JKOwners Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Definitely do not overlook the CZ line when you are trying pistols. I switched from HK to CZ and it was like going from driving a mid size 4 door sedan to driving in nascar, The gun just performs but are less expensive than sig, hk, and other well known brands. machining is not as refined but omg what a trigger once it is broken in. the 75 sp01 is my daily carry and my competition gun. you probably have already purchased something since the op was some time ago but figured I would share since I haven't been here in a while.
This is the second time i've read this line in the last 24hrs. Do you happen to write for TTAG?

·
Registered
46 Posts
[URL="[/URL]

M&P 9
Stormlake Barrel
Apex DEAK trigger
alum trigger
Dawson fiber optic Sights
catalyst mag release.
OD green slide
Dark wolf Grey frame.

Shoots quarter size holes all day long @ 25 yards

[URL="[/URL]

older gun with apex forward sear trigger trigicon sights

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
This is the second time i've read this line in the last 24hrs. Do you happen to write for TTAG?
I don't known what TTAG is so I guess my answer is no. I started shooting competition with my compact 45 just to become better handling a pistol. It was so much fun, I decided to by a competition gun so it would be cheaper to run. Looked at a lot of different platforms from HK P30, to glock, to m&P, to sig. and many more. I went to different ranges that had guns to rent and tried them all. I probably spent $400 renting guns. I had pretty much made up my mind on the G17 and went to a gun range in Charlotte that had them on sale for $450. I was hem hawing around about spending the money and told the guy what I was going to use it for and he asked me if I had ever shot a CZ. I asked him what the hell is a CZ. He pulled 2 rental guns, a CZ75 and a CZ 75 SP01 and showed them to me. I was less than impressed until I dry fired it. I then started getting a little more interesting. The trigger was awesome in each gun. The guy said each gun had about 40000 rounds through them and told me he would rent both for the price of one. I also rented a G17 for comparison, well, there was no comparison for me. I was in love with the SP01. It's a big heavy gun and shot the tightest groups I had ever shot at 25yds. Recoil was almost non existent. I took the guns back up front and told the guy I would take an SP01. He says they don't have one but would see about ordering one. No dice. None of their distributers had any in stock, So after casting a voodoo curse on that bastard for showing me a gun I couldn't buy, I hit the internet and found one about 2 hours away. I told the guy I would take it and rode up the next day. The machine marks were horrible and the trigger was much stiffer than the one I had shot. That smoothed out after about 3000 rounds and then I heard about this place called Cajun gun works, $250 got me some little bitty parts in the mail and I was thinking I had been ripped off. No way some thing that small for a $600 gun should cost that much. After I installed it and shot it, I actually thought about sending Cajun gun works another $250. I am a total of about 10000 rounds down range since last November and it just keeps getting better. If you are looking for refined pistol that looks really good and has a lot of name recognition, this gun is not for you. If however you are looking for a good utility gun that will make you want to shoot more and more, this may be the right gun for you. They are all steel frames and heavy at I think 40oz. I guess it's kinda like the difference between marrying a girl with a beautiful face and a good family name or marrying some skank whore with an ok face, missing a tooth and maybe 2 pimple scars but a rockin round booty and likes to screw all day, every day. I chose the whore.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Sig worthy. Already best post of the day. hmm.... Is there a best post of the day thread? Maybe we should start one????

I guess it's kinda like the difference between marrying a girl with a beautiful face and a good family name or marrying some skank whore with an ok face, missing a tooth and maybe 2 pimple scars but a rockin round booty and likes to screw all day, every day. I chose the whore.

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
For a range gun it's really hard to beat any of the CZ 75's or their variants.

for personal protection. I've completely switched over to all striker fire... well almost. my 20,000+ round FNP9 is DA/SA. But that gun at this point isn't worth anything to sell since it has so many rounds through it. So i just keep it. But the other 5 pistols are all SF.

once i started training for real. Taking classes and doing holster exercises. the da/sa guns really started showing their weaknesses.... or maybe it's just my weakness. But that first pull on DA is tough.

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
I don't known what TTAG is so I guess my answer is no. I started shooting competition with my compact 45 just to become better handling a pistol. It was so much fun, I decided to by a competition gun so it would be cheaper to run. Looked at a lot of different platforms from HK P30, to glock, to m&P, to sig. and many more. I went to different ranges that had guns to rent and tried them all. I probably spent $400 renting guns. I had pretty much made up my mind on the G17 and went to a gun range in Charlotte that had them on sale for $450. I was hem hawing around about spending the money and told the guy what I was going to use it for and he asked me if I had ever shot a CZ. I asked him what the hell is a CZ. He pulled 2 rental guns, a CZ75 and a CZ 75 SP01 and showed them to me. I was less than impressed until I dry fired it. I then started getting a little more interesting. The trigger was awesome in each gun. The guy said each gun had about 40000 rounds through them and told me he would rent both for the price of one. I also rented a G17 for comparison, well, there was no comparison for me. I was in love with the SP01. It's a big heavy gun and shot the tightest groups I had ever shot at 25yds. Recoil was almost non existent. I took the guns back up front and told the guy I would take an SP01. He says they don't have one but would see about ordering one. No dice. None of their distributers had any in stock, So after casting a voodoo curse on that bastard for showing me a gun I couldn't buy, I hit the internet and found one about 2 hours away. I told the guy I would take it and rode up the next day. The machine marks were horrible and the trigger was much stiffer than the one I had shot. That smoothed out after about 3000 rounds and then I heard about this place called Cajun gun works, $250 got me some little bitty parts in the mail and I was thinking I had been ripped off. No way some thing that small for a $600 gun should cost that much. After I installed it and shot it, I actually thought about sending Cajun gun works another $250. I am a total of about 10000 rounds down range since last November and it just keeps getting better. If you are looking for refined pistol that looks really good and has a lot of name recognition, this gun is not for you. If however you are looking for a good utility gun that will make you want to shoot more and more, this may be the right gun for you. They are all steel frames and heavy at I think 40oz. I guess it's kinda like the difference between marrying a girl with a beautiful face and a good family name or marrying some skank whore with an ok face, missing a tooth and maybe 2 pimple scars but a rockin round booty and likes to screw all day, every day. I chose the whore.
i was looking for reviews on the CZ P07 and came across an entry on The Truth About Guns that reviewed the CZ P07 , vs the Sphinx version of the same gun that has a few mods and a different trigger and costs more than twice as much. The writer mentined that he loved the P07 and shot competition with an SP01.

Apparently, the Sphynx SPD is a hell of a pistol, but you can get P07's under $400 all day.

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
i was looking for reviews on the CZ P07 and came across an entry on The Truth About Guns that reviewed the CZ P07 , vs the Sphinx version of the same gun that has a few mods and a different trigger and costs more than twice as much. The writer mentined that he loved the P07 and shot competition with an SP01.

Apparently, the Sphynx SPD is a hell of a pistol, but you can get P07's under $400 all day.
http://www.slickguns.com/product/cz-p-07-38-16rd18rd-9mm-38499-shipped

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts

·
Registered
10,310 Posts
Yeah i watch slick guns daily. I'm waiting for someone to get Kahr CM45's back in stock.

Palmetto State Armory was pricing them at $299 and i hesitated and lost out for now.
I had a P45NS for a while. i liked it. and i had a CM9 that i liked.

as nice as the kahrs shoot (and i'm a fan of them) the walther PPS shoots soooooo much better. but it is a little bigger than the cm9.

·
Registered
137 Posts
A few weeks ago I ordered a CZ P09 from Cajun Gun Works with their Ultimate Pro Package magic done to the pistol in house. Figure I'd eventually do it anyways, and it was less expensive to have it all done up front. I'm 2 weeks out now and waiting patiently. OK, I'm waiting, maybe not so patiently.

The P09 is somewhat similar to the CZ75 but has a polymer frame and different looking slide. Still has the internal slide rails but uses the newer Omega trigger group. Looking forward to getting her to the range to see how she compares to the Browning HP. For $750 including shipping and FFL transfer I think it's a very fair deal. Wish I could drive down and pick her up as I'm just 40 minutes away, but they're across the state line down in Lousyana so have to do the shipping and FFL transfer shuffle.

For a less expensive full size 9mm that's proven design look for the Canik or Tristar pistols made in Turkey. David at CGW said in certain respects they are better built than the CZ's and Walther's they're based on. They've risen in price the past year or so but can still be found for well under $400.

edited to add:

Finally got a chance to get out and throw some lead down range with the new P09. All I can say is WOW. What a sweet shooting pistol. The trigger in single action is 3lb 11oz and breaks very crisply, thanks to David at Cajun Gun Works. I'm just an above average pistol shooter. I shoot pretty well with my M&P and very good with the Hi Power. Initial thoughts are it's gonna be even better with the P09. Very easy to shoot well with this pistol. Shooting a 5 paddle target tree from 10 yards you have to try to miss. The P09 feels very similar to the Hi Power in my hand. Only thing that may take some getting used to is the stippling on the grips. Loving it so far. Now to start stocking up on 9mm.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I have a Sig P226 Elite but consider it a little big for EDC.
I like my .45 1911 4" Commander when I'm on my bike, but my typical EDC is my Sig P938.
Started with a P238 but when the 938 came out I upgraded to the 9mm and gave the .380 to the wife.
My wife's new gun is a Sig SP2022 in FDE. She likes it quite a bit more than the P238.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
I put at least 20,000 rounds thru my 92F and thought it was hard to beat. never had to clean it and could drag it in the mud for days on end and never had a fail to fire. You could limp wrist it and never stove pipe. freaking slide was completely wore out and still hit the target. I have a couple thousand rounds thru my G34 and it is the easiest gun I have ever shot. It 10x's all day long. It is like cheating. I have been shooting since the late 60's and can not believe how easy the G34 is to shoot.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
If, for some reason, this thread is resurrected, I'd like to add that while the P7 may not be in production and used prices are astronomical, Beretta's PX4 Storm Compact is prolly the next best thing for ~ $550. Their Compact "Carry" version is even better for a couple hundred more. The Storm is severely under-rated in the gun world...highly accurate, reliable and great handling characteristics.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a S&W fanboy but just picked up a sign 365x compact with a Romeo red dot. I'm surprised how fast it became my favorite handgun. Love the red dot !

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ruger Max 9. It's like the upgraded version of the LC9. I had the LC9 and really liked it for portability, the Max 9 has the same form with better sights and higher mag capacity.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts