JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok! Running stock 17" rims with 1.5" spacers. Read that stock 17" rims have a huge 6.5" backspacing, so If I want to replace my stock rims and spacers with steel rims I'd want to run with rim with 5" backspacing, but would be better off with a rim with 4.25" to 4.5" backspacing in case I wanted to go with bigger tires in the future!

My math right of do I need to be skooled some more?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
IIRC, The BS on the stock wheels is only 6. 1.5" Spacers would be right and that is what i have used in the past with zero problems.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big A's number make sense.

4.5" is the max backspacing you want to run wider tires. 4" will work even better if you don't mind them sticking out a little further and if you ever think you might run a tire wider than 12.5".
Thanks guys! so I'll be safe with 17" rims with a backspacing of 4 to 4.5"

Plan on changing out my stock alloys for steelies!

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
Thanks guys! so I'll be safe with 17" rims with a backspacing of 4 to 4.5"

Plan on changing out my stock alloys for steelies!
Sounds right. I'm running 4.25" back spacing with a 285/75r16 and the tires only stick out about 1" past the stock flair.

·
Registered
799 Posts
:D I don't havem, but if you use steelies they have to have a BS of 3.75" or LESS (3.5/3.25), otherwise they won't clear your brake calipers

If you then use adapters, your wheels will stickout like sore thumbs

Thats if you have an 07 or later JK !!

:grinpimp::grinpimp: JIMBO

·
Registered
799 Posts
:D Yea, I'm afreaid about the only choices you have for steel is 15"x8"

JIMBO, I think you mean you need 3.75" of BS or less if you use a 15" wheel. I don't think it matters if it's a steel wheel or not (although, maybe only steel wheels are made in that diameter... I don't know).
Someone may make larger dia. steelies, but your really gonna have to pay and I doubt if you get many choices in width !!

·
Registered
799 Posts
:D WOW, thankz for that, I didn't know anybody even used em

Thanx for the info

·
Registered
329 Posts
jp mag did a article on backspacing about 3 months ago, they said with 17's up to a 35 inch tire 4.7 was the ideal backspace for the jk, it was a pretty good article

·
Registered
799 Posts
:) Yea, 4.5" has been the BS, I've used for several sets of ProComps on my JK

I've used adapters/spacers, mainly because of the Bushwackers !!

:grinpimp::smokin: JIMBO

·
Registered
41 Posts
back spacing.......

Depending on which lift you go with it will require a 4.5 back spacing. 4.0 will rub your lift. I have a poly 4.5" lift and it does require a 4.5 back spacing and that leaves only minimal clearance on each side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts