JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased the banks monster exhaust for my 2008 jeep jk . The kit leaks at every seam . I fixed banks poor clamps by using band clamps ,the issue is really the relief cuts being cut to far . After the leaks were gone it was time for the test my mileage went done 8 to 10 miles per gallon no joke absolutly un exeptable .I lost at least 40 % of my power. I called banks to find they have not tested this system ,again very disappointing. Banks is the only exhaust kit that has a open through muffler. basically they are using diesel technology on gas engines. However new computerized gas engines require back pressure to run properly. The increase in exhaust temperature melted my rear bumper. I cant stress enough do not run banks products.My jeep is now back to stock and happy . I will do some research on some other kits when I get my money back from banks,

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is the real truth. there is no troll involved whatever you mean by that. Banks has cost me alot of time and money . I wouldnt suggest banks exhaust to anyone other than Chris Hanson.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought this forum was for readers to get information on there jeep and or products . Im sorry if the truth offends anyone.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't think anyone is offended. But, generally new users have a welcome post with maybe a few days or weeks of lurking before making that first post. When a user's first post is a bash then you automatically have to question the intent and validity of the post. For all we know you're a <insert Bank's competitor name> employee trying to make Bank's look bad.

·
Banned
3,226 Posts
for what it is worth, I used a magnaflow muffler. I did not have a noticeable change in gass milage. There may be some miniscule increase in power but nothing to write home about. Main benifit was relocating the muffler and a little more pleasing sound. It is also a straight through muffler. Banks is deffinetly not the only straight through muffler out there.

Sorry to hear about your experience and welcome to the forum! :beer:

·
Registered
9 Posts
i have banks. works just fine. :D

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
For all we know you're a <insert Bank's competitor name> employee trying to make Bank's look bad.
My first thought too. Not a good first post to those of us who've been around the forum block a few times.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i just built my own "custom exhaust" and it is nothing more than a magnaflow tube muffler that works quite well, not the loud rumbling sound of a flowmaster but still a bit throaty when you get on it and i got rid of all of the 90's past the cat's. basically cut the exhaust pipe under the drivers door and undid the factory clamp holding the stock muffler on the rest of the pipe, undid the clamp hangers. then just remove the section of 2.5 pipe that goes up and over the rear axle. then clamping the new magnaflow up on the remaining pipe (which fits rather nicely against the frame up and out of the way from everything) and clamping a turndown on the other end of the muffler way before the rear axle. i also utilized the existing factory hanger just before the rear axle and welded that piece to the end of the turndown. it looks so good mopar couldn't have done it better and it all fit together very nice, neat and cleanly.
now for the air intake: i went to the local part house bought one of these nopi air intakes with the large cone filter and the cheesy little chrome tube. basically take a hacksaw and cut the tub down to fit the length that i needed and then popped out the factory air box and now have this wanna be nopi/ k&n super cone filter mounted where the air box used to be. i know that some of you are going to say that the hot air from the engine is going to screw up the air intake and that it would run better with some sort of cold air box and blah,blah, blah and that might be true in some freekin german laboratory somewhere BUT, this setup works great and i did the same thing on my rock buggy and it works awesome. i'll keep everyone updated and let them know how it's working further down the road. btw i am getting 18.8 - 19.2 mpg now and it feels like has more power. of coarse it also sounds like you would expect a peppy little 6 cylinder to sound. I LOVE IT and this is what it cost to do it. magnaflow 2.5" tube muffler = $64 and some change + wanna be k&n cone shaped air filter = $19.99 + piece of nopi crap chrome tube that all of my hoses, sensors, and filter go to = $39.95 TOTAL IS LESS THAN $140 BUCKS AND SOUNDS GREAT RUNS GREAT AND BEATS THE CRAP OUT OF BLOWING 3 TO 4 HUNDRED DOLLARS ON BASICALLY THE SAME STUFF. we are talking about a 3.8 liter v-6 and not some badass, souped up LS-7. if you want to buy into all the 349.00 matched whatevers that some over paid engineer squeezed an extra 1.5 horses out of be my guest, and good luck at the track. i just drive mine back and forth to work and playing in the woods and on the rocks with mine so i guess i just dont mind saving some money for gas and paying for something that probably work everybit as good as the high dollar whosevers. thanks for reading my two cents and good luck with you projects, whatever they may be. God bless America and terrorist can all burn in hell. thanks, your buddy the rockjunky:)

·
Registered
169 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've never had to do with Banks, but I've heard a lot of positive comments on them. Some of my fellow club members run them, and are very pleased.

Sounds surprising to me, if Banks themselves never tested it before putting it out on the market... it's their reputation on the line!

I'm convinced your story is who you feel, but it would've been interesting to hear some other inputs from others who run Banks as well...:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
okay guys sorry to start my first post that way .I was just so frustrated with banks . I know now before you buy an after market part to call the manufacturer and ask for test results .I love my jeep and like working on it. I recently installed old man emu suspension wich I learned a little there too . for other people that may have a problem the rear drop track bar bracket was designed on a computer program auto cad on the computer the part would fit good but after they had it powder coated it adds quiet a bit of material wich makes it unable to fit until you gring of the powder coat on 6 joining surfaces. They have fixed the problem and are sending me a new part.I have been very disapointed in the products that are put on the shelf for the consumers to test but I guess the level of service across the board has gone down for everything .Im not here to bash just to spread the knowledge ive learned and learn from you guys. I will try to post some pictuers as i like looking at what other people have done to there jeeps.
Happy Jeepin:)

·
Registered
441 Posts
You can also lean on the community. I'm sure you would have gotten some feedback if you had asked for information or opinions on the Banks exhaust system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
woods
for my situation if I would have called banks to get there dyno results before I purchased there Exhaust I would have discovered it hasnt been on a dyno, or tested at all.I bought there exhaust thinking they had a good reputation and a good r&d department.If I would have called old man emu I could have found out how there jeep was equiped (weight) and what lift they ended up with.
Happy jeepin:)

·
Registered
6,287 Posts
i took my muffler right off and made a pipe to put in its place and i got 5 mpg increase, i think smashed the hell out of it and have since added a thrush muffler (similar to a flowmaster 40) and had a custom pipe bent up for me by my local exhaust guy and it works greata ans sounds good to.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Garrett do you have a sound clip and photos of this kit installed? If I were to get the Edelbrock setup from you guys do you have it in stainless steel? Meaning the pipes, muffler, tip. I don't do that aluminized stuff anymore.

I really don't see me destroying the muffler as I don't do any of the really extreme stuff. (YET!)
I don't have a sound clip of it, and I'll see if I can find a picture of it installed. Unfortunately both of our shop JK's are out for events or work so I can't snap one and post it. I'll post up if I can find something.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I don't have a sound clip of it, and I'll see if I can find a picture of it installed. Unfortunately both of our shop JK's are out for events or work so I can't snap one and post it. I'll post up if I can find something.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts