JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I recently upgraded my 6-speed JKU Rubicon to 35" BFG KM2's and I think it is time for a regear to 4.88's before I head out west this summer for some wheeling. I am looking for a shop that is not too far from me that does good work for a fair price. I am located in Malvern, PA.

Can you guys recommend some shops and what they charge?

What are the prices for thejeepshop.net, and Down n Dirty?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
The shop that did mine would be a hell of a hike for you, so I will leave them out of the running, but, from a price perspective, it should usually be about 300 per axle for labor. Seems to be "industry standard" for the most part. :beer:

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Yepp, that's what I paid was $300 per axle... Where I went would also be quite the trip for you too, but maybe check out OK4wd... I think they're near Pa?

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Yepp, that's what I paid was $300 per axle... Where I went would also be quite the trip for you too, but maybe check out OK4wd... I think they're near Pa?
They are in Stewartsville, NJ not too far from Easton, PA. They are also a complete fucking ripoff. I called them for a quote on regearing and actually had to ask if that price included the parts (gears, overhaul kits). Nope, it was just for labor. Had it done elsewhere at half the price. They are good for parts, but, stupid expensive when it comes to labor.

·
Registered
858 Posts
We are in Chambersburg PA and we do Re-gears for $600 labor + parts. We also are a full service shop setup for all 4x4 work. Feel free to call to set up an appointment. 717 262 3079

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
They are in Stewartsville, NJ not too far from Easton, PA. They are also a complete fucking ripoff. I called them for a quote on regearing and actually had to ask if that price included the parts (gears, overhaul kits). Nope, it was just for labor. Had it done elsewhere at half the price. They are good for parts, but, stupid expensive when it comes to labor.
Well, in that case OP scratch that for regearing... Sounds like they'll be silly expensive! :beer:

Sent from my cardboard box using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
I had 0k4x4 do mine.... Great guys. Give Chuck a call.

But one thing. Good and Cheep dont always go together.....:D

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Everyone I know either did theirs themselves or paid 300 per axle to have it done. Not a single one has an issue after several years of use, myself included. Again, crash even will do 600 for gears (300 per axle). They wanted about that PER AXLE. River Raider does absolutely killer work and they are on par with the "little guys" with pricing. sometimes you DON'T get what you pay for. They may do good work at OK, but, gears are gears. the work is the same no matter the price. I love my jeep, but wouldn't have paid twice as much for it because the dealer was a nice guy. Just sayin.

Edit - I'm not trying to sound like a dick, it's just that there is a "standard" price range for that work, and OK was nowhere near that price and would not budge when confronted with other shops doing it for much less. I've bought parts from them, and still do. Nice guys indeed, however for GEARS, they are grossly overpriced for the work involved.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Mr. T which shop are you talking about?
The one that did mine? Toms Machine Shop. They, and most others including River Raider charge 300 per axle.

The one that wanted to charge nearly double? OK4WD. Quoted me over a grand not including parts.

·
Premium Member
297 Posts
Mr t

Think you might have been told something crazy or I got lucky. I ended up closer the the 350 per axle number. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Could be, maybe they were super busy and didn't want to deal with it, who knows. That's why I said that I even had to ask if it was parts included. I could not believe my ears. I know they do good work since that was why I contacted them, but, there was no justifying the price I was given. This was a couple years back, so, maybe they weren't too familiar with JK's at that point or the fact that I bought the gears/kits elsewhere factored in. 350 each is not bad at all. Maybe they have wised up and lowered their price since then. Again, not saying they don't do good work, but, from my personal experience with them regarding gears, I would get a quote and keep shopping to see how they pair up.

They are a very capable and experienced 4x4 shop. I even got my snork and stuff from them. Great to deal with on that end for sure. They are a great resource for Northern Jersey. Can't bash them for anything but the quote I was given for labor on gears.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Hi guys, I recently upgraded my 6-speed JKU Rubicon to 35" BFG KM2's and I think it is time for a regear to 4.88's before I head out west this summer for some wheeling. I am looking for a shop that is not too far from me that does good work for a fair price. I am located in Malvern, PA.

Can you guys recommend some shops and what they charge?

What are the prices for thejeepshop.net, and Down n Dirty?
Did you try Jeff Daniels I know they charge $85 per hour for labor....they r in Harleysville PA they have a web site so u can google them....they r pretty reputable shop and I bet they'd give u an estimate over the phone

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gearing

I got quoted about $1300 out the door for gears at Down n Dirty, that is using Nitro gears.

How about The Jeep Shop, near Downingtown, has anyone used them before?

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Did you try Jeff Daniels I know they charge $85 per hour for labor....they r in Harleysville PA they have a web site so u can google them....they r pretty reputable shop and I bet they'd give u an estimate over the phone
Jeff Daniels is about $500 - $600 per axel, + parts. They will give estimates over the phone.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
We are in Chambersburg PA and we do Re-gears for $600 labor + parts. We also are a full service shop setup for all 4x4 work. Feel free to call to set up an appointment. 717 262 3079
Looking forward to picking mine up tomorrow! 5.13 gears will be a very nice change. Love the new shop.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gearing

What are guys running gear wise? I have read that 4.88's are the way to go for a manual, but would love to hear some opinions. I have heard that the failure rates for the 5.13's are higher? Keep in mind that I have a 6-speed.

·
Registered
2,514 Posts
What are guys running gear wise? I have read that 4.88's are the way to go for a manual, but would love to hear some opinions. I have heard that the failure rates for the 5.13's are higher? Keep in mind that I have a 6-speed.
Been running 5.13s for 3 years, no issues with the gears.

All the garbage talk is from the 4.88 guys that wish they went 5.13.

You'll find the same talk about 5.38 from the 5.13 guys.

Sent from my little magic box.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.