JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was thinking of bedlining my fender flares they are painted and scratch way to easily. Thought bedliner would be more durable and look better to. If anyone has pictures of theres done that would be a big help for me to decide what to do. Thanks.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i'm thinking about doing mine as well, as i don't have the cash flow to get some new tube fenders or anything like that. i think it'd look sharp and make them look brand new again. go for it and let me know lol :beer:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hopefully someone that has actually done this will post, but in the meantime, here are my thoughts.

I don't think its going to stick to the plastic very well, at least not for any long period of time, and especially if you run through brush etc. I have a Sahara, when my painted flares started getting scratched I sold them and bought the black flares (Craigslist) that come on Rubicons and X's/Sports, the color contrast looks much better and the textured plastic doesn't show scratches. I actually made a small profit doing the switch, the right person will pay good money for your painted flares if you haven't sratched them too bad yet.

Also, if you ever damage a flare, it wouldn't be nearly as hard to find a single black flare as it would be to find a single painted flare to re-bedline.

If you do bedline them, post pics. I personally haven't seen this done yet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like the idea of selling them and buying used regular flares, but that bed liner is some strong stuff if surface is preped properly. I think if paint sticks to fender flairs the bed liner should have no problem. Not sure what to do but ill be sure to post some pics when i decide.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
The guys I know that bedlined their fenders and bumpers that play in the rocks a lot regret it. It looks like crap after the rocks peel it off, and still bad after trying to touch up the bare spots. It is also really hard to clean because dirt/grime likes to stay in the voids. I would not bedline anything you plan on contacting rocks with. On everything else, it looks good.

·
Registered
931 Posts
i would think that if you sanded the fenders enough it will stick just fine. as far as it scraping off when you're wheelin', that would be a no brainer if you ask me. but like everything else you bed line, you can always touch it up. won't hurt to try it out. worst case senario, you can pick up a new set of oem fenders in the for sale section. :bounce::beer:

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
I play in the rocks and herculined front and rear flares. The only thing that flaked off was when I ran the front passenger into a big rock and it rubbed all the way through the flare. That is the only spot that is missing. On my rear passenger flare I bashed into a rock twice and have two dents in the flare but nothing flaked off. I didn't sand them or nothing just wiped them down with acetone to clean them a little.

Post #17 in this thread. This was taken Jan 31st.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50445

·
Registered
414 Posts
Seems to me you could find a set of stock Rubi fenders for the cost of Line-X'ing your fenders. If you're thinking of rattle can bedliner I don't think you'll be happy in the long run. Stock Rubi fenders can be had pretty cheaply

1 - 13 of 13 Posts