JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So about a year ago I bent my rear axle shaft. The sad thing is I really did not notice until recently. I guess I am a little slow. I took it apart this weekend and sure enough you can see the caliper moving in and out. The other side is rock solid.

With all that said who makes good replacement shafts? I see superior makes chomo shafts but i am not sure what strength and 10 factory makes manganese 1541H which I read is only a little stronger than stock. I want something that will resist bending in the future.

If it gets too expensive I could always go the route of a rear 60 with an ARB. I guess it depends on how much my rear would be worth. (after replacing the shaft) Hmmmm.

·
Administrator
8,750 Posts
So about a year ago I bent my rear axle shaft. The sad thing is I really did not notice until recently. I guess I am a little slow. I took it apart this weekend and sure enough you can see the caliper moving in and out. The other side is rock solid.

With all that said who makes good replacement shafts? I see superior makes chomo shafts but i am not sure what strength and 10 factory makes manganese 1541H which I read is only a little stronger than stock. I want something that will resist bending in the future.

If it gets too expensive I could always go the route of a rear 60 with an ARB. I guess it depends on how much my rear would be worth. (after replacing the shaft) Hmmmm.
You would have to get a shaft made out of unobtanium for it to cost enough to justify as that being the reason to ditch it and go with a 60..lol

I would just get a set of Co-Mos and be done with it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You would have to get a shaft made out of unobtanium for it to cost enough to justify as that being the reason to ditch it and go with a 60..lol

I would just get a set of Co-Mos and be done with it.
Lol. I can really inflate prices to make it look close but you are right. I don't see a 60 in my near future. I was just wondering on experiences with any particular brand vs. the other.

my math makes a 60 look doable. ;)
$3000 for a 60 (rounding in my favor)
-1500 after selling my rear
$1500 total 60 cost (again rounding in my favor)

Vs.
500 for cromo shafts and bearings
200 for misc install parts
50 for press time
(I would do it myself but lets throw labor in there)
250 for labor.

so the 60 is only 500 more. :D

Yeah that is government math right there if I have ever seen it.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Definitely some rounded up goverment math. Once you spend $500 for the complete shafts you are good to go. You can get them with bearing, races and everything ready to install, so you don't need any other misc parts. It can be done in about about two hours in your drive. Very simple install.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
They all bend and break.

Chromoly D44 shaft. One of several I bent before going to D60s.
D44.JPG

Currie Chromoly 35sp D60 shaft. Twisted splines and bent in the middle this weekend.
d60 (Medium).jpg

The correct statement is "you are less likely to break axles with a 60".

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice!

Fair enough I think just about anything will get me by. I don't remember what exactly bent it along the trail but I will get some on order as soon as my front Dynatrac housing and RCV's get installed. It's just money right?

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Sounds like you bent a flange. I did that on my first wheeling run after going 37". You could see my brake cal moving from side to side. I went cro-mo and haven't had any issues. But like DD said, you are less likley to bend / bust a D60. Maybe I can do that project next year...

·
Registered
340 Posts
currie super 60, 40 spline rear and 35spline front. maybe that is overkill but that is what i did after breaking my rear chromoly and front rcv in consecutive trips. I said the heck with my 44's. they just weren't going to hold up. I was tired of limping on the trail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts