JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all

I have a set of 35" MTR/k's mounted on 17" ProComp steelies and I was having some major issues getting them balanced correctly. After extensive research I decided to go with balance beads, went with the balance bead manufacturers suggestion for amount of beads in relation to tire/wheel size, and had them installed. After adding the beads I removed the lead weights that were previously installed on those wheels (as per recommendation from my tire guy). However, I am still experiencing major unbalancing issues in a couple of those tires.

Is there a way to balance tires that have already been bead-balanced?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. It is interesting the feedback that I'm getting on balance beads. I did a lot of research prior to going the bead route and everyone seemed to think it was the cat's @$$. I thought it a little odd though when I did the bead balancing that the amount of weight (in beads) I was told to put in there was identical for each tire and only based on tire size. Every time I have balanced tires I have had different amounts of weight on each tire, some needed very little and some need a tonne. However, I trusted the manufacturer of the beads which might have led to my current issue.

This specific set of MTR/ks has given me the greatest amount of issues so I thought that bead-balancing was kind of a last resort type of thing, and as a result I've been contemplating getting rid of the 35s altogether and going back down to 33s since the bead balancing didn't work out. If I can't seem to get the tires to balance using traditional weights, and bead balancing didn't work out... I guess my only option is to remove the tires, remove the beads, and either cut my losses and sell the tires, or find another method. I've done "road-force" balancing (??) before with a set of 35" BFG AT KOs that were giving me trouble but that was crazy expensive and didn't find it improved much so I want to avoid that.

So I guess the simple answer to my original question is that there is no way to re-balance tires with beads in them if the bead balancing didn't work.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks ExWrench for that thorough and humorous read. It makes a little sense, though all of that sounds a lot more involved than I want to get in balancing these damn MTR/k's. I guess it opens up one more option for me though which I hadn't considered:

-Remove and collect beads.
-Re-balance tires on rims using traditional methods (read: weights).
-Re-install beads through valve-stem to compensate for any slight discrepancies/unbalancing.

Does this sound about right or is there something against weights+beads? Like I said, when I first did the bead-balancing the tire shop didn't remove the original lead weights and I only removed them once I was told that they wouldn't be needed anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.