JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to tack weld ujoint caps on Rubicon axle shafts...
Does it matter...disconnect batt first? or ECU first?
Disconnecting ECU is a matter of pulling off ALL 4 connectors?
When disconnecting batt, remove +cable or -cable or both?
Is it possible to throw bad code upon reconnection of batt?
Is it possible that factory alarm will be activated (sound) upon reconnection of batt?

I am scared shi*less of the jk brain and REALLY dont want to cause it to start messin up...after battery (or ECU) is reconnected (when finished w/ welding). Thanks for any advice that you guys can give on the topic.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
if it puts your mind at rest at all, PhilD recently tack welded his caps while the shafts were installed. He disconnected the battery and the ECU when doing so and had no problem. Do not be surprised if the horn chirps when you reconnect the battery.

does not matter which you unplug first. I would just unplug batt first to reduceany chance of a surge when discoing the ecu

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so...doesnt matter which is disconnected first...Batt or ECU? and just disconnect positive side of batt? Thanks WTF, youve been a big help in the past...

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
for the batt...you really just need to disconnect one side to break the circuit. I would still just disconnect both sides to prevent any feedback into the cell or anythinggrounded to the batt/block

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
last question...ECU disconnected before or after disconnecting batt?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The way I have done this is as follows:-
1. Disconnect Neg Battery
2. Disconnect Pos Battery
3. Disconnect ECU

4.Do Work

5. Reconnect ECU
6. Reconnect Pos Battery
7. Reconnect Neg Battery

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
111 Posts
How do you disconnect the ECU?

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
The way I have done this is as follows:-
1. Disconnect Neg Battery
2. Disconnect Pos Battery
3. Disconnect ECU

4.Do Work

5. Reconnect ECU
6. Reconnect Pos Battery
7. Reconnect Neg Battery

Hope this helps.
X2 That is what I generally do.

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
for the batt...you really just need to disconnect one side to break the circuit. I would still just disconnect both sides to prevent any feedback into the cell or anythinggrounded to the batt/block
That's what I've always done, it takes all of 5 seconds more to disconnect both.

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know its no big deal to you guys to help out, but I can't THANK YOU enough for the info. When a (new to the jk) guy like me is able to get good advice from the BIG DOGS, it makes all the difference in the world. You senior members get bombarded w so many types of questions that it must make you apprehensive to sometimes log in. As you can probably tell from some of my ramblings on this forum, I have been delt some difficult blows throughout my life, (recently lost my mom...+ my dads health is deteriorating rapidly )...but this hobby...along with the support on this site...is like a scenic detour on an otherwise rough and rocky path. SH*T...how off topic was THAT?

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
There are some recent pics and info on the OEM axleshaft u-joints loosing clips and subsequently allowing the caps to back out causing total ujoint and outer axle shaft failure. May not be "likely" depending on who you ask but its an ugly enough senario (without spares) that the tack weld method of securing the caps in place is a minimum amt of preventive maintenence. I'm gonna tack mine tomorrow...before heading out to wheel this wknd. Other people are...replacing the complete l/r axle assembly w/ Superior or Alloy USA upgrades and some simply keep an eye on the u-joints (clips and caps). I would rather do some fix cause im usally tired and forgetful after a long day of wheeling. BTW...I believe, but am not 100% sure that the clips have to go before the caps will "walk out". The carnage pics of a recent failure are posted here somewhere, but i need to go back and see what/ who's trip that was. (think it was "sun and breakage"....not sure)

·
Registered
55 Posts
Ok, thanks for sharing! Appreciate it. Looks like something I have to dig into soon as well, then... neverending story, this Jeep syndrome. But who wants it to end anyway?:D

·
Super Moderator
15,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
yea...dont ever tell your wife/ girlfriend that "this is the last mod, im gonna make...I promise" she will soon think you are just a liar! Found the threads that should help...
trail & trip reports- Twin Cone 7-13-08 sun & breakage
writeup dept- Tack welded caps on D30
JK general discussion- Worried after seeing Twin Cones carnage

·
Registered
5,199 Posts
There are some recent pics and info on the OEM axleshaft u-joints loosing clips and subsequently allowing the caps to back out causing total ujoint and outer axle shaft failure.
X2 The factory caps are just held in with c-clips, not full circle clips. If the cap rotates it will kick out the clip and then work loose, quite often sometime later when you pick up speed and increase the centrifugal force. Tacking the caps in place will help prevent them from rotating.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts