JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wanted to get some thoughts on the various 2" BB for the unlimited's. I'm considering the AEV spacer system (no shocks), but I also see the Superlift 2" kit (with shocks) for about the same price. I haven't heard really good things about the Superlift shocks though and based on the price of the kit, I assume these are the very low end of what they even offer. I am also thinking about the Tera 2.5" spacer kit (no shocks).

Right now, the AEV is the top of my list and it seems to be the most complete (Tera is charging extra for the shock mount extensions). The Tera kit is probably second and I don't do enough off-roading at this point to be really worried about the factory shocks.

And then I see the Skyjacker kit with the hydro shocks and that one looks good too.

Are the shocks on the lower end kits worth the extra money or am I better off getting one of the other kits and upgrading shocks later when they are needed?

I make it down to the ORV park in Hot Springs, AR a couple of time a year, but otherwise she's a DD. I do work in a few easy trails with kids every now and then too. I put a 2" kit on my original WJ so I'm comfortable that the BB fits my needs and the install will be easy.

Thanks for the advise.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
Skyjacker hydros seem to have good ride quality. It's very easy to get extremely POOR ride quality with low end nitro shocks, I'd steer clear of those myself.

For the money, Rough Country has a pretty good coil spacer kit where you can get shock extensions, track bar bracket, sway bar end links, everything you need. However if you want to step up to coils the Rock Krawler stock mod setup is very nice, hit up RiverCity off road if you do!

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Off road evolution has a new 1.5" hd leveling kit. It is a 2" front coil and a 3/4" rear puck to give clearance for 34" tires and level the jeep. You retain your stock shocks. $235 It might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
I've installed several TF BB's and theyre a good kit.

They also wheel well with shock extensions and some rubi take off shocks if you're on a budget and have a sport.

If you plan to add a heavy front bumper/winch then you'll be swapping front coils before long, as they do sag with spacers and stock coils.
Poly 3" coils work out perfect as a front replacement with a TF BB kit.

·
Registered
13,214 Posts
It's true with the bumpers and sagging. However on my 2dr, installing 4dr Rubicon springs helped out pretty decently.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have the rough country 2.5" BB - which i found to be just fine. I then added JKU rubicon springs for another 1" or so (2dr). And Skyjacker hydro shocks to ultimately remove the BB's shock spacers when my stock shocks got old. I dont plan on losing the coil spacers though - the RC ones work great. the skyjacker hydros are really nice imo. since the jku rubi springs - no sagging or dipping in front due to my bumper and winch - now even less noticable come-back with the hydros.

edit: ah, u will need extended swaybar links in front - use rear stock links and buy new rears - or just buy new fronts with disco's. 2"+ lift with stock links in front is not safe in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have the rough country 2.5" BB - which i found to be just fine. I then added JKU rubicon springs for another 1" or so (2dr). And Skyjacker hydro shocks to ultimately remove the BB's shock spacers when my stock shocks got old. I dont plan on losing the coil spacers though - the RC ones work great. the skyjacker hydros are really nice imo. since the jku rubi springs - no sagging or dipping in front due to my bumper and winch - now even less noticable come-back with the hydros.

edit: ah, u will need extended swaybar links in front - use rear stock links and buy new rears - or just buy new fronts with disco's. 2"+ lift with stock links in front is not safe in my opinion.
I did something similar to my unlimited. Got the Rock Krawler BB with discos and picked up a good cheap set of rubi shocks/springs. I have a heavy XRC bumper and winch and I'm very pleased at the quality, performance and cost of the entire setup. Gotta ask yourself how often and hard will you hit the trail. My DD does awesome with this setup.

·
Banned
5,598 Posts
Pucks are pucks.

I ran the Rough Country Basic Kit for a year. 139.00 bucks and they give a 10% JKO discount if you call them up. Don't get their shocks because they suck, just use the extensions that come with the basic kit. If you want longer fron sway bar links, just go to the "free" section here, they are usually a pair of stock rear ones in there. Hell, you can make quick discos out of them no problem.

Ride that and save for a spring lift.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Appreciate the posts. I hadn't thought about the RC lift. A quick check of their site and both the basic and series II look very good. The Series II adds the rear trackbar bracket and swaybar links. The pricing is reasonable too. Good tip on avoiding the RC shocks. I think I will stick with the factory shocks and a bracket. When they wear out I will get something better and get rid of the brackets. I like that idea.

I have the stubby bumper kit on my factory bumper and like the look with my light bar so I don't see myself going to a heavier bumper in the near future. That keeps the sagging issue at bay.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I have the stubby bumper kit on my factory bumper and like the look with my light bar so I don't see myself going to a heavier bumper in the near future. That keeps the sagging issue at bay.

Thanks
Pics of the setup? And do you plan on adding a winch? If yes then you might get some sag. Plate and winch itself adds up as does the line. Cable will be cheaper but heavier.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Appreciate the posts. I hadn't thought about the RC lift. A quick check of their site and both the basic and series II look very good. The Series II adds the rear trackbar bracket and swaybar links. The pricing is reasonable too. Good tip on avoiding the RC shocks. I think I will stick with the factory shocks and a bracket. When they wear out I will get something better and get rid of the brackets. I like that idea.

Thanks
if you want brackets and there is some option without them that is cheaper - i will give you my shock brackets free - u pay shipping.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
My factory stubby bumper kit is this: http://www.quadratec.com/products/12106_0004_07.htm
Pretty basic, but I like the look. I have gotten so used to the look of the stubby that the normal bumpers seem massive by comparison. No winch on the horizon at this point.

Blacksheep - I really appreciate your offer. Jeep owners helping each other is one of the great things about a good forum. I have a feeling I am going to go with the RC and it will have the brackets.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.