JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can some recomend me a float charger for my yellow top?

my wife always forgets to start my jeep while i am on deployment. and then i have to deal with a dead battery when I get home and the drama with wife when i get home.

so i would like a good "trickle chager" that i can use to prevent the dead battery and the wife drama.

thanks

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Joe - Have you thought about just disconnecting the bettery.. A yellow top can sit for a year with out any issues..

But if you can't do that.. Then that battery Tender looks cool.. :D

·
Registered
399 Posts
I use a Battery Tender on my "new" bike. Bikes 8 years old, and still has the original battery. Didn't have one for my "old" bikes, and used to go through batteries every 2 years.:beer:

·
Registered
71 Posts
I used a batterytender on my mustang that only came out on sunny days. The original battery lasted over 10 years!!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Have you tried doing this?

VEHICLE STORAGE
If you are leaving your vehicle dormant for more than 21 days you may want to take steps to protect your battery.

You may:

• Remove Cartridge fuse #15 in the Power Distribution Center labeled Ignition-Off Draw (IOD).

• Store the removed IOD fuse in the Power Distribution Center location #11 labeled “IOD Storage.”

• Or, disconnect the negative cable from the battery.

• Anytime you store your vehicle, or keep it out of service (i.e. vacation) for two weeks or more, run the air conditioning system at idle for about five minutes in the fresh air and high blower setting. This will insure adequate system lubrication to minimize the possibility of compressor damage when the system is started again.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the responses.

I looked @ the battery tender plus. and it's ouput is is 12v @ 1.25A

Optima says to do a float charge at 13.4-13.8 V and not to exced 1A.

so my question is this. all you fine gents that recommeded the battery tender have you used it with out issuse on an optima battery?

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Joe - Have you thought about calling Optima and seeing what they suggest?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i can not call anyone. I am out to sea, and only get one hour a day of internet access. i could probably email them.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
i can not call anyone. I am out to sea, and only get one hour a day of internet access. i could probably email them.
I'll call them for ya.. And get back to ya.. :beer:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Joe - This is what I got from Optima in email..

Hello

We do not “Officially” endorse specific maintainer/chargers yet we will supply information about devices that our customers and staff have used and liked. Here are a couple:

Ctek, Multi US 7000 or 7002:
http://www.ctek.com/EN-US/Buy-US-Charger.aspx
Interacter, EX 12 volt model:
http://www.interacter.com/EX_Page.htm

Thank you,
Amanda
Optima Customer Service

HTH

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
that is fucking awsome of you thanks alot ben. I will have to buy you some beers next time i make to sout carolina. thanks a bunch. :beer::beer: :beer:

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Hey.. Anything for a Jeepin buddy!! :beer:

·
Registered
479 Posts
I have the waterproof Battery tender, small, and does 810mah. I use it on everything from riding mower, to diesel tow rig. Two yellow tops in my arsenal.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all the info. I ordered the CTEK today. it seemed like the best choice since it is made for use with AGM batteries. thanks for the input, and been thanks for the research.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts