JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got an 07 stock JK that I'm ready to start modifyng. I want to lift it but I do a lot of freeway time on it and I son't want to go over 3.5". Any recommendations on what you think is the best lift kit for me?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 4dr. I think i'll prob end up with 33's with a pretty big offset on it. I'd like to run 35's but i think my mpg will be screwed. What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
I totally agree on the 35's. I have a 3.25" Rough Country lift and Mickey Thompson 35's, and I love it. It rides nice. I don't really notice a huge difference in gas mileage. It was bad before, and it's still bad. :)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Just go straight to the 35's. Its all your going to think about if you go with 33's
Definitally 35s. 33s look tiny on a 4-door, and really are not much of an improvement over the stock tire size. 3.5" of lift is way overkill to run 33s on a JK; thats what people do to run 33s on a TJ/YJ. Get 35s, you will regret wasting your money on 33s.

A small 2.5"-3.5" lift to run 35s will be cheap, easy to install, and maintain good road manners.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great info! 35's it is...

Any other recomendations on a brand of lift kit? I was thinking RUbicon express but haven't pulled the trigger yet

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
There are many great kits / manufacturer's Poly Performance, Rock Krawler, Old Man Emu seem to be all good systems. Maybe check with guys who wheel where / how you plan to run your rig.

On teh 33's / 35's If you keep your stockers and a set of 35's you can swap to the 32's for when you are a month or more between offroad adventures. I run about 4000 miles a month and swap between 35's and a craigslist set of rubi take off's.
The ride will be better, milage will be a little better(if 16 vs 13 is better), and the 32's are often cheaper.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Not going with 35's because of mileage can be solved. If you really want 35's then regearing and installing a programmer will get you close to solving those issues.

As for lift Rock Krawler kits are great on the street my wife drives ours(3.5 X-Factor with 37's) an hour and a half on the freeway 2-3 times a week and loves it. Now for a woman that drives an limited expedition half the time also to say that is a big statement.

You can read countless post on here where they went from this kit to that kit and vice versa. Point is figure out what you really want and get as close to that as your budget will allow. There is no sense spending money on a lift twice.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Best lift kit does not exist. Lots of excellent kits to choose from though.
^that's so true. And I'm 100% onboard with the 35" tire thing. A 33" will look small on a 4D.

My advice on lift is this. Since you are just starting this process and are undecided - get a spacer lift. That will allow you to run the 35"s and will make your JK look great for very little cost. Then take lots of time and study what other guys are running and how they like the lift long term. Don't do what I (and many others) did and spend $$ on a lift and a year later change it to something else. If I had taken my time I could have saved myself the trouble and money. If you ever want to go extreme for suspension click the RK link below.

Good luck:beer:

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Poly there lifts are upgradeable your jeep can grow as you get bored with the 35s We went big 37s and a 5.5 long arm love it handles better than stosk 75 on the freeway no problems do it one time go big and save $

·
Registered
70 Posts
i'm putting together my lift from assorted manufactures. proper alignment and everyday driveabity is important to me. the tire size i will using is 35" with
17" /3.5" offset rims.

the concept is not for max lift, but min. lift yet get good articulation. the
over all lift will be only 2"-2.5". high clearence fenders and minor body mods are anticipated to prevent tire rub. my intention is to use adjustable coil spring perches (stock springs) on all four corners and the rear lower axle. spring retainers will also be used. for the control arms upper/lowers, track bars i'm using adjustable jks. the rear axle controll arm mounts will be reinforced/strengthen by posion spyder rear skids and a jks trailing arm reinforcement bracket. for the front i'm picking up a dynotrack prorock 44 housing and transfer my stock rubicon internals. will use 4.88 gears since the jeep is a standard 2 door. i haven't decided what shocks i will use. this is an expensive route since it takes a while to collect all the parts (i'm about halfway there). but i figure it will be worth the time and $ in the long term. it also worth it to get everything done at once so clearance and articulation can be checked. there are some ther bits and pieces for the steering, but i haven't thought that out yet.

some of the parts can be found here
http://www.jksmfg.com/

·
Registered
37 Posts
Old Man Emu has been a great 2.5 ( really 3" lift ). I went with the 295 70 17 on my ride. I would say that is the max that you could go without re gearing or really seeing a drop in the power of your Jeep. Look around here on the different threads about the lack of power this ride has and that his greatly magnified by bigger tires (requiring the re gearing) The tires I have are also a great on / off road tire as well Nitto Trail Grapplers. I posted some photos on another thread of my Jeep with the OME lift and the 33.5' s http://jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32269&page=2

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Great info! 35's it is...

Any other recomendations on a brand of lift kit? I was thinking RUbicon express but haven't pulled the trigger yet
Well, as already mentioned, there is NO perfect lift out there.

Since you spend a bunch of time on the road, as most of us do with our daily driver JK's, try to find local guys that you can go for a ride with...before you order yours up.

That is the best thing you can do. There's nothing worse than spending money on these rigs only to find out you don't like the performance...and than throw more money at it to make it better. :shaking:

Money: how much to put into you rig once you buy your tires, wheels or wheel spacers.

4 door auto trans? make sure to put funds asside for a front driveshaft if you plan to wheel the truck.

I currently run a 2.5" Terraflex coil/ shock kit. The ride is OK, but not like stock handling. flighty over 40mph. Lower control arms will help with some of that.

The AEV kits are a love/hate setup here. I did get to drive this kit with a set of 35" Toyo MT's, and it handles very nice!!! better than my 2.5" kit does.
The Premium kit with the high steer is all you need with the pruchase of a front drivesahaft. That will get you up on 35's with great road manners and comes with the ProCal to adjust for your tire size.

I go tto help put the 4.5" kit on last weekend. It went together nicely. The 3.5" kit sounds like it may be a good option for you.

Good luck on your build.

·
Registered
4,734 Posts
All of these guys have given you great advice. A 2.5" or 3.5" system will be great for you! Now you just have to figure out what features and price range you want to be in to choose the best lift for you!

Rock Krawler

1 - 20 of 27 Posts