JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay here is a serious question,which requires serious replies only!......PLEASE.!

I have seen on numerous threads that people with Dana 30's up front are bending their axels when running 35 inch tires. IS THIS TRUE????

I have a 2009 2 dr x and i am wanting to run 35's but since i have read numerous times then i dont relly want to bend or break an axle.

Living in florida i wont be doing any hard core rock crawling, just mudding,the beach, and trails. And of course jeep beach and jeeptober fest. So will my axle be fine with 35's or should i look at upgrading or what??

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
The tubes are more prone to twisting than actually bending, but I've seen a couple bend at the differential. It's a minority that will see this ever happen imo.

Much will depend on your driving style. If you like to 3-wheel and slam wheels to the ground, then any axle (and it's components) will be more subject to failure. If you avoid the skinny and wheel with finesse in most situations, then you should be okay. I feel that with a D30, that your real "weak-link" is your ring & pinion.....but again, a lot depends on your style of driving.

I wouldn't worry as much about the tubes as I would about the outer C's. These are much more prone to bending with 35"+ tires and the off-set of some aftermarket wheels. I would no matter what- gusset the C's, and if you are concerned then you can always add a sleeve kit and/or truss.

JMO

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
2 JKs in my club bent the tubes on their D30s this spring during the same run at Pismo. They were not jumping or getting the front axle off the ground. I believe they bent their tubes while going through whoops or hitting the base of a dune hard enough to hit the bumpstops.

Although D30s seem adequately able to handle 35s in some circumstances, I do not believe they hold up well to high-speed off-road driving.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
The tire size has little to do with bending, what you do because you are running a tire size is what bends them :laughing:

Like mentioned before, the C's are an item to pay attention to first.

if you are carefull off-road you can make anything live for a while, if you drive by braile then gusst/sleeve/truss like I did.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
I wouldn't worry as much about the tubes as I would about the outer C's. These are much more prone to bending with 35"+ tires and the off-set of some aftermarket wheels. I would no matter what- gusset the C's, and if you are concerned then you can always add a sleeve kit and/or truss.

JMO
I would disagree.... I have seen WAY more issues with the tubes bending than inner C's.

Bubba, here are 2 links that should help you out.

Inner Axle Sleeves
C Gussets

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
I would disagree.... I have seen WAY more issues with the tubes bending than inner C's.

Inner Axle Sleeves
C Gussets
And I have seen more bent C's than tubes. Not disagreeing with the expert.......just suggesting that gusseting the C's would be my personal priority with 35"+ tires and aftermarket rims.

I've seen several JK's with bent C's that haven't even wheeled that hard or that often (with tubes that don't appear to be bent in the least).

JMO

·
Registered
3,349 Posts

Inner Axle Sleeves
C Gussets
I 2nd this..I have the tubes and upper/lower C Gussets on mine...from Poly...But I've done some other things as well..I also have a d44 rather than a D30...But I feel my comparison is about the same...

Your going 35's w/ a D30. I went 40's w/ a D44.

I'm pretty sure the housing is the only difference...the outer C's and Tube is the same with a D30 as a D44.

You can run some sort of a truss across the top of your axle, this will eliminate the smiley face bend some get with Axles

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts