JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK. I'm running some 37 inch MTR Kevlars on AEV Beadlocks. I've got about 30k miles on this setup.

In the last couple of months, whenever the outside temp drops below 20-25 degrees one of the tires drops it's pressure to about 20 PSI, just enough to trigger the TPMS light.

I'll give it a shot of air, and it's good for the day, but if the temp drops overnight, it's back down to 20 PSI. If it stays warm, it's fine. I've had to refill about 20 times in the last couple of months, and it's definitely the cold causing it.

I routinely check to torque on the beadlock bolts. I've sprayed all over with soapy water in the cold trying to find a leak, without success. I've checked and re-seated the valves.

I'm sure if I remove all of the bolts and re-seat the bead, that it'll be fine again. I'm just wondering if anyone has noticed anything similar.

·
Premium Member
1,147 Posts
What pressure do you normally run them at?

Rubber starts to harden below certain temps, which is why summer only tires get very little traction in the cold, even when the roads are dry. If your tires become harder, less elastic, they won't be "pushing back" against the clamping force of the lock rings as much. Could be what's happening. Though if you've re-torqued the bolts when it was cold I would think it would have helped.

On equipment I work on I've seen hoses start seeping at the clamps when the temperature drops far enough.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I usually run about 30 in the front where I'm having the problem.

I could go for weeks without losing any air, then as soon as it would get cold, I'd be greeted with the warning light. A small change in pressure due to ambient temp is not what I'm seeing, as I have to keep adding air.

Now that warmer weather is here, I'll probably not need to worry about it for a while. Just thought it was a bit of an oddity

·
Super Moderator
6,233 Posts
not as likely with outer beadlocks , but have you considered possibly having some particulate matter in between the wheel and bead that might be causing slow leaks after you were offroad and aired down? Just a thought. Turning in deep mud when aired down can allow cr*p to gather in between the bead and wheel but in your case that would likely be the inner bead and I am not sure that is as regular an occurrence as , say, on outer bead of non-beadlock wheel/tire combos. Just trying to think along with ya.....

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just complaining about this again in case someone else has a similar issue. It got cold last week. Pressure in one tire dropped from 30 to 19 pounds and another from 30 to 24. Aired them up, and 4 hours later they are back to 19 and 24 pounds respectively..... weird.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts