JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I switched to Rubicon rock rails about a month ago. Since then I noticed my hinges were taking a bit of an ass kicking from rocks. So I decided to bedline them.

Taking them off was a piece of cake. On the drivers side I sliced with a razor blade around the hinge. Waste of time and in my impatience I sliced past the hinge a couple times. For the passenger side I just undid the bolts and pulled them off. No damage to paint whatsoever.

Ever want to see what is under the hinges of a one year old JK? It isnt paint :mad:

That is the side I pulled them right off of. It does look like Jeep uses some sort of glue to maybe place them there while to robot screws it in. It certainly isnt strong.

So I then took the hinges and sandblasted them. You could hand sand them also I imagine.

Then it was simply a matter of painting them and remounting them. I put 3 coats on them and let them cure for 2 days to harden. Kind of sucked as this morning is was +4 C lol. There is no need for rust paint as they are aluminum.

You can see I masked off the hinge pin.

Mounting them back to the Jeep was easy as it is not hard to see EXACTLY where Jeep had em originally due to the lack of paint under them. My doors close fine now.

And here they are mounted:

In some of the pics you can see some copper looking stuff between the hinges. That is the anti seize I run on my pins so they come off easier. The doors open and close no problem without messing up the hinge finish. If you look closely at your hinges you will see there is some sort of "spacer" between them.
All in all is was an easy mod and I think it looks pretty good. I am considering doing my hood hinges now.
One more thing......If you lose one of the Torx outside door screws, your dealer will sell you one for $20 US!!! For one farking bolt.:eek2:....aluminum is apparently pricey lol...

If anyone has any questions feel free to post in here or PM it...I will answer you as best I can.

DISCLAIMER: IF FOR SOME REASON YOU TAKE HALF THE PAINT OFF OF YOUR DOOR TAKING THE HINGE OFF> IT ISNT MY FAULT:naw:

...but like I said, they came off easy for me.....

· Registered
258 Posts
I like the look; i'm not currently having your past problem, but i'm all over this mod! Did you take it to a Line X/Rhino Liner place or did you use stuff from the auto part place?

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I like the look; i'm not currently having your past problem, but i'm all over this mod! Did you take it to a Line X/Rhino Liner place or did you use stuff from the auto part place?
Good old rattle can Duplicolour....Linex here in my town is ridiculously expensive...it holds up well and I can always touch it up...:bounce:

· Registered
35 Posts
Mine are starting to show signs of rust. I was gonna go and b¶tch at the dealer but I think I'll fix it myself with this mod, It'll probably last longer than anything the dealer would do.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine are starting to show signs of rust. I was gonna go and b¶tch at the dealer but I think I'll fix it myself with this mod, It'll probably last longer than anything the dealer would do.
Ya there isnt any steel in the hinge or the screws. Maybe the screw that holds the door to the hinge? I tossed mine a while ago though after taking them outto take the doors off. Also there seems to be some sort of metal like washer at the top of where the pins go in. Mine were starting to peel away, I dont think you would see rust there though.
And lastly, when I use Copper Anti Sieze it tends to bleed out a bit. Maybe whatever grease you have in there is rust coloured?

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks great. Blends nicely with the other black accents.

As for rust I thought I read somewhere that one half of the hinge was steel or maybe it was the pin. Hell, I can't remember.
Dont think so the body side MAYBE, but doubtful. I will keep an eye on it though. The pins also a big maybe, but i have kept them up with anti seize since day one so I dont know.

· Registered
336 Posts
Did you just use the spray can bed liner stuff or what? I'm thinking about doing doing something like this and maybe hitting a few other place and wondered what you used?

thanks...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.