JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone used Bed Liner spray (Line-x or do it yourself brands) on their rock sliders? (yes, I've done a search)
I'm no doubt going with the ACE Rock Sliders, and have seen some post that they put anti-slip tape on the top for better grip when stepping on them, but was thinking a bed-liner spray would be a good alternative to tape.

My main concern is better grip (particularly for my GF) when using tube-type rock sliders as steps.

Thanks!

· Registered
9,133 Posts
Having scuffed the crap out of my sliders I am real glad that I did not have them bedlined... I am thinking that it would be a pain to have them touched up.

I just grind down the gouges and repaint with rattle can.

The anti slip tape is a good idea...

· Registered
81 Posts
I vote rattle can bed liner or just spray paint. It will wear off quickly due to climbing in and out, and pivoting on rocks so no need to spend $100+ on line-x.

When I repaint mine i'm adding grip tape to where you will be stepping.

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ya, as tough as bed liner is, I suppose nothing would hold up to the rocks on the bottom side. Makes sense (and less expensive) to apply some grip tape.

So what's the best anti-slip tape? (best adhesion for this type of application)
First place I'd look would be to 3M, but real-world JK experience would be appreciated!

· V8 dreams
3,579 Posts
the rustoleum truck bed coating spray is fairly rough, but with the angle of my sliders there's no way i could use as a step. but it will rip skin off the back of your leg if you slide outta your seat and don't have pants on...

...don't ask:gluging:

· Registered
1,088 Posts
If you have a West Marine nearby, get the marine quality anti slip tape, it is durable and should hold up in the worst conditions (made for salt water exposure).

· Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the rustoleum truck bed coating spray is fairly rough, but with the angle of my sliders there's no way i could use as a step. but it will rip skin off the back of your leg if you slide outta your seat and don't have pants on...

Hmmm, something to consider. While the stock Jeep Sahara steps have to go (before they get ripped off by some desert rocks) they don't rip any skin...

No, I won't ask how you know....

· Registered
729 Posts
Use the spray on bedliner and sprinkle a little sand on it before it dries.

· Registered
150 Posts
I used a type of spray on called raptor liner. Havn't had a change to drag it over anything serious yet to see how it will hold up but so for its done good for normal daily abuse. I sprayed all my armor with rustuleum bed liner first but it would never come clean.

· Registered
150 Posts

My wife knows this too well. Also why I went with the raptor liner, its pretty smooth. I need to keep the guardian to my jeep funds happy.

· Registered
546 Posts
I used Dupli-Color spray-on bedliner on my DIY Rubicon rails. Dupli-Color isn't as thick as other bedliner and can be purchased in rattle cans at your local parts store.

· Registered
1,693 Posts
I used a type of spray on called raptor liner. Havn't had a change to drag it over anything serious yet to see how it will hold up but so for its done good for normal daily abuse. I sprayed all my armor with rustuleum bed liner first but it would never come clean.
Use the spray on bedliner and sprinkle a little sand on it before it dries.
That's the problem IMO with the Rustoleum product and sprinkling sand or other texture material over paint -- its too abrasive. You can literally scrape the skin off body parts, and the only way to clean it is to work on it with a scrub brush.

I used Rustoleum texture black on my tube fenders and it has just the right amount of texture to give grip and hide minor imperfections without being so tough on skin or difficult to clean. Another trick I heard of but haven't tried is to spray on a final coat or two of semi-gloss over the bedliner to make it less abrasive. But that just seems like too much work, but during the initial application and touch-up.

The best solution would be rails that are dimpled like Jam's so you don't have to rely on a coating for traction. But the Raptor Liner looks really nice.

I've been putting off bedlining the inside of the Jeep because I'm not sure what product to use. Line-X costs too much IMO and I was torn between a roll-on product like Monstaliner and spray-on Raptor Liner. I'd like to see both up close.

· Registered
150 Posts
The kit I used comes with 4 bottles. I used 3 bottles, probably over kill, for my rails armor and front bumper. A kit with a spray gun costs around 110 online. You can also purchase a tintable kit if you want to color match your interior. I also use duplicolor bed paintable armor on different areas. I used it in my wheel wells and pinch seams. Its easier to just paint it on then spray something which requires a lot of masking, plus touch up is a breeze.

· Registered
421 Posts
I did the top of mine in Line X but left the bottom so I could touch them up with a rattle can.
This is what I did as well, except I went Rhino linings instead - it is a little more rubbery than Line X. It has worked well for me.

· Registered
1,146 Posts
I used Dupli-Color spray-on bedliner on my DIY Rubicon rails. Dupli-Color isn't as thick as other bedliner and can be purchased in rattle cans at your local parts store.

X2 - I use Dupli-Color on my RS-E rock sliders, I primed them first with 3 coats, then gave them 4 or 5 coats of Dupli-Color, they came out great and you can touch them up if the get scratched. Great textured look and cost effective.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.