JKOwners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone here ever broken their back? My husband rolled his car yesterday and ended up breaking his back. He went into emergency surgery and has another scheduled for the morning. He’ll be stuck in the hospital for about a week and a half...

I’m wondering if anyone here has broken their back because I’m hoping to get some help with how I can help him recover and rest at home. I know the physical therapy will play a big roll but anything I can get him for here at home? A walker? Certain pillows? More ice packs? Anything of that sort.

Thanks in advance guys.

·
you can go piss up a rope
1,235 Posts
Has anyone here ever broken their back? My husband rolled his car yesterday and ended up breaking his back. He went into emergency surgery and has another scheduled for the morning. He’ll be stuck in the hospital for about a week and a half...

I’m wondering if anyone here has broken their back because I’m hoping to get some help with how I can help him recover and rest at home. I know the physical therapy will play a big roll but anything I can get him for here at home? A walker? Certain pillows? More ice packs? Anything of that sort.

Thanks in advance guys.
Marcy,

That’s terrible news. I do wish your husband a quick and healthy recovery. As a person who has broken his back (30’ fall off a rock ledge) I can tell you the best thing I can recommend you give him is your patience and understanding. Recovery is a long, painful road and there will be times he gets frustrated and will be an unbearable pain in the ass. Look past it and let him know you are in it with him all the way. A caring, understanding wife is better than any pillow or remedy. If you guys need help with anything, I’m just down the hill.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Crap Marcy, Sorry to hear that. I no help, unfortunately.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I compressed my L1 6 years ago sledding. Off work for 10 weeks, light duty 4 more after that. Physio religiously after that.
Also keep the drugs to a minimum. I did probably 1/4 of what was prescribed. Back injuries turn people into addicts was the best advice I was given. Hope he has a full recovery.

·
4,005 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Marcy,

That’s terrible news. I do wish your husband a quick and healthy recovery. As a person who has broken his back (30’ fall off a rock ledge) I can tell you the best thing I can recommend you give him is your patience and understanding. Recovery is a long, painful road and there will be times he gets frustrated and will be an unbearable pain in the ass. Look past it and let him know you are in it with him all the way. A caring, understanding wife is better than any pillow or remedy. If you guys need help with anything, I’m just down the hill.
I know that I’ll be the one who receives a lot of the frustration grumpiness and I’m going to try my best to not let it get to me. We went thru something similar last year but not nearly as bad. At this same race track last year he broke both wrists. I was 8 months pregnant so I’m just grateful I’m not pregnant again lol but we do have an almost 2 year old and an almost 1 year old. So, I’ll have a lot on my plate for 6 months but I’m trying to remember that it could have been worse.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
That really sucks. Sad to hear. I wish you good luck for the recovery. Backs can be very fickle, even without damage to the spinal cord, (which is what everyone thinks when they hear broken back).

I'm no help either, sorry, other than encouragement to persevere through it. As above, watch out for the painkillers. No profit to being in pain, but they are not to be trusted.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Sorry to hear that Marcy. I can’t be any help with advice. I think there is some good advice above.

I hope and pray that your husband recovers well and things are as smooth as they possibly can be.

·
Registered
749 Posts
I didn't break my back but I had back surgery , didn't go to rehab right away , wished I had .
Suffered because of it unnecessarily ,
After about three weeks of rehab I started to walk without pain .
After about nine weeks it was like brand new .

And about the pain pills , just don't .
A little bit of pain lets you know you are alive .
So easy to become a slave to them , had friends have a hard time getting off them , I didn't like how they made me feel .
They constipated me real bad , (I've been told that I was full of shit before , but that was crazy).

·
Super Moderator
6,181 Posts
really sorry this happened,Marcy.
Am glad he is going to heal,tho'!

I'll be 'praying for his speedy & as-pain-free a recovery as is possible.
He's fortunate to have someone like you there for him at this time.
I don't know him , nor have I broken my back , yet I'll sggt to just try n be as patient w/ him as you can , particularly a little on down this mending road ; we tough menfolk often revert to babies where/when lotsa pain is involved. We cannot tolerate even half of the levels of physical pain that our women are able to deal with.

you have friends here to vent or talk to .

edit:
if he takes morphine based Rx, absolutely don't hesitate to pull the 'placebo switch' after a while - it works & will prevent further possible life altering scenarios- so that he's really only taking half of what his mind/body thinks is the whole dose. I speak from experience. As mentioned, it's not humor when I underline that comment about
them causing constipation. That will be miserable in his type injury , even in uninjured life it's challenging ,so , roll half a banana in chai seeds for his breakfast each morning or slather virgin coconut butter on a piece of toasted cake or raisin bread, whatever he can eat ; both will vanquish opiate's concrete-packed stools effectively; combined they could bore thru granite.

·
Registered
3,754 Posts
Sorry to hear that!

·
V8 dreams
3,568 Posts
We see back surgery patients all the time. My advice would be listen to the doctor/neuro on what was injured/broken and what to do next. Almost all backs come to me with precautions, protocols, imaging, and diagnosis of what actually happened...then we get to work.

Pain pill addiction is an epidemic, but if you don’t let him take more than prescribed and you guys don’t just use a random doc that doesn’t give a shit, they will stop being prescribed at some point (if he even needs them). I do not like hurting so i use them when i have surgery, that’s what they’re for. I see people try to tough it out without pain meds and sometimes it inhibits progress in rehab.

Good luck to you and your family, you all have a tough road ahead...try to remember it is just temporary(every patient and caregiver i know gets upset at some point during recovery), and keep us updated if you wish. Hopefully we can help

1 - 13 of 13 Posts