JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
874 Posts
I do every chance I get, we have a condo on amelia island so I always drive out on the beach to the southern tip of the island for fishing. Amelia island is aka San Fernandina beach on the atlantic coast of northern florida just above Jacksonville.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Damn!! Thats a nice setup you got there Mitch. Good looking rig to, what size wheels and tires you runnin?

·
Registered
136 Posts
Damn is right! that is one fishing rig to say the least. I like is lots, but more than I would ever need. I just found a nice set up that I would / and will get from Quadratec.....it has 4 rod holders you can mount to your 2 " hitch and will be nice for my needs.

I love to fish and that is a very cool setup....thanks for showing.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I run Island Beach State Park on the Jersey shore.

If you are new to beach driving be sure to air down and go in 4lo. Carry a shovel, strap, and a jack base. Park above the high tide line because you do not ever want to be stuck below the high tide line. Many beaches require beach passes and post requirements and restrictions. Ask the locals for tips.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts

Mine spends alot of time on the beach. 2 days old It made its first trip to the Beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dang thats nice!!!

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I run Island Beach State Park on the Jersey shore.

If you are new to beach driving be sure to air down and go in 4lo. Carry a shovel, strap, and a jack base. Park above the high tide line because you do not ever want to be stuck below the high tide line. Many beaches require beach passes and post requirements and restrictions. Ask the locals for tips.
In the 7 years I've been driving the beaches I've never had to use 4-lo. Not sure what kind of sand you have there...

Airing down is the most important thing for you, and carrying the correct tools like mentioned above. Shovel, strap(no metal ends), and a jack base. Some places require more stuff like a porta-potty. You'll definitely want to carry bug spray for the green flies. You will have to check your local sites for permit info. Up here the biggest tire size they allow is 33x12.50, not that they check... Hopefully not, I'll be switching to 35's this year.... :shitstorm:

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Long Island NY's Fire Island...this one was at Smith Point this past summer...miles of shoreline, great fishing, tons of fun... We get out on the beach there year round.

New Years Day 2012...

my youngest...

my view...

·
Registered
102 Posts
Padre Island National Seashore in Texas...60+ miles of open beach 'till you hit the intercoastal.

Matagorda beach too.

·
Registered
504 Posts
In the 7 years I've been driving the beaches I've never had to use 4-lo. Not sure what kind of sand you have there...

Airing down is the most important thing for you, and carrying the correct tools like mentioned above. Shovel, strap(no metal ends), and a jack base. Some places require more stuff like a porta-potty. You'll definitely want to carry bug spray for the green flies. You will have to check your local sites for permit info. Up here the biggest tire size they allow is 33x12.50, not that they check... Hopefully not, I'll be switching to 35's this year.... :shitstorm:
I have to use 4 low the majority of the time in on the beach. The further down the Texas coast you go thR tougher and softer the beaches are

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
I have to use 4 low the majority of the time in on the beach. The further down the Texas coast you go thR tougher and softer the beaches are

Still surprised at that because in softer sand momentum is your best friend. When you let off the pedal in 4-lo you lose all momentum. Softer sand tells me to just air down more. I'm sure you know what's best for your location. We have one beach the is like a deep sandbox, I still never use 4-lo. If I'm bogging down it just means I didn't air down enough.

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
This is Sore Thumb, this isn't the deep sand, this is the average around here. Gilgo get's real deep though.

My old Jeep...

·
Premium Member
1,397 Posts
You drive to Sore Thumb from Robert Moses parking lot (west end)?
My bad, those were all Democrat Point... Was looking at other pics from Sore Thumb when posting. Should have realized that there weren't a million people sunbathing with their families. Kids in the water while you're trying to fish... lol

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.