JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, who makes the best fitting corner armor? I am looking for a plain (or as close to plain) as possible with no light cutouts. I would like a "half armor" but I have no problem cutting off the side part if the fit is worth it :D I will be cutting my own light holes and filling the hinge slots (drop down tailgate)

Now, I do not want some brown nosing shine off pimping because OMG!! you love their stuf !!! .....no. Actually seen or actually own information please. And be brutally honest, if there are gaps I would like to know as this would be metalwork I have to do.

AEV? Poison Spyder? River Raider? who?

·
Registered
666 Posts
The poison spyder corners are actually AEV corners with added steel to cover the entire corner panel. I currently have the PSC corners, and previously owned AEV's, which made the install a breeze. I don't have any experience with RR's products, but the PSC corners are very legit. The only down side is that they're 1/8" steel but you do have the option to get them without cutouts for recessed lights. The fit is exceptional and there's no gaps.

·
Registered
96 Posts
OR-Fab has some killer corner armor! Its on the list of mods to do.:)

·
Registered
898 Posts
I have river raiders, I would have to say its probably the thickest out there but you do have to trim the shit out of the taillight area. The fit is very good long as you trim the tail light are as directed. I posted the install couple yrs ago when it first came out. If I were to do it again, I would buy another raider corner plus, they will custome make the corners to your specs in steel or aluminum and you do not have to fill in the gap if you are doing a drop down tailgate

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,943 Posts
I have no experience with them on account of they took so damn long to come out, but i would think that the Poison Spyder corner armor would fit the best, just becuase of how they are stamped. I have the River Raider full aluminum corners that i had them make kind of custom. I wanted to make them work with my off roade evolution rocker armor, so i had them make them run long in front of the rear tire. You can see how they run long in this pic.

I took some measurements, cut and bent the bottoms of the corners on the press break so that the agle matched the off road evo rocker armor.

Any way, i probably could have made them fit a little tighter at the rear corners, but i got in kind of a hurry and ended up with a slight gap. I still love the RR corners becuase they are 3/16 thick and they are aluminum. They also look cool. I quit giving a fuck about making everything real slick a while back.

·
RIP Brad
3,760 Posts
Facts produced from my own eyes.......

RR: fit like shit.
EVO: fit like shit (I have seen three different versions, all fit poorly)
Warrior: fit like shit.
PSC: fit perfectly!

Really.... the only option is PSC, if you want something that looks good and fits perfectly. None of the others that I have seen even come close to fitting. It is very sad that there isn't any real competition to the PSC item..... good thing for us they don't wake up to this and then gouge us due to their COMPLETE lack of competition.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I only have had experience with RROR and I am happy.

The transition from rear panel to back is what has to be a bitch for production. We worked hard to get the gap to 1/8" which is just right. Added some silicone to clean it up.

IF PSC figured out that line it would make fit up a lot easier, not that the RROR is THAT much of a bitch... just have to be patient and take your time.

Well nuts are easy to work with, and I have zero issues after a year of use which included leaning on a few trees.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well nuts are not a concern as it will either be plug welded in place or 3M 5200 and nutserts.

Fit and finish is my main concern as it will be painted to match, cleared, color sanded, you get the idea.
I spend a lot of time to make sure things look good so when I bend them to fuck later I have no excuse to leave it that way :laughing:

·
Breaker of nice things
2,477 Posts
The poison spyder corners are actually AEV corners with added steel to cover the entire corner panel. I currently have the PSC corners, and previously owned AEV's, which made the install a breeze. I don't have any experience with RR's products, but the PSC corners are very legit. The only down side is that they're 1/8" steel but you do have the option to get them without cutouts for recessed lights. The fit is exceptional and there's no gaps.
^^^This. I went with the AEV just because I wanted to keep some of the stock body showing (and PSC hadn't come out with their 2-door version yet :shitstorm:) They fit extremely well.

...and, as you requested, they do come without cutouts, if you want. :marcy:

·
Registered
10,329 Posts
^^^This. I went with the AEV just because I wanted to keep some of the stock body showing (and PSC hadn't come out with their 2-door version yet :shitstorm:) They fit extremely well.

...and, as you requested, they do come without cutouts, if you want. :marcy:

nick has the overkill ones (that cover about the same area). and they've held up great....

however the tub all the way to them is smashed to hell. my .02 is get a set that will cover to the door.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Facts produced from my own eyes.......

RR: fit like shit.
EVO: fit like shit (I have seen three different versions, all fit poorly)
Warrior: fit like shit.
PSC: fit perfectly!

Really.... the only option is PSC, if you want something that looks good and fits perfectly. None of the others that I have seen even come close to fitting. It is very sad that there isn't any real competition to the PSC item..... good thing for us they don't wake up to this and then gouge us due to their COMPLETE lack of competition.
+1 .... Ive beem shopping for corner armor and looked at everything I can get eyes on. PSC has the BEST fit, bar none.

·
Heat'n and a beat'n...
3,943 Posts
If i had to do it all over again, i would still get the River Raider corners that i have, except i would get them to drill the holes smaller so i can use nut certs instead of the well nuts. I much rather nutcerts than well nuts.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thats a lousy picture, they look way better in person, and no you dont have to have the lizard or the lights either. You can order them the way you want them. Just FYI. But thats fine if you dont like them.:bawling:

·
Registered
283 Posts
I wanted to keep the Stock Taillight (don't mind the flush round trailer lights, but wanted something different).
So I went with the Overkill Engineering. They are 3/16" thick. While the fit on the corners is Awesome, I was lied to by what's her name about the West Coast Stamp shit (she told me they no longer did it, but it was stamped out when I received them).

·
Registered
898 Posts
Didn't someone have issues with psc armor cracking last year? The psc and aev, what I've seen looks great but they are nowhere as thick as rr. I would like to see metal cloak but theirs isn't one piece but i know they make great products. I guess my rr looks and fits great because Kenny installed them but then again most of their 4 door products where made using my jk.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Didn't someone have issues with psc armor cracking last year? The psc and aev, what I've seen looks great but they are nowhere as thick as rr. I would like to see metal cloak but theirs isn't one piece but i know they make great products. I guess my rr looks and fits great because Kenny installed them but then again most of their 4 door products where made using my jk.
if I was to go that thick I would go aluminum but I have no desire to shell out like $700+ for a set of custom ones with no holes or slots :laughing:

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.