JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i used duplicolor bedarmor and didn't prep the tub good enough and now its peeling and I need to get it out. Does anyone have any tips from removing the bedliner from my tub? Thanks in advance..:beer:

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Oh, shit!!!! If it's freshly applied Zylene thinner may soften it enough to scrape it out of there. The Zylene stink will likely put you in the morgue. Might want to just peel out the bits that aren't adhering well and try a patch, then a top coat over the whole thing. I'm not a big fan of that Duplicolor bedliner. It seems pretty soft. I used it in the tub of my '76 CJ5 resto and it's not been as durable as Durabak, Herculiner, etc.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I put it in last fall i just cant take it anymore it makes my jeep look like a POS. I dont want to repair like you said that duplicolor stuff is soft. You can just pick the chunks of kevlar out of it.

I shoulda known the stuff was junk when it took two weeks to dry ha.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
go buy some aircraft part cleaner. That shit will eat everything including the paint underneath. Let it bubble use a plastic scraper, hose out and your done.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok sounds good i have some of that laying around from another project. i was thinking maybe a wire wheel i dunno how huge of a mess I would have?

This sucks im ready to torch the jeep and start over :pissed:

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yeah I had to wire wheel mine out on a Samurai project. Nothing seemed to get it the way I wanted it removed. Wasn't as messy as you would think.

In spots I couldn't remove the old bed liner I just went over it with the new stuff.

I used this stuff and it worked great! made from rubber so it has sound deadening properties also. And it comes in colors other than black. I used gray for my silver Samurai.

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/[url]http://www.nonslipcoating.com/[/URL]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I had to wire wheel mine out on a Samurai project. Nothing seemed to get it the way I wanted it removed. Wasn't as messy as you would think.

In spots I couldn't remove the old bed liner I just went over it with the new stuff.

I used this stuff and it worked great! made from rubber so it has sound deadening properties also. And it comes in colors other than black. I used gray for my silver Samurai.

http://www.nonslipcoating.com/[url]http://www.nonslipcoating.com/[/URL]
So how good was it? Im looking for something durable that I dont have to have professionally sprayed. The duplicolor bed armor is super crappy it just peels off with no effort even the standard duplicolor I did my fenders in will chip off with a screwdriver and minimal effort.

Will the Durabak wear off in the wheel wells were your feet rub? Thanks

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
So how good was it? Im looking for something durable that I dont have to have professionally sprayed. The duplicolor bed armor is super crappy it just peels off with no effort even the standard duplicolor I did my fenders in will chip off with a screwdriver and minimal effort.

Will the Durabak wear off in the wheel wells were your feet rub? Thanks
I have had the Durabak in my Sami for over 6 years and you can't tell I put anything in it to include quad tires, spare tires, tools, etc...

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I might just try this out then. I was thinking of using the raptor but ill look into this more did you spray this on or roll on?

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
FWIW, I did the tub of my former YJ in Durabak and 7 years later it looked the same as when I applied it. Never peeled or scratched off anywhere. Spraying it on is best, but I used their dedicated foam rollers, which worked great. It's a dedicated textured roller that has large enough holes to evenly spread the granules. I tried paint store textured rollers with that stuff and they didn't work nearly as well. If you decide to go with Durabak be sure & buy extra rollers. They don't clean up well and will be useless if left overnight. The stuff is Zylene based and stinks to high heaven for about 4 days. Be sure it's warm outside and that you have a place to let it air out

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Question to the op...you mention you didn't prep enough did you not sand everything first?

·
Registered
803 Posts
The stuff is Zylene based and stinks to high heaven for about 4 days. Be sure it's warm outside and that you have a place to let it air out
Didn't know they make stuff based on diet pills :laughing:
I think you meant to write Xylene

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Question to the op...you mention you didn't prep enough did you not sand everything first?
Ya I rushed into it and bought the fanciest looking box at the parts store and just ripped it open and went to town. I sanded most of the tub with the included scotchbright pad, but ADD kicked in and I was ready to roll it on and just started without really getting it all sanded good and even missed half of what needed sanded. Needless to say that wasnt a very smart idea.

·
Registered
2,135 Posts
Ah we all make mistakes I'm planning a full 3-4 days to do my Monstaliner is why I ask.,..well when you get all cleaned up atleast you can start over

1 - 17 of 17 Posts