
10,289 Posts
I am not on the hrja or pgh-offroad but I will be now that you pointed them out.
What is the NEC?

Install is not a problem the problem is choosing good quality components. I have it all figured out for a TJ or LJ but I am clueless for the new JK.
www.northeastcrawlers.com

it's based out of NE ohio. a lot of the crew works at 4wd. kelly young is the VP (pink jeep from crawl for a cure, you see it in 4wd's magazine) and you see a few of mine in that catalogue too lol

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
This should be interesting. I like Terraflex, Rock Krawler and Currie. :thefinger:
X2 on that. Add Polly, RE and OME to the list.

I love my Rock Krawler stuff :beer:

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Might want to do some research here... What do you need off road? What do you need on road? What size tire are you trying to run? Does price REALLY not matter? You get what you pay for....

Some recommendations:
-Synergy Starter System
-Synergy Stage 1 System
-Synergy Stage 1.5 System
-Synergy Stage 2 System
-Synergy Stage 3 System

1 - 20 of 40 Posts