JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent time doing search but didn't really find the answer. If you have a hand held please let me know the brand, price and who well you like it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I bought a good cobra handheld a while back and they just don't transmit well, I don't think you will be happy with one if you get it. I tried external antenna, etc. and they just aren't power enough for Jeeping (if thats what you want it for). For the price of a handheld, you can get a cheap uniden, a firestick and cable for less than $100...just my .02 and experience

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I don't care for them in a trail rig- too clumsy, battery strength, interference, weak signal strength. Of course you can get a high dollar hand-held that has better features, and stronger trans/ rec strength, but overall I just like the convenience and reliability of a hard mounted cb.

My Uniden 520xl is small- really small and I have used it for over 7 years in 3 different Jeeps with not one issue. It was cheap too- including the cable, PA, and firestik.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Kerry and I talked on Uniden 520's today and we were about 2 miles away- no interference and flawless transmission/ receiving (after I turned down my squelch- lol).

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm doing a Cobera 75 install but the thing is that I have a wheeling trip coming up and don't have the time to get the big radio running. So the hand held will be for the trip that is in less than 2 weeks. I'll only need to talk to other rigs in my group.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
If you wanna borrow my cobra handheld your welcome to, but the logistics of getting it might be an issue since I'm in bastrop....I may be in Austin Tuesday if my parts get delivered to 4 wheel parts, if not Tuesday, it'll likely be the weekend....just let me know, that way you don't have to buy one,,,,if you want to buy one the one I have is the 38WXST for a reference...

·
Registered
24 Posts
I've seen a lot of people using an all-in-one setup by cooltech. It uses the Cobra 75. Here's a link... Can't personally attest to the attributes of it, but for trail-ridin' communication it looks like it would do fine...

·
Registered
237 Posts
The Midland 75-822 is the best handheld in my opinion. It has quite a few features and its best quality is that you can use it as a full time unit with the included car adapter and an external antenna. I have been using mine for three years and I love it. The battery pack is easy to slide on when you need to get out of your rig.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
it will only take under an hour to do a quick cobra 75 install.

You can always do it right when you have time.
My whole good install probably only took a little over an hour.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The Midland 75-822 is the best handheld in my opinion. It has quite a few features and its best quality is that you can use it as a full time unit with the included car adapter and an external antenna. I have been using mine for three years and I love it. The battery pack is easy to slide on when you need to get out of your rig.

I have this one myself, no problems with it, and low profile keeps it out of way.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I had the midland and loved the versatility of it, especially when outside of the rig. We would camp/hike/kayak and the midland performed admirably with the rubber antenna. Another good use is for winching and spotting.

When in the rig, I had it wired to a firestik and the reception was pretty good.

Since it's so portable, I eventually dropped it and then decided to check out the Cobra while it was on sale. If and when it breaks, I'll be going back to the midland.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
like others have said, if you use a hand held you need an external antenna or no one will hear you.:beer:

·
Registered
1,087 Posts

I have this one as well, and it works quite well when hooked up to my firestik, not so great when its not:beer:

·
CalmerThanYouAre
9,383 Posts

I use the midland as well. Normally connected to an external antenna but when used as a handheld for a spot last year the top and bottom of the hill could hear me loud and clear. Also works great on the highway when wired to an external ant.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts