JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to add to my collection with a new 9mm. I have a Berreta 92, which is nice, but I'd like to add one or two. I've shot a friend's Glock recently but found the trigger a little weird and the gun did not not fit my hand well. A CC model is my next buy, any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm looking to add to my collection with a new 9mm. I have a Berreta 92, which is nice, but I'd like to add one or two. I've shot a friend's Glock recently but found the trigger a little weird and the gun did not not fit my hand well. A CC model is my next buy, any suggestions?
Go with Kimber you won't be disappointed

·
Mechanic
1,068 Posts
sig 938
kimber solo
xds 9mm

for the smaller carry size.

whats your price range?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ruger SR9C

Ruger SR9C very affordable and made in the USA. This was my first pistol and still my favorite, I have large hands and with the finger grip extension it fits great. JMO

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
What do you consider to be concealable size? I know folks who concealed carry 5" 1911's and think nothing of it, and there are folks like me with tiny waists who have to go small or not at all.
That said, when I do carry a 9, the only way I'll go is SIG. My P226 is my favorite to shoot, but the P228 or P229 are a bit smaller. Just give it a wipe down with oil once in a while to get your body oils off the metal and you're golden- Mark W.

·
Premium Member
3,426 Posts
I've haven't heard anything bad about Sig Sauer. I don't own one but on my list. I like my 9mm Shield but if you don't like the Glock trigger, you probably won't like the M&P trigger even though I like the M&P trigger over Glock. My first pistol was a Glock so I learned to live with the trigger.

·
Mechanic
1,068 Posts
What do you consider to be concealable size? I know folks who concealed carry 5" 1911's and think nothing of it, and there are folks like me with tiny waists who have to go small or not at all.
That said, when I do carry a 9, the only way I'll go is SIG. My P226 is my favorite to shoot, but the P228 or P229 are a bit smaller. Just give it a wipe down with oil once in a while to get your body oils off the metal and you're golden- Mark W.
im with you - the only 9mm i have are a walther ppq and my sig m11-a1. sig is my daily.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Price range $500 - $800. I recall now firing a Sig at a range years ago and I remember liking it. I also dig all Rugers, never shot one of their 9mm's though...guess I need to go try them at the range where they let you rent them.....sounds like fun....

·
Registered
291 Posts
Price range $500 - $800. I recall now firing a Sig at a range years ago and I remember liking it. I also dig all Rugers, never shot one of their 9mm's though...guess I need to go try them at the range where they let you rent them.....sounds like fun....
That's the best plan. Keep in mind that most ranges don't bother to clean their rentals until they start to malfunction. If some (or all) start to have FTF/FTE issues it's not neccassarily indicative of the firearm design or make. With that said, Glocks work...all the time. I wear a G26 on my four o'clock everyday and I trust that it will function when I need it.

·
Premium Member
3,880 Posts
This is like asking the best kind of beer :laughing: all beer will get you drunk but not all of it you want to drink enough to get that far :D

I would advise go to a rental range or find buddies who own a selection, try what feels good and then ask if they suck :D

·
Registered
997 Posts
For border line pocket pistol CC, go with the Sig P938 if you like the 1911 style operation. It is like a mini 1911. I own a Beretta Nano and in looking for an EDC for my wife we were fondling the XDs, M&P Shield and of course the Nano. IMO the Sig is leaps and bounds better than the other 3. Single action, designed to be carried condition 1, lightweight aluminum fram, sig light sights...Just a great piece.

We will be buying two and my Beretta will not be carried anymore.

-Dan

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
For border line pocket pistol CC, go with the Sig P938 if you like the 1911 style operation. It is like a mini 1911. I own a Beretta Nano and in looking for an EDC for my wife we were fondling the XDs, M&P Shield and of course the Nano. IMO the Sig is leaps and bounds better than the other 3. Single action, designed to be carried condition 1, lightweight aluminum fram, sig light sights...Just a great piece.

We will be buying two and my Beretta will not be carried anymore.

-Dan
the 938 is a great pistol and my carry piece. If i had one wish it would be for a lighter trigger straight out of the box. The stock trigger is a little rough and doesn't smooth out as much as i would like and is a little heavy at 6-7lbs.

Outside of that little complaint that can be easily be dealt with at the gunsmith, mine has been close to flawless with the exception of some light hammer strikes on eastern block 9mm training ammo that is known to have hard primers (S&B). It's never failed to fire one of my carry rounds and always shoot a box of what i carry when i go to the range.

·
Registered
3,341 Posts
You want one that goes bang every time.

I had a Beretta 92FS Stainless and hated the trigger pull.

I'm a die hard Glock guy because they just work and are also the best value.

Lots of good stuff out there though. Personally, and I wouldn't go with a 1911 frame for a 9mm. If I'm going to tote that much weight it will be with a .45. Not a Kimber fan either after I had a lengthy discussion with one of the top 1911-smiths in the business. He said their frames and slides are great but the factory internal parts are garbage.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Agree on the 938 trigger. I bought the P238 (.380 ACP) and after a few hundred rounds I was still not all that happy with the trigger. I had the smith at my gun club take a look at it. He did a basic run through and polished some pieces/parts. It cost me about $50 but what I got back was a different pistol.

The trigger is smooth as glass, still has the stock pull but it is very smooth and breaks clean.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I've got a bunch of 9mm handguns. Some larger some CCW worthy.

I've also been looking for something for the wife recently and I really like the Sig P250 compact model.

I've also been thinking about a S&W shield (don't like the manual safety though) or an XDs for myself as a CCW to replace my PX4 compact.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm partial to the S&W M&P line, I have 5 of them. The 9mm Pro and 9C are both awesome pistols.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts