JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got tired of lookin at the chips on my hinges. Sanded em down and bedlined them today. I think it looks good on the D-Yellow.

·
Premium Member
15,330 Posts
Looks like a good job......plus they look really nice against the yellow. :beer:

"Way Out Here" :beer:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I like that look. How much of the body side hinge did you do, the whole thing or just what's visible from the outside of the jeep?

·
Registered
491 Posts
do the hood hinges too so they match.

looks good!:beer:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I like that look. How much of the body side hinge did you do, the whole thing or just what's visible from the outside of the jeep?
Did the whole body mount hinges. Painted the 13mm bolts satin black. Looks nice.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks good. :beer: Did mine this weekend as well. Still need to hit the hood hinges also. I spent the last of my can doing the tub's retainer lip.

Gotta say, after looking back on yours, the yellow definitely looks better....:beer::beer:
Looks sweet on silver also. I really dig your door handles. Nice touch. Sometimes the little things make a huge difference in appearance.:beer:

·
Registered
931 Posts
loooks really good with the silver and d-yellow. have been thinking about doing mine but not really sure how hard it is to get the hinges off and if it would look good against the steel blue. :beer:

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
loooks really good with the silver and d-yellow. have been thinking about doing mine but not really sure how hard it is to get the hinges off and if it would look good against the steel blue. :beer:
Not hard at all. Just time consuming.

Products used.
1. Rust-Oleum truck bed coating
2. Rust-Oleum pro primer
3. 220 grit sand paper
4. Dewalt palm sander
5. rubber mallot
6. 3/8 drive ratchet w torx head and 13mm socket
7. Razor blade

Steps to do it yourself.
1. Remove doors
2. Take a razor blade and go around the edge of the hinges. (They're painted on the doors at the factory so you don't want to chance the paint chipping on the door.)
3. Remove hinges with a ratchet and torx head. It will take a little elbow grease. These things are tight. I also marked them on the back side so they would go back on the same door and same location. Tap with rubber mallot if stuck to the door after screws are removed. (Had to do this to two of them)
4. Remove the body hinges with 13mm socket. I marked their location on the backside also.
5. Sand the painted surface of each hinge and sand all nicks and chips untill smooth.
6. Wipe parts down with a clean rag and primer the exposed surfaces.
7. Primer all bolt heads. I used a piece of cardboard and punched holes in it with the boltheads left exposed.
8. Wait about 45 min or untill the primer is dry to the touch (This can vary due to temp) then your ready to spray the bedliner. Make nice even strokes and cover all exposed surfaces.
9. When dry reassemble the parts to the marked locations on the doors and body. They're easy to realign due to the lack of paint behind the hinges.
10. Touch up inside of torx heads with a small brush where you had to re-torque them back onto the doors.
11. Re-hang your doors and check allignment before slamming them as a precaution.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I did mine on steel blue, and I like it I will post pics up when I get home today. I doesn't pop out like on the yellow and silver but once you notice it, it looks good. I only did my doors and now when I look at my hood hinges they just look stupid, like they are supposed to be black.

·
Registered
931 Posts
will definatley have to do this pretty soon. its funny how when you paint one thing you just HAVE to paint everything. :bounce::beer:

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
Looks great! This has been on my eventual to-do list, my hinges are discolored and beginning to chip.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Looks sweet on silver also. I really dig your door handles. Nice touch. Sometimes the little things make a huge difference in appearance.:beer:
Thanks, though if I had the $$$, I'd have a set of billet handles made and melonited for the ultimate durability. I just like the looks of them from the Lower 40 obviously.

*Momentary Hijack*

For those who are scratching their heads, Melonite or QPQ is a process we use on some of our barrels and the Dynacomp Muzzle Breaks @ Spike's Tactical.

I've actually been thinking about contacting Jeremy @ RK about testing a set of control arms and coils that have been treated for wear, fatique, and corrosion.

Here is a bit more detail on the process: http://www.burlingtoneng.com/wear_resistance.html

·
Registered
931 Posts
when you guys paint the hinges, especially the interior hinges where the doors go into. when you put them back on, are you putting anything back between the hinge and the metal? i was looking at it today and it looks like there might be some kind of goo or substance that is there at the moment. or are you guys just painting them and sticking them back on? i would like to cover all of my bases before i take of the hinges and do all the work. just in case i need to purchase something else. just got me some primer and some rustoleum textured paint tonight. hoping to get this started tomarrow so i can let it cure in this hot weather we are having. :beer:

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
when you guys paint the hinges, especially the interior hinges where the doors go into. when you put them back on, are you putting anything back between the hinge and the metal? i was looking at it today and it looks like there might be some kind of goo or substance that is there at the moment. or are you guys just painting them and sticking them back on? i would like to cover all of my bases before i take of the hinges and do all the work. just in case i need to purchase something else. just got me some primer and some rustoleum textured paint tonight. hoping to get this started tomarrow so i can let it cure in this hot weather we are having. :beer:
There's nothing behind the interior hinges , used a pencil to mark where they go back to , so lining them back up would be easier

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No goo behind the hinges. I did wipe the surface clean before reinstalling both the door and body hinges.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I did mine a few weeks back, an afternoon job but really changes the look of the jeep. SHould have come factory like that!!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts