JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So through my discussions in this forum I am going with bead locks and would like to know what experiences you have had and with what brands. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
I have Hutchinson RockMonsters. No issues with function. The outer rim has gotten some rock rash but nothing bad...I can't see hurting them other than cosmetically. It's solid, doesn't trap mud like the ring type bead locks but...it is a hefty piece of work. Its plus is that it locks both beads.
(I'm a fan of most MFGs contracted by the U.S. govt, the other reason I had no problems forkin' out for the Hutchies.)

There was/is a "new" bead lock that had "easy" tire mounting that I would have considered if I knew about them when I got the Hutchies. They've been mentioned here but I don't remember the name. There was limited availability in sizes and bolt patterns then...don't know where they stand now.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have run Walker Evans with no issues. I'm in the process of switching to 8lug and will be going with trailready HD17s​ based on look, price and the fact they are 100% made in the USA.

Raceline, Hutchinson, ATX are all great brands and highly used in the Jeep and race community. Pick a style you like and have at it.

If it matters I believe Hutchinson are the only DOT approved beadlock - the rest are "off-road use only". With the amount of potholes and construction we have here, It'd be hard to argue our roadways aren't considered off-road. YMMV.

Reactions: [email protected]

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Rock monster wheels are nice but come in 4.5" bs or 5.28" bs for a 8x6.5 lug wheel. You may need to run adapters depending on how much travel your suspension has. Since you don't have your axles yet you can have them made wider to run a long travel suspension without the extra weight of the adapters. I think Dynatrac can do up to a 72" WMS on their axles. I would consider this on any wheel that is 4.5" BS or more. Ideally a 3.0 Bs with 68.5" WMS would be the way to go but you cant find too many bead locks in this back spacing. If I were to do it all over again with new stuff I would go 72" WMS and forged Method bead locks as they are the lightest bead lock I have found.

·
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)
22,098 Posts
I have the raceline RT 233 AL which comes with the aluminum ring. You need to get the spacers from raceline that goes between the beadlock and the wheel. The angle of the bolt without the spacer is not ideal and a lot of bolts break. I have probably gone through about 100 bolts so far. Because I don't want to break the wheels down to put the spacer in.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Trail Ready HD17's here. No issues at all. I have decent rock rash and even across the bolt heads yet they have not come loose at all. I let them go for over a year and several wheeling trips before even checking the torque for the first time.

If I understand things correctly, Trail Ready also manufacture the spacer rings for everyone else that you need to fit the tires with a fatter bead, like MTRs.

The one thing I do wish for is that the rock rings have better coverage of the bolt heads but that has not proven to be an issue other than an aesthetic one. And even then you could always just replace the one scratched bolt.

·
22,098 Posts
Trail Ready HD17's here. No issues at all. I have decent rock rash and even across the bolt heads yet they have not come loose at all. I let them go for over a year and several wheeling trips before even checking the torque for the first time.

If I understand things correctly, Trail Ready also manufacture the spacer rings for everyone else that you need to fit the tires with a fatter bead, like MTRs.

The one thing I do wish for is that the rock rings have better coverage of the bolt heads but that has not proven to be an issue other than an aesthetic one. And even then you could always just replace the one scratched bolt.
Scratched bolt? LOL. My bolt heads are mangled from the rocks.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I run The ATX slabs with 37" Toyo MTs, love em. Have had 2 sets actually.

Thick as hell rock ring with countersunk bolts.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I have run two sets of Raceline 233's. One with a steel ring and now currently with an aluminum ring.

Very happy with the Racelines. They balance well and do what they need to do for me.

The steel vs aluminum is a tradeoff. The steel doesn't get gouged on the rocks as much as just gets scratched...but you have to touch them up or they'll rust. The Aluminum rings won't rust but the rocks sure do a number in them. The Aluminum can really get gouged deep and it can leave sharp pieces.

·
Premium Member
3,720 Posts
I have the raceline RT 233 AL which comes with the aluminum ring. You need to get the spacers from raceline that goes between the beadlock and the wheel. The angle of the bolt without the spacer is not ideal and a lot of bolts break. I have probably gone through about 100 bolts so far. Because I don't want to break the wheels down to put the spacer in.

When you say break the wheel down what do you mean exactly?

All you need to do is let the air out of the tire and then remove the ring(32 bolts, I know) drop in the spacer pieces and then reinstall the ring. When I think of breaking down a wheel I think of removing the tire from the wheel.

·
22,098 Posts
When you say break the wheel down what do you mean exactly?

All you need to do is let the air out of the tire and then remove the ring(32 bolts, I know) drop in the spacer pieces and then reinstall the ring. When I think of breaking down a wheel I think of removing the tire from the wheel.
Yes, I meant just removing the ring. Maybe I just need to buckle down and do it. But then my ocd will kick in and then I will want to Clean the wheel real good then repaint the ring. Then butterfly.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Please feel free to ask about our BAD Wheels... There is a dramatic difference in design concept. DOT compliant, USA made, and maintenance free.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm glad BAD WHEELS spoke up here and he sees this before he buys elsewhere. I just got done reading about your DOT compliant beadlocks and they seem awesome and at a good price. Good Job !

·
Registered
37 Posts
If it matters I believe Hutchinson are the only DOT approved beadlock - the rest are "off-road use only". With the amount of potholes and construction we have here, It'd be hard to argue our roadways aren't considered off-road. YMMV.
Actually, B.A.D. Wheels are fully DOT compliant, completely maintenance free, and 100% made in the USA.

No re-torquing of bolts at all. No fear of losing air, or only being able to hold 25psi of air reliably - you can put our wheel on a Super-duty Ford with load range E tires filled to towing pressures (80psi) without any problem whatsoever.

Use of a Sacrificial Rock Ring eliminates the issues of rock-rash damaging the rim of the wheel as well. Use of a Dynamic Balance Ring does that, plus adds 11oz of dynamic balance to the whee;/tire combination so that you don't have to worry about tire shudder related to balance at any speed.

You also get our B.A.Deflator pre-installed into every B.A.D. Wheel - the quickest way to air down your tires - even quicker than removing the valve stem.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts