JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to decide what I want/need to do when my '12 comes in. I'll be throwing the mopar front bumper and my winch on. My '10 sport sagged like a golden girl with the added weight and I got the RK BB to level me out.

My '12 is a Rubicon and I know the suspension will be better than a sport but Im still considering a little extra. I could get the BB swapped out of my sport and put it in the rubi. But Ive read a lot for and against BB. How much do they affect the ride? Are spring kits good enough to get the little bit extra Id need and how do they compare? Common sense tells me the springs are better.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Rk 2.5 stock mod over bb any day. The added value is when you start putting weight on the Jk(bumpers, winch ect.) the stock springs will not handle it as well as an aftermarket spring. If you want to lift it do it right the first time( if finances allow) and besides I think just swapping out coils is less of a hassle than dealing with the spacers.

Sent from the Island of Misfit Toys

·
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!
8,945 Posts
Okay, I'll chime in since I'm one of the few poor bastages who doesn't have a TF or RK super doopty doo spring/arm kit with an RTI score higher than my annual fuel bill.

The RK 1.75 long travel has not disappointed me. The nice thing about this option over going with springs would be the following:

1.) It's never just springs and maybe a front track bar. It always turns into new shocks, arms, brackets, etc. Now the leveling turned into 2k worth of suspension
2.) New lift starts outing all of the inferior OEM components and makes your weeny rubi tires look smallish and silly. So now you're back at the tire shop spending another 1500 dollars.
3.) Progressive rates aside, most of the linear rate springs are a crap shoot for comfort and sag. Everyone has their own "great" or "crap" stories about companies who still employ linear rates up front and how they sag, etc.

On the plus side of coil lifts:
1.)They perform better if you get the right kit because you have a couple of more turns of steel before you drop out all the way where OEM springs are still the same length and only give you the same travel +spacer puck.
(Side note on that concept - Always in the back of my mind when I drive that there is a piece of urethane holding up the vehicle in four places and they can come apart, a spring will likely never fail in that manner).
2.) You won't be wasting your money on "second" purchases.
3.) You would have the start to an upgraded kit with companies like RK and TF.

I know I won't be doing my lift properly for at least another year or two (or if something were to fail, wink wink) because I like being married and she doesn't like me replacing parts that aren't broken yet... She's sensible, I'm a money spending whore. The RK kit has done its job and the quick discos are nice, a little too nice, I figured out that with a Poly S/S flip kit, disconnected, with stock bumps that the JK will flex more than enough to mush the stabilizer a bit. That shocked me and impressed. That wouldn't be a selling point for you with a Rubi and the E-disco.

Anyways, thought I'd throw my .02 in, Merry Christmas and happy hunting on your lift!:beer:

·
Registered
112 Posts
I went with the TF 2.5 BB on my 2010 sport than transfered it to my 2012 Rubicon. It rides close to stock but for the money of the BB I would buy the 2.5 stock mod by Rk if I were to do it again. I am saving up for the 2.5 Max travel right now. I understand that you already have a 1.75 BB. I would use that until you could justify the coil lift.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you want to lift it do it right the first time( if finances allow) and besides I think just swapping out coils is less of a hassle than dealing with the spacers.
Id agree that new coils are definitely less of a pain. Finances are iffy after buying the new rubi. But I'm all for quality rather than re-doing it.

Okay, I'll chime in since I'm one of the few poor bastages who doesn't have a TF or RK super doopty doo spring/arm kit with an RTI score higher than my annual fuel bill.
That wouldn't be a selling point for you with a Rubi and the E-disco.

Anyways, thought I'd throw my .02 in, Merry Christmas and happy hunting on your lift!:beer:
Yup, Im not looking to go crazy. Just enough to compensate and get a step in a good direction. The e-disco of the rubi will eliminate the added cost of quicks. And your .02 is definitely appreciated. A good vantage point and I'll be re-reading those bullets. :beer:

\ I understand that you already have a 1.75 BB. I would use that until you could justify the coil lift.
Justifying isnt the problem. Doing it "right" is more of my interest , even though I know neither is wrong and both options have helped lots of different people. I could save cost by keeping the BB but I don't know if its the better option.

·
Official Monkey Business
12,215 Posts
Your stock springs ride great right? Go bb and you get more clearance and retain the great ride (BB will ride the same as stock). If you are only going up around 2" then I'd go spacer every time. Springs that render the same lift hight don't make much sense to me, they will do the same thing but cost way more.

Just my .02 worth:beer:<don't touch my f'n beer!

·
Registered
159 Posts
The "better option" is very subjective. In my very little experience I think it's all about what you want the jeep to do for you. Like Texaskev said, if you are happy with the stock ride and only want a couple inches, then stick with a BB. I don't see any reason to ditch perfectly good parts just because.

I want to do a proper lift at some point, but that will be a little while down the road. For me I keep eyeing the BB's because it will get the belly up a bit and make it a little more capable off road which should also hold me over until I can save enough to do a full lift. At that time I can sell the BB and recoup a bit of cash.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
I ran a BB for two years and wheeled it pretty extensively. The ride will alter some, simply due to the change in angle of the control arms in relation to the ground. However that will happen with any lift you do. They worked fine for me until I was ready to change to a spring.

If you can swing it, the RK stock mod is a very good starting point for any rig.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
Depends on longer-term plans. If you're going to be adding any substantial amount of weight, go for the spring lift. If not, stick with a BB.

I have Poly 3-inch springs on my 2-dr - well regarded as the best riding aftermarket springs out there - and my ride bucks and bounces like a lifted CJ5, because I have almost no additional weight on it. I'm no luxury-lovin' nancy, but the ride is severely compromised enough to be a problem on broken concrete and other bad surfaces. Back when she was a fatter pig with and extra 600 lbs it rode great, although it couldn't get out of its own way.

Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The shocks in the Rubicon are better, but the rest of the suspension is the same. Which springs you get are loosely based on weight and a loaded down JKU Sahara could have stiffer springs than a 2DR Rubicon. Even with a BB, you'll want new shocks, so the Rubicon suspension would be replaced anyway. I'd probably find a spring lift with decent shocks and trackbars and sell your Rubicon suspension for a couple hundred bucks to make up the difference. I like my Full Traction kit a lot and selling the stock springs and shocks and the quick disco's out of the FT kit made the FT kit really cost me $400 or so.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
For reference on both of my 2012 4 door Rubicons I added a front bumper and winch and only lost just shy of 1/4 of an inch. I added a brawler lite with bar and a WARN 9.5CTI. I started with the steel cable and took it off but didn't notice a difference.
I can't say that I love the stock ride I much prefer the RK springs. I would not add a BB. If you need more clearance get springs and shocks to give yourself a better ride and the clearance.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys. I know I will probably not notice a huge difference in ride but I keep coming back to the fact that I feel like Im stressing the springs too much with a BB. As mentioned above, same coils with less room to travel. Newer springs would hopefully be better quality and eliminate the wasting of the spring potential in the stock shocks. I think I will look into the basics for spring upgrades. RK is getting good plugs.

:beer:

·
Registered
129 Posts
I ran the TF BB for a year and a half, was perfectly happy with the ride and how it handled the Shrockworks front and Expedition One rear bumpers. I now run with an OME spring suspension, but kept a lot of the TF parts that were not included with the OME kit. The reason I changed was because I had an OME on my TJ, and really liked the ride. Same for the JK. It does ride somewhat better, and still handles the bumpers I run perfectly well. The OME I put on was the standard spring set, but mine is a 2-door Rubi.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.