JKOwners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the call today that my refinery, ConocoPhillips in Trainer, PA, is closed as of Friday, Jan 27th.

We are the latest of three Delaware river refineries to close with two more to follow very soon - Sunoco Marcus Hook and Philly.

Official reason is Conoco is not making money, I guess $14 billion in 2011 profits is not enough.

They also said there is not enough demand for gasoline...hah! So why the fuck are prices still going up!!!!

Anyway, back into the job market...wish me luck!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
mmmmmm.

Conoco is one of our customers. we were under the impression that they got bought out and had the lay offs. we delivered our product and still got paid before it was even installed.

this was last November we heard of the new management.

·
Coonasian
1,833 Posts
I have one more year in the oil business. Hope I make it. I hope you find something shortly. Obama has also made regulation outlandish since the BP spill. The shutdown is probably immediate response to the death of the Keystone project. Fossil fuel is bad! I think China will make a deal with the Canadians shortly.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
mmmmmm.

Conoco is one of our customers. we were under the impression that they got bought out and had the lay offs. we delivered our product and still got paid before it was even installed.

this was last November we heard of the new management.
Conoco has closed the Trainer PA refinery, we pulled feed Sept 28th. Our Alliance refinery in Louisiana is up for sale but is still operating.

No new management although ConocoPhillips is in the process of splitting into two companies.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have one more year in the oil business. Hope I make it. I hope you find something shortly. Obama has also made regulation outlandish since the BP spill. The shutdown is probably immediate response to the death of the Keystone project. Fossil fuel is bad! I think China will make a deal with the Canadians shortly.
Nah, we pulled feed back on Sept 28th. Apparently our facility has been losing money and with all the refined product being imported at lower costs they saw no way we would make money anytime soon.

Gasoline can be refined for much cheaper in India, Russia, China, etc. Due to this fact the big oil companies want to run terminals and pipe lines - more money in distribution.

·
Registered
5,113 Posts
that sucks! good luck with the hunt! it is a scary place out there! i just updated my resume for a higher internal position here and it was crazy! i havent seen my resume in almost two years lol! i sounded like an idiot in every part of it.......

·
Registered
159 Posts
China and India have been buying HUGE shares in the Oil Sands in Alberta. There is a proposed pipeline to take oil through the mountains to the west coast for easy shipment overseas.

The Keystone project is a pretty big loss for the US and Canada...loss of jobs and you still have to get your oil from the middle east...

Good Luck on the job hunt!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.