JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So considering buying a bunch of 7" offroad lights w/cages. Although I still haven't decided on a roof mount yet; I plan to mount 4 on the roof, 2 on the windshield and 2 on the back.

Honestly I probably will hardly ever use them, but I figure what the heck. I know PIAA's and most other are expensive, so I'm ideally looking for an affordable solution.

I found some good LED ones I'm still waiting on pricing for; wanted to know if anyone has experience with LEDs w/built in ballasts or if there are any other entry level aux lights I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
All of the LEDs that are worth a damn a pretty expensive, but then again you wouldn't need all the lights you want with them either because they are bright.

Hella 500s are cheap and pretty bright. Look on Amazon.com and you can get a pair for about 40 bucks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea they need a reflector + ballast...they company makes existing LED aux lights but they all have crappy fascias/protectors so I'm just having them add this nice looking "Jeep" one to it.

Still trying to negotiate prices with them; if I got a few of you on here interested in them I'm sure we'd be able to get a good deal.

Just curious; what do typical 7" LEDs retail for on the market?

·
Registered
6,381 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
$600 per light? Thats insane! If I'm able to offer something comparable for less than $100 do you think a lot of people will be interested in it?

By the way, has anyone installed strobe lights/sirens in their headlight housings? I'm looking at putting strobes in my headlights- no real reason, only cause I can pick them up for literally next to nothing.

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I have strobes in my tails and in my front turn signals - I couldn't do my headlights because I have Deltas and they are glass so I made little housings and put them in the top corners of the outer grill slots.

Great for helping dad move heavy equipment or if I have to park in a sketchy spot by a road while geocaching or when I help out the sheriff's dept.

The trick with the xmitter lights is that they use 10 watt leds, I havent seen more than a 3 watt available in bulk at a decent price.
The thing about leds is that most don't need much of a reflector at all, the led 'bulb' itself will focus most of the light forward anyway.
Look at the xmitter bars and at the round one, hardly any reflector.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I have strobes in my tails and in my front turn signals - I couldn't do my headlights because I have Deltas and they are glass so I made little housings and put them in the top corners of the outer grill slots.

Great for helping dad move heavy equipment or if I have to park in a sketchy spot by a road while geocaching or when I help out the sheriff's dept.

The trick with the xmitter lights is that they use 10 watt leds, I havent seen more than a 3 watt available in bulk at a decent price.
The thing about leds is that most don't need much of a reflector at all, the led 'bulb' itself will focus most of the light forward anyway.
Look at the xmitter bars and at the round one, hardly any reflector.
The VisionX LEDs put out a lot of light for the little draw they pull! Very impressive.

If you are rarely going to use the lights I would stick with Halogen. They offer the biggest bang for your buck.

James

1 - 11 of 11 Posts