JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys that installed backup cameras - either through your Lockpick or through an aftermarket system, what did you use for a camera & where did you mount it?

I was thinking of not drilling a hole in my bumper (for when I sell it after I get my heavy duty bumper) - but I want to mount it centerline - preferably under the tire (to help w/ trailer hitch-up) - but don't want to risk bashing it with the trailer when I hook it up.

I've seen some installations here already - looking for a longer list w/ photos of what you have.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I just ordered a system from Total Vision. the monitor is going to replace my rear view mirror. I'll be putting the camera in the rear bumper. (I know you said you are trying to avoid that)
I'll post up pictures when I get it all installed.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. How well does that work at night?

·
Registered
216 Posts
Off the pavement it works decent, with the help of my reverse lights. Sometimes I don't use it though at night on highways, cause when someone gets on your ass it can be blinding.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Off the pavement it works decent, with the help of my reverse lights. Sometimes I don't use it though at night on highways, cause when someone gets on your ass it can be blinding.
I've been looking for a rear mounted camera... the site says they are infrared, which from my experience they don't put out a whole lot of light. I have a security camera that has infrared led's and they are red in color and not bright at all.

Does anyone know of a small camera that would fit flush in the bumper?

Thanks,

Steve

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
What I did was take a centercap from my aev cap that the sticker flew off of, drilled it out and put a cam in the cap. I then made a quick disconnect with some amphenol plugs I had around the shop. I will take some pictures this weekend.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What I did was take a centercap from my aev cap that the sticker flew off of, drilled it out and put a cam in the cap. I then made a quick disconnect with some amphenol plugs I had around the shop. I will take some pictures this weekend.
Now THAT's a smokin' idea! I'd love to see the photo of that.

I looked at the lockpick cameras. The small one is a $50 rip-off:
http://tinyurl.com/2d3wa4h

And the big one would be mounted off to the side, not on the centerline of the hitch. Plus, here in Texas, if you obscure the license plate - even part of the plate - it's a ticket. I haven't seen them stop someone for it, but it's just on the list of things they'll nail you for when you do get stopped.

Show me your photos of your small cameras mounted!

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I installed the night-vision camera on a piece of aluminum that I JB-welded to the trailer hitch - works perfectly.
Thanks Chromantix - have you ever hitched up a trailer? I'd love to have that view on things, but am afraid of destroying it when I hitch up.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I made a cal to tvandnav2go and they had four different cameras to choose from. (All $99)

I went with the drill through camera (reverse lens, low lux, wide angle)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks Chromantix - have you ever hitched up a trailer? I'd love to have that view on things, but am afraid of destroying it when I hitch up.
No, but I'll try to do that this weekend (have a trailer). In-law is coming so if I don't respond, please be kind. :innocent:

Here are two pics of the install. I took an aluminum bracket, cut it to size, and painted it. Then I scuffed up the top of the hitch and mated the two with JB Weld. The blue tape is painters tape used to protect the hitch from when I painted the bracket again:

This is a shot from about 10 feet away:

It looks better in person... I'm happy to not have to muck with the bumper. I have to route the cable this weekend and hook it up to a trailer, will post more pics (including the in-car view of the trailer).

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Now THAT's a smokin' idea! I'd love to see the photo of that.

I looked at the lockpick cameras. The small one is a $50 rip-off:
http://tinyurl.com/2d3wa4h

And the big one would be mounted off to the side, not on the centerline of the hitch. Plus, here in Texas, if you obscure the license plate - even part of the plate - it's a ticket. I haven't seen them stop someone for it, but it's just on the list of things they'll nail you for when you do get stopped.

Show me your photos of your small cameras mounted!
Pics as promissed.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pics as promissed.
Schnauzer, that's beautiful. Thanks for posting. I'm gonna try & do the same I think. I wonder if I should do that, or mount it to the spare mount, peeing through the wheel?? Got any photos of what your camera sees mounted there?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Done

Ok, the install is done. It's not as snazzy as the installs above, and that's totally fine w/ me. I was looking for something quick and easy to do that wouldn't require cutting the bumper or lots of fabrication. To the pics:

This is what it looks like all done (it's barely noticeable in the pic):

This is a side view about a foot from a mock "curb":

This is the inside view of the above shot. I'd say it's pretty accurate:

This is backing up to a trailer (note the hitch is HUGE in the pic):

And this is with the trailer attached:

Bottom line: I'm very happy. I'm going to test out the night vision later this weekend but think it'll work out just fine.

When I replace the stock bumper, I'll put LED's in as backups, eliminating the need for the night vision. When that happens, I'll get a little more crafty like the guys above. Until then... SATISFIED. :)

·
Registered
303 Posts

Wicked Infa red night viewing distance. the angle view is better than 120+- 5 Degrees. Got the Camera from Ebay too.

·
Premium Member
464 Posts
Schnauzer, that's beautiful. Thanks for posting. I'm gonna try & do the same I think. I wonder if I should do that, or mount it to the spare mount, peeing through the wheel?? Got any photos of what your camera sees mounted there?
I will take a pic of the view when i have a chance. I made these little aluminum spacers out of tubing that allow me to adjust the angle of the camera, i need a slightly sharper angle on the next set to fine tune my view.

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wicked Infa red night viewing distance. the angle view is better than 120+- 5 Degrees. Got the Camera from Ebay too.
Guys, thanks for all the pix. This is giving me plenty of ideas! :bounce:

toolmanTim - do you have any photos of what you see peeking out through the wheel like that?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts