JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Twice now when off roading on of near rocks I have bent the drag link! The first time we hit some small water melon sized rocks on the trail at a little speed and after the steering wheel was off by about 1/4 turn. This of course set off the ESP as it kept trying to engage until it went into fault mode. The second time the rocks were smaller but in a small pile. My wife was trying to ascend a hill and gave it a little momentum to get up. The Dealer says it is not covered under warranty because "We took the Rubicon Jeep Off Raod"!

Is there an after market Drag Link that is stronger? Our jeep is almost stock, it has a 2.5" BB Lift.

·
Openly Hostile
6,982 Posts
Twice now when off roading on of near rocks I have bent the drag link! The first time we hit some small water melon sized rocks on the trail at a little speed and after the steering wheel was off by about 1/4 turn. This of course set off the ESP as it kept trying to engage until it went into fault mode. The second time the rocks were smaller but in a small pile. My wife was trying to ascend a hill and gave it a little momentum to get up. The Dealer says it is not covered under warranty because "We took the Rubicon Jeep Off Raod"!

Is there an after market Drag Link that is stronger? Our jeep is almost stock, it has a 2.5" BB Lift.
http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Poly-Performance-Jeep-JK-Chromoly-Tie-Rod-p-16403.html

Rock Krawler makes one also, but it doesn't have an adjustment sleeve so you have to take one of the ends off the knuckle to adjust it...which seems like it would be a serious PITA.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Rubicon Express makes a great one as well. I am surprised that you are hitting it and not beating the crap out of the tierod, since it is a little further back and higher than the tierod is. The reason(s) that I really lke the RE unit is that it relocates the mounting location to the top of the knuckle, and it is adjutable without removing it, and super strong.

My Shrockworks (bumper) skid plate also protects it for the most part. I have hit that skid pretty hard and it shows no weakness or dents whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Poly Performance

http://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Poly-Performance-Jeep-JK-Chromoly-Tie-Rod-p-16403.html

Rock Krawler makes one also, but it doesn't have an adjustment sleeve so you have to take one of the ends off the knuckle to adjust it...which seems like it would be a serious PITA.
"Poly Performance Jeep JK Chromoly Tie Rod" This looks good, but it is a tie rod. It is my drag link that is bent. I saw one on the Poly Performance web site, but it said it was for more than a 4" lift.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not hitting it

Rubicon Express makes a great one as well. I am surprised that you are hitting it and not beating the crap out of the tierod, since it is a little further back and higher than the tierod is. The reason(s) that I really lke the RE unit is that it relocates the mounting location to the top of the knuckle, and it is adjutable without removing it, and super strong.

My Shrockworks (bumper) skid plate also protects it for the most part. I have hit that skid pretty hard and it shows no weakness or dents whatsoever.
I do not think it is being hit. Just bending easily when the system is stressed from the extra force when in rough going. Why they thought is was a good idea to make it with a bend in it is beyond me!

I like Rubicon Express. According to the dealer, Rubicon Express makes the only 4" lift you can install with out affecting the factory warranty. This was from the sales dept.... While the service dept was telling me they have to replace the dented skid plates before they could even look at the front end... :shaking:

·
Openly Hostile
6,982 Posts
"Poly Performance Jeep JK Chromoly Tie Rod" This looks good, but it is a tie rod. It is my drag link that is bent. I saw one on the Poly Performance web site, but it said it was for more than a 4" lift.

Thanks
I copied the link for the wrong part, sorry about that. :shaking:

I am pretty sure that when you use their drag link you have to use their bracket for the trackbar as well so that the track bar is raised. If you are interested in it at all, I'd give PIG a call and talk to him.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
drag link

I copied the link for the wrong part, sorry about that. :shaking:

I am pretty sure that when you use their drag link you have to use their bracket for the trackbar as well so that the track bar is raised. If you are interested in it at all, I'd give PIG a call and talk to him.
Thanks - I know that the drag link and the track bar MUST maintain the same angles to prevent bump steer. I'm still looking into the options. I have a skinny wallet right now so any costly upgrades will have to be next year.

·
Registered
8,652 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
tie rod

the rockrawler drag link is adjustable with out removing it but the tie rod requires you remove one end to adjust it but you need at least 3 inch lift

I only have 2.5" of lift. So far the Tie Rod has been OK.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
FWIW When I had a factory drag link it would get slightly bent every time I went wheeling. I just lived with adjusting it, until I swapped in the Poly drag link, but that is not just a simply swap.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
When I comes time I will give the guys at Bulletproof Steering a call; I run them on my Bronco and have never had and issue. They can bend the tube to match or clear anything. They run tubing to 1.5" x .5 wall. I think they still offer a Lifetime warranty on their extreme joints.

www.bulletproofsteering.com

·
Openly Hostile
6,982 Posts
When I comes time I will give the guys at Bulletproof Steering a call; I run them on my Bronco and have never had and issue. They can bend the tube to match or clear anything. They run tubing to 1.5" x .5 wall. I think they still offer a Lifetime warranty on their extreme joints.

www.bulletproofsteering.com
Wow, that is one horrific website. Aside from that, very interesting.

I am not familiar with these used in steering....

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
WOW

That sure looks stronger than the factory setup! Any idea on the pricing?:grinpimp:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I spent $500 on a drag link and tierod with the Extreme ends. Yes, the site is a little primative, but there stuff is top quality. I sent their tech support if they have had any interest in the JK market. I'll post when I here something.

·
Premium Member
1,453 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
pricing

They don't have one listed for the JK yet...woudl have to call and get some pricing.

Ok no rush, It will most likley have to wait until after Christmas is over. I'll bee needing to spend my $ on the kids toys before I can spend it on my toys..... :bounce:

·
Registered
592 Posts
You can use our (Poly Performance) draglink without flipping it. It will just replace the stock draglink easily.

·
Registered
274 Posts
You can use our (Poly Performance) draglink without flipping it. It will just replace the stock draglink easily.
Really? So you can use the high steer drag link in the stock position without reaming the knuckle or using the trackbar bracket? Sweet!! :beer:

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
The guy's from bulletproof responded to my e-mail and said they have done a couple of JK's but they were custom to order and each was different. They can make what you need but they'll need pics and dimensions. I copied the thread address to my e-mail maybe they'll chime in. I did this for my Bronco when it comes time I'll do it for the JK.

·
Registered
1,304 Posts

that looks like it would be a strong set-up, but it would put the draglink at a horrible angle, and it would also lower the roll-center of your jeep, which would be a bad thing with a lift.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts