JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a while now, we have been thinking about putting together a functional and practical kit and we'd like your feedback.
If you could put 10-15 items in a bag what would they be?
it doesn't have to only be recovery gear. It can be survival gear, small parts, anything.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Lots of "bugout bag" threads around
non recovery...
small first aid kit
good knife
poncho
p cord (used to be shoe laces before p cord was cheap and common place)
blanket
fire starter stick (I like a magnifying glass too)
energy bars
water purifier or tablets or bleach
plastic water bottle (store stuff in it to maximize space)
light (glow sticks, flashlight, whatever)

recovery (use a dry bag)...
at least 2 shackles
30 ft recovery strap
tree saver
2 sets leather gloves
roll of orange Velcro
flashlight (clip on capable) and glow sticks
jacket or some other useful item to drape over steel cable
synthetic cable sleeve (for runs that have to cross rock/tree)
snatch block
Ok, it was 11 but lets count the 2 pair of gloves as one item.

·
Registered
250 Posts
extra D shackles
snatch block
tree protector
tow strap
short piece of heavy chain (good for choking around logs/down dead trees)
heavy gloves
winch blanket
spare fuses
misc common sized nuts/bolts
wire ties
duck tape
bungee cords of various sizes
ratchet straps

generally whats in my recovery bag

·
Registered
402 Posts
extra D shackles
snatch block
tree protector
tow strap
short piece of heavy chain (good for choking around logs/down dead trees)
heavy gloves
winch blanket
spare fuses
misc common sized nuts/bolts
wire ties
duck tape
bungee cords of various sizes
ratchet straps

generally whats in my recovery bag
add tire plug kit and that's what mine looks like

·
Registered
592 Posts
i've got
trial mix
two knives,
signal mirrior
E blanket for 2(and an old warm cover :lol: )
rope
tow grade chain w/ shackles and hooks
flares
orange reflector tape
flashlight
a large plastic water bottle
fire starters
duct tape

and a folding camp shovel

·
Registered
154 Posts
A blanket or tarp is nice. I carry a mechete too (it has a saw tooth back). A couple ratchet straps and zip ties. And most of the other stuff mentioned. Plus a tool bag.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I carry an emergency backpack with first aid kit, water, energy bars, thermal blanket, maps, GPS, spare dry socks, rain gear, etc. I have a separate tool bag with parts spares, u-joints for drive shafts & axle shafts, a spare outer stub shaft (I have Spyntec hubs), front wheel bearing set & seal, spare hub set, u-joint u-bolts, wire & repair kit, spare serpentine belt, tensioner & roller, stop leak, JB Weld, RTV, 5 spare lug nuts, spare schrader valves, valve stem caps, fuse set, cotter pin assortment,spare brake lines & sealing washers and a spare set of the most common suspension bolts & nuts. Under the rear seat I carry a set of inner front axle shafts. In a plastic cooler I carry fluids, motor & gear oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, funnel & hose, a small fluid pump for quart bottles & a Mityvac. I have a Rotopax water carrer, about 2 gallons, that stuffs on the side of the rear compartment.

I have a Warn winch bag with d-rings, tree saver, snatch block, gloves, winch line counterweight. Controller is kept in the cab. Carry a final tool bag with jumper cables, ARB tire plug kit, collapsible lug wrench & sockets a tow strap. All this stuff packs down easily under a Safari Strap net cover in back, along with a full tool box. Has saved mine & a number of others butts numerous times.

·
Registered
339 Posts
2 things I always carry with me offroad are a chainsaw and an axe as backup. Alot of the trails we run are snowmobile trails in the winter and we encounter fallen trees quite often. Also great for making a nice fire when we stop for lunch as well.

PS they don't fit in a bag. Sorry. The axe goes under the floor and the chainsaw is mounted to the rollbar with a ATV/UTV chainsaw clamp

·
Registered
592 Posts
I carry an emergency backpack with first aid kit, water, energy bars, thermal blanket, maps, GPS, spare dry socks, rain gear, etc. I have a separate tool bag with parts spares, u-joints for drive shafts & axle shafts, a spare outer stub shaft (I have Spyntec hubs), front wheel bearing set & seal, spare hub set, u-joint u-bolts, wire & repair kit, spare serpentine belt, tensioner & roller, stop leak, JB Weld, RTV, 5 spare lug nuts, spare schrader valves, valve stem caps, fuse set, cotter pin assortment,spare brake lines & sealing washers and a spare set of the most common suspension bolts & nuts. Under the rear seat I carry a set of inner front axle shafts. In a plastic cooler I carry fluids, motor & gear oil, trans fluid, brake fluid, funnel & hose, a small fluid pump for quart bottles & a Mityvac. I have a Rotopax water carrer, about 2 gallons, that stuffs on the side of the rear compartment.

I have a Warn winch bag with d-rings, tree saver, snatch block, gloves, winch line counterweight. Controller is kept in the cab. Carry a final tool bag with jumper cables, ARB tire plug kit, collapsible lug wrench & sockets a tow strap. All this stuff packs down easily under a Safari Strap net cover in back, along with a full tool box. Has saved mine & a number of others butts numerous times.
:eek: hot damn. remind me to find you when theres a :shitstorm:

·
Super Moderator
6,179 Posts
Kodiak dip
SMARTWATER
Colt 1911
ammo for the previous
Pr0n
toilet paper
Highway Bingo
Mink Oil