JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I plan on bed-lining my 12 JKU interior and I have some Questions before I start. Did anyone else leave the factory foam/sound deadener in and bed-line over it. I would like to leave it since it should supply some insulation, but I'm worried about adhesion to the material. Anyone leave the factory floor goop in before they bed-line?

·
Registered
646 Posts
I was kinda curious too. I didn't see the point other than visual appeal to removing the factory stuff. The look of it doesn't bother me so I was thinking of spraying over it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah seems like alot more work. I'm hoping someone has pictures or something.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I had mine Rhinolined several years ago and did not scrape out the sound deadener/insulation. I think it looks fine and I haven't had any issues with it. I've heard some say that they took it out for a cleaner look and others say they took it out because they were worried about it taking up moisture underneath the liner. The material is very hard and as long as you do a good job with the lining, moisture seems like a non issue to me - I haven't had any issues anyways.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
. . . and others say they took it out because they were worried about it taking up moisture underneath the liner. The material is very hard and as long as you do a good job with the lining, moisture seems like a non issue to me - I haven't had any issues anyways.
Some have found pre-existing rust (evidence of moisture incursion) under the factory sound deadener. Thus the concern. Just covering over rust will not arrest the decay; it has to be removed or chemically converted to an inert state such as with a product like P.O.R. 15, or Rustoleum Rust Reformer.

Removing the deadener gives the opportunity for inspection and correction prior to covering over a cancer that will otherwise eventually rot through your floorboard. The bonus is that it looks better as well. If you are concerned about insulation (sound or heat) there are products like Lizard Skin that can be applied to the underside of the floorboard as that insulation proves necessary.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I'am having my 2016 JKU tub LineX next week and I'am leaving the sound deadening material on the floor. I have noticed on my it is different than some previous models that look like rolls of goop. My is flat and looks seemingly unnoticeable, unlike others I have seen.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts