JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
trying to get a wider stance on 8 inch wide tires. What would be a good number for backspacing and offset? Or would it be better to run the route of new tires? Thoughts? Thanks.

·
Registered
125 Posts
0 offset, or 4.5" of backspacing would be ideal.

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
8 inch wide wheels ??

·
JKO Dickhead
3,522 Posts
I'm so confused... 8 inch wide tires ? or 8 inch wide wheels ?

·
Registered
427 Posts
He's got to be terminally confused. A P-metric car tire in a 205/**-** would be an 8" wide tire.

Dear sir,
Are you talking about the really hard metal thingy that is inside of the squishy black rubbery thing when your talking about 8" wide? If so, that would be called a wheel or a rim.

If you are talking about the soft and squishy black rubber thing, that would typically called out as a tire.

An 8" tire is about the width of what is on your 1984 Cavalier in the driveway of your mobile home. Actually, your mobile home likely has around an 8" wide tire as well.

I bet your Jeep tire is more like 10 inches or more wide, a 255 would be 10". Heck, it might even be 11, 12 or even 12.5" wide!

So shed some light please, on these Cooper Discoverer squishy rubber things, what is the actual size in numbers that the manufacturer shows?

What really hard metal thingy are you using? Were these provided by FCA on your jeep when new, or where they purchased later? What company made them (brand)? What does that company call them (model)? Do you have the actual specifications for them?

An example: Hey, I have a stock 2010 Wrangler with a set of 285/75-17 tires mounted to a set of Hillbilly Joe Superstar wheels in 17"x9" with 0mm offset and 5" backspace. If I wanted a wider stance that would not look goofy or jack my unit bearings up every 3 months, what would be a good recommendation for a wheel spacer? Or should I just buy a wheel with proper backspacing built in, and if so what would be a good back spacing recommendation for my 285/77-17 tires?

That would end the back and forth crap, and you might even get taken seriously.

I'm helpful!

·
Registered
16 Posts
OP - Larry is spot on. Here are some pics to explain things: Wheel Offset vs. Wheel Backspacing Explained

Offset and backspacing both effect how far your wheels will stick out. A good rule of thumb is to have 4.5in of backspacing on a 17in wheel.

HTH

Patrick

1 - 8 of 8 Posts